THE REATTA LOUNGE

Ronnie

With the nice, inspiring preceding stories, I am not sure if I should post this here, it is sort of whiney, but here goes.

Today, I decided to mow the grass at the cottage but that didn't go according to plan. I don't have a big area to mow, but I do have an old John Deere riding mower, 42" deck I believe. As I was completing the first lap around the yard, there was a sort of pop/knock sound and the engine quit. It spins over just fine, but it gives the impression there is no compression. I decided to let the grass grow some more and I pushed the mower back into the garage figuring I will look at it next weekend. I then packed up to come home. After my discovery and repair of the loose parts inside the harmonic balancer, I was looking forward to driving the Reatta back home. It started as per normal, backed up five feet and it also quit, like the ignition was turned off. I tried to restart, and it did eventually, but runs very rough, plus the check engine light is on. I went ahead and entered diagnostics but there are no ECM codes. What it did say is: No E Data? I don't know what that means exactly, but time was getting on, so I transferred the stuff going home to my much maligned 25 year old Ford Ranger. It's used as a woods truck in the summer and a winter driver during the season at home. It has always been a problem child, hence the reason it only has 96k miles on it, but it has never left me stranded. It did bring me home just fine but I kept thinking about the old expression that bad things and threes and I of course wondered what it might be? I just realized I left a cardboard box behind that contained some dry goods and items from the kitchen which I can do without but it also contains my prescription eye drops, DOH!! That is something I will have to go back for. Now I wonder if that was the third thing???

3 hours ago, 2seater said:

No E Data? I don't know what that means exactly,

I don't remember ever seeing that before..

• Agree 1

I've not seen that either, but might that mean that the ECM is not "online"? Just guessing.

• Agree 1

Daves89 and Ronnie, I can relate. 

My mother passed away when I was 12. I was the middle child of 7. My father also worked away in the heavy construction industry, so he couldn't take care of a brood of children. My two older siblings were young marrieds with infant children of their own, but they stepped up and took me in, as well as some of my brothers and a sister. I lived briefly with my older brother, but as a soon to be teenager, it was decided that I would move in with my maternal grandparents. They were a caring and nurturing couple that saw me through HS graduation. I soon moved out on my own. Then, they later took in two of my younger brothers. I learned a lot from my grandfather about work ethic, etc., but they still gave me a lot of rein. My father remarried and was a distance away. I turned out OK and consider myself to be lucky that my grandparents opened their hearts. 

• Like 3

Needed to go shopping today and the rain was pretty heavy and steady. Had a choice of vehicles to take, but all were recently washed and cleaned, and the daily driver (Avalanche) was also just waxed a few days ago. So, opted to take the Reatta. I probably said this before, but it is the easiest of the vehicles I own to wash and chamois. A little selfish on my part, I know,  but I hadn't exercised her for a while either, so the choice was a "no brainer."

• Like 3

I agree Ron. Of all the cars I have ever owned the Reatta is the easiest to clean. The only thing that slows me down is the after market rear spoiler I installed.

• Like 1

I agree. The Reatta is easy to wash. Tires and wheels are the hardest part for me. I use my battery powered leaf blower to remove most of the water before using the chamois to speed up drying it. 

• Like 2

Got caught in a rain down pour 2 weeks ago coming home from a cruise-in.  A few days later I detailed the exterior of my Reatta including the white wheels and the inside edges of the hood and trunk.  Took me less than an hour...easy peesy.  The Eldo takes so much longer. 

• Like 2

Today (9/9 at 10am EDT) the Generac tech performs an annual maintenance/tune up on my whole house generator.  Ever since he installed a new voltage regulator last October, it has been running fine.  We had a couple of black outs over the summer, and it kicked on and off with no problems.  The generator is now 19 years old, so fingers crossed he won't encounter any issues.  

• Like 1

Is it a propane or natural gas generator, Ship?

My Uncle's mom had one installed for her husband. He had alzheimers and she took care of him at home for many years. This was in South Mississippi. A good wind blows down there and the lights will be out for hours.

With two 3500W generators I can keep two refrigerators, bedroom AC, and computer/phone/TV stuff running after the UPS (many) give out.

On 9/9/2022 at 2:48 PM, BlakesReatta said:

Is it a propane or natural gas generator, Ship?

It is a 15KW whole house generator that runs on LP.  I don't have NG coming into my house, so I went with two 100 gal tanks.

UPDATE: The tech did his annual maintenance, and all is running fine.  Hope not have to see him until next Sept/Oct. 

Edited by ship
  • Like 2

Just for the sake of conversation, my wife and I are in Orange Beach, Alabama visiting friends and tomorrow leave for Charleston SC for a week. Glad the hurricane turned but I'm sure we are going to see a lot of rain.

