THE REATTA LOUNGE

Ronnie

Good God Girt, I didn't know about asbestos possibly in old plaster!   The stuff behind my bathroom tile looked like gritty cement applied to the lath. 

1 hour ago, ship said:

Good God Girt, I didn't know about asbestos possibly in old plaster!   The stuff behind my bathroom tile looked like gritty cement applied to the lath. 

There's a lot about it on the internet. I wouldn't worry about it. It's not a problem unless you disturb it. I wouldn't do anything to get it in the air like grinding it. We probably got 100 more times exposure by doing brake jobs on our cars in the old days. About all the old cars with brake shoes had asbestos in the brake linings. When you took the brakes drums off they were full of the brake dust. No telling how much I was exposed to the asbestos in brake lining material on the brake shoes. In the garage where I worked we had a machine that would grind the brake shoes to fit the radius of the brake drums after the drums were turned. If you were grinding the shoes for a big truck the dust would get so bad in the garage that we would turn on a big fan to blow it out the door. That was the good ole days. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tile's in and will be grouting on Saturday (need a break from this project 'til then).

UPDATE: Tile & grout are done; toilet & vanity are in....mission complete as of 11/08/22!

Edited by ship
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Changes coming for ROJ website.

The ROJ website is made up of two parts. The forum and the how-to section. Different software is used for each one.

I've been informed that the current software I use for the how-to guides and other documents has come to it's end-of-life cycle. It will no longer be updated or supported in 2023. It is being replaced with a new version that is completely different. It is designed for cellphone and tablet users. For the most part isn't compatible with the current version of the software I used to build the  ROJ website. The programmers that make the software have determined the future is mobile devices taking the place of computers for personal use. They are right. My daughter does everything on her phone. She doesn't even own a home computer, but she does use a laptop computer for work. Mobile devices (phones and tablets) is what most new software is designed for.

What does all this mean for ROJ?  It basically means I will have to convert ROJ to the new version of the software or let ROJ become obsolete and eventually stop working properly. Working on websites has been my hobby for many years so I will probably convert ROJ to the new version of the software but it will take a lot of time. Since such a small number of  people still use websites and forums like this and have moved on to Facebook, I question if it is worth the effort I will have to put into it so I haven't made a final decision.

Any comments or questions about this would be appreciated.

I'd rather you stick with whatever updates you need to maintain these two sites as I never intend to use Facebook...just my opinion.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I use a cell phone as little as possible even with a six inch scream, I find the itty keyboard too hard to use so just do not. If the new software is incompatible with a real computer, I just will stop.

BTW HTML can be used to determine exactly what equipment I am using, has for over a decade.

Edited by Padgett

The forum won't change, except for maybe needing a new facelift to match the new how-to guide part of ROJ. The new site will still work with a real computer. All the information will still be there. Mainly the menu system will change for the how to guides. Everything will just look more minimalistic and inline to comply with the new standards for a phones narrow screen. The word they use for the new standard is "responsive", which means it will fit on a wide computer screen or a phone or tablet. There will be lots of space that seems to be wasted on a computer screen but when viewed on a phone or a tablet the text and images will wrap so everything fits the screen correctly.

If I had my druthers I would leave everything as is but you either have to keep up with the times or be left behind.  Besides, I have nothing better to do this winter than screw up a good thing we currently have. It will all work out and I might learn something along the way 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What I meant was for at least a decade, HyperText Markup Langauge (HTML, the language of the Web) has had the capability to read the display information (resolution, size font) and adjust the screen appropriately. This means the page would adjust for a 5" cell phone touchscream vs a 32" monitor with keyboard and mouse.

A professional would design software to accommodate the user, a hacker wouldn't bother.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Since such a small number of  people still use websites and forums like this and have moved on to Facebook, I question if it is worth the effort I will have to put into it so I haven't made a final decision.

Please do not move to Facebook. 

• Agree 2

Not sure what the forced "upgrade" on facebook was supposed to do but now the left third of my monitor is essentially whitespace. Very irritating.

4 hours ago, DPS.01 said:

Please do not move to Facebook. 

No worries there. I dabble in Facebook a little to answer a few questions for Reatta owners but I don't like the Facebook format. I prefer forums.

2 minutes ago, Padgett said:

Not sure what the forced "upgrade" on facebook was supposed to do but now the left third of my monitor is essentially whitespace. Very irritating.

Same here. I hate the new Facebook format. I hate the whitespace on the left and I hate scrolling through all the nonsense to get to the posts. In my opinion they screwed it up worse than what it already was.

I use invision community for this forum. I like it but don't like paying a subscription to use it. Joomla is what I use for the how-to guides. I'm not familiar with VerticalScope but I'll check it out.

Sorry, should have looked. I do my own web programming with Notepad, have had FrontPage and used Microsoft Word but both add too much extra stuff for me. Can find everything you ever wanted to know about HTML 5 (screen detection) online.

Back in the day I did much more complex low level coding. Executable Ascii was for a Christmas Card before e-mail supported anything other than Ascii and EBCDIC.

Back in the late '60's and early '70's, I used to know enough Fortran and Cobol to be downright dangerous!

• Like 1

Fortran V was nice - Added the If-Then-Else and Case statements. Was working mainly in Assembly Language (MASM for 8088) and Machine Code (AMD 2901 bit-slice). Motorola 6800 for GM cars was easy, wrote a PROM disassembler on a VAX.

I've never done in low level programming but I've dabbled in several different computer programming languages over the years, starting with basic on a Commodore VIC-20 in the '80s. I took several college classes in C++ but didn't do much programming in C++ after I discovered building websites. I know HTML and CSS really well. I can read and modify PHP code but not write it from scratch. Database programming in PHP is hard for me.

Before I retired, I routinely programmed PLCs using Allen Bradley ladder logic programming to make machines do what I wanted. As a machinist it was easier for me to make changes to the PLC programming than it was to try to explain to an electrician what I wanted done. 

Designed test equipment for large afterburning gas turbine engines using  EPITAK controllers, GM began using MODCOMPs. Was blessed to spend fifty years on the bleeding edge of technology while having cryptology as a hobby. However do not get along with today's risk based management so good thing am retired.

Rarely came up to High Level Languages except to reprogram my cars and for modelling, Preferred Fortran V to C++ for real time.