THE REATTA LOUNGE

Ronnie

They went one field goal ahead of Bama. Beating Alabama is huge deal in Knoxville. It's like winning the Superbowl.

https://scontent-atl3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/311830257_5996590350391910_5568784033040179190_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=ILG9qbxDSREAX_i1O3a&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.xx&oh=00_AT-3mCJv10tmM5LuMhVkZ2vqT8VUvI3YXvgMaV18ZLdcKg&oe=6350F7BC

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

Great player named Reggie White went to Tennessee...

Who did he play for?

4 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

Memphis Showboats

Haha. He was a great guy. He was a minister at a church in Knoxville for a while until it burned down. He did a lot to help people. He died to soon.

People on TV have been giving UT hell all day for throwing the goal posts in the Tennessee River and then asking for donations to replace them. I think it's funny because you could pass a hat at a UT tailgate party outside Neyland Stadium and take up enough money to pay for those goal posts, and probably the $100,000 fine for fans running on the field as well.

• Haha 1

I experienced a goal post dismantling and storming of the field once at a USM game when I was a kid. Hard to believe now because they hardly ever win a football game. I think the TN deal was a victory celebration. 

• Like 1

I have a lot of leaves (I mean a lot) to clean up in the fall. Over 20 large oak trees in my lawn area and surrounded by oak trees around the perimeter of what I consider lawn. I use a leaf blower around the house. I use wood mulch, and aside from normal decomposition, I invariably blow mulch out of its borders where I then clean up the leaves by either raking and hauling, or by use of a powered leaf catcher. Either method results in loss of mulch to some degree making routine replacement something Ronnie is trying to avoid.

I suspect that unless the rubber mulch is a "mat" when installed, anything that may be loose would result in a loss by means of clean-up and then necessary replacement anyway. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ron Walker said:

I suspect that unless the rubber mulch is a "mat" when installed, anything that may be loose would result in a loss by means of clean-up and then necessary replacement anyway. 

Absolutely true, rubber can be blown around, but being denser than mulch, it isn't as prevalent. I have stone next to my house and too vigorous application of a leaf blower will move them too so no perfect solution. I think stone would be pretty decent regarding a vacuum, but????🙄 

I've been hearing and reading that rubber can retain the rubber odor for quite a while. I think that might be a problem since my house doesn't get much shade which would heat the rubber. It gets pretty warm here in Tennessee in the summer. Rock is pretty expensive up front for the amount I would need. About 1200 square feet total. A friend recommended that I look into using bark nuggets instead of the shredded mulch I've been using. He said the nuggets would last a couple of years longer. I'm going to look into that to cut down on the labor each year but still might end up using rocks.

Problem with rocks is they last too long. Difficult to get rid of them if you ever want to. Prob rubber is the same though

• Agree 1

Here is my 2 cents worth.   If you are planning on staying and want to minimize work, stones or pebbles or gravel is the way to go.   If cost is the issue, then bark chips or gorilla hair works fine for 2 or 3 years.   Of course, a combination of the two would also be a nice compromise.   A landscape architect could draw a plan which could feature a dry creek made of rocks with gravel/pebble pathways through your plantings with the rest of the yard covered in bark chips or gorilla hair.   I would resist rubber as it may look too artificial.   Have fun with this project as it will enhance your property.   After all, the Reatta needs to look good at home !!!

• Like 1

I talked to a landscaping company that sells the rocks.  He estimated I will need 6-7 cubic yards @ $150 per yard. I forgot to ask about the haul bill. I may get them a scoop at a time. Other side of the story is labor to put them down. I already have landscaping fabric so that is a plus. If I have them delivered I will have to move them from where the truck dumps them all around the house. That will be a big job as you can see by looking at my photo below. Blue is a rough drawing of the house. Red is the beds.

Landscaping Mulch - 2.jpg

Spreading rocks is a chore so perhaps doing the project over 2 years or so can smooth out the labor load and material cost.   Future benefits are reduced yard maintenance, water consumption, and potential fire hazard.   In any case, have some fun with it.............

• Thanks 1

And Ronnie; if you have 6-7 cubic yards delivered, where do you put the pile while you are trucking it to the areas you want one wheelbarrow at a time?

8 minutes ago, ship said:

And Ronnie; if you have 6-7 cubic yards delivered, where do you put the pile while you are trucking it to the areas you want one wheelbarrow at a time?

That is a real problem that I've been thinking about. I think on top of a tarp on the driveway is the best option. The drawback to to that is I don't want the rock truck, that can haul six cubic yards backing over my concrete driveway. It would have to back over the curb and through the yard. I don't know what kind of ruts that would leave that I would have to fill in.  I would really like to haul the rocks myself so I could back up close to where they are needed. I don't how much my little light duty 1/2 ton GMC could haul. I imagine a 1/2 cubic yard at the most. I'm gong back to talk to the guy that sells the rocks about that.

I put rocks around my father's house years ago when I was young., That time I had them dumped in the yard on a tarp. That didn't work out well at all. The tarp will kill the grass pretty quick so you have to work fast. I don't work fast at anything anymore.  🙂 Also, the tarp on the grass will tear while shoveling up the rocks. Once the rocks get in the grass they are almost impossible to get out. The only tool that seems to find them and get them out is a lawn mower. 🙂 

• Like 1