Took my wife's Chrysler Pacifica so she could lay down in the back while a drive 10 hours plus.

I think the Reatta is more comfortable for the driver (me).

• Like 2

Dave, you are in the heart of Dixie. Can anyone down there understand a word you are saying? 🙂 

You are probably going to melt in Charleston. When I was there it was the hottest place I have ever been.  I hope you have a great time.  Go to Patriot's Point, just across the big bridge, and take a tour of the WWII aircraft carrier and the old submarine if you have the time, and if you like that kind of stuff. I enjoyed it but man it was hot.

Since you are relatively close, about 100 miles down I-95, you should drive on down to Savannah, GA. I like it better than Charleston. It's a beautiful place with lots of history. If you like old antebellum homes you will love Savannah.  It's full of beautiful parks with big shade trees almost every other block downtown. The park with the big fountain is amazing. The parks and River Street (you've got to go there) are within walking distance from the parking lot at the visitor center. We just park our car and head out.

You must have grown way to use to sitting in your Reatta. I have to say my Equinox is much more comfortable than my Reatta for traveling long distances.

• Like 1

The Reatta seat is way more comfortable than the Pacifica seat.

This trip is Charleston, but you are right about Savannah it is beautiful and the houses and the trees are really beautiful. We ate lunch downtown took a carriage ride, saw the fountain and later in the week my wife even gave me a morning to go junking. There was a Reatta in a yard and I got some parts off it.

A great trip.

• Like 4

I speak mid-atlantic bland. Was once asked in London if I was a BBC announcer. The hardest for me is Bostonian more from speed. And of course I have not seen many people's lips for years. (Use hearing aids).)

For me all of my cars are about the same for comfort as long as I can recline far enough to take the weight of my back on my shoulders. Straight up am good for maybe a mile.

Crossfire coupe needed a sawzall and cutting disk to get back far enough.

• Like 1

When I speak I sound like I just walked out of the rural Appalachia mountains of TN where city slickers expect us to be toothless and barefooted.  Luckily I am neither. If you have heard the people on the Beverly Hillbillies talk you know pretty much how I sound. I'm proud of my deep southern accent but sometimes it can be awkward when talking with people from up north.

The Reatta seat itself is plenty comfortable. I just wish I could move it back about 2 more inches to get my legs in the right position. I have to lean my legs out to the side and my right leg hits the hard edge of the console and it doesn't feel good. I can tilt the seat back to compensate but then I feel like I'm driving straight armed all the time. I have added a cushion to the console that helps some but it would be better if I could move the seat back a little more. If the Reatta had a telescoping steering wheel like my Equinox so I didn't have to drive straight armed with the seat tilted back I think I would be happy with that Reatta seating position. 

Here is a photo of the cushion I added to the console. It was done quickly to see how it would work with the intention of making another one that looks better. That was several years ago and I still haven't got around to doing it. Probably never will. 🙂 

SAM_4476.JPG

SAM_4477.JPG

• Like 1

I larnt straight arms and close enough leg for the clutch. Seat tilted back 30-40 degrees. Of course am perfect size for F-1. 5'10", 32 arm, 29 leg.

• Like 1

From my experience, lumbar support is the biggest thing for comfort in long trips. The lower quality economy cars will kill your back on long trips. The Reatta is extremely comfy, especially the 16 way seats. The furthest I've driven is 5 hours to and from Chicagoland. It's a more comfy seat to me than my leather Honda Accord seats. An 88 Reatta I had last year, I drove to and from my parent's in Mississippi which is eight hours from here. I was comfortable in that car as well and it had the standard seats. 

Ronnie, I know how you feel about "talking to Northerners." The St Louis and Chicago/Northern Illinois people think that I am from Kentucky when I am in fact from much further south (South Mississippi). My fellow Southern Illinoisans are completely kind about my accent and don't treat me any differently because of it. Chicagoland people are graceful except for a few Karen's who are a nuisance to anyone regardless of origin. My experience has been the same in other Northern metros. Some people actually really enjoy hearing it and think it is charming.

The funny thing is, when I go back to my hometown, people ask "where are you from?" They asked me that when I was a teenager. I said, "here." They thought I was from Atlanta or New Orleans because I didn't use the Pine Belt twang of South Mississippi. An accent is about the same as any other human characteristic. It does not mean we are stupid or backwards because of a little drawl. God bless the fools who think it does equate to that. 

Edited by BlakesReatta
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

As mentioned my back support is a seat tilted back 30-40 degrees. Less and my back hurts. My speech is mostly mid-atlantic bland having grown up in Maryland. In London was once asked if a BBC announcer.

• Like 2