THE REATTA LOUNGE

Ronnie

On 1/28/2022 at 10:03 AM, Ronnie said:

Those of you who visit this site frequently might notice there is a new donation box on the right side of the page. I really didn't want to have a prominent donation box in the forums but, like everything else since the pandemic started, the fees to keep ROJ online have increased substantially. There is a yearly hosting fee, a fee to keep the domain name (reattaowner.com) and a yearly fee to keep the forum software working properly and updated. Payment of all these fees is needed to keep ROJ online.  ...

I want to thank those of you who have made donations to ROJ so far.  I really appreciate you helping with the costs of keeping this website going.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went for my first ride in a Tesla today. Boy are those things quick. It really put me in my seat. $60,000 gets me a nice used one...

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

Boy are those things quick. It really put me in my seat.

Who would have thought there would come a day in our lifetime that we would be saying that about a glorified golf cart. 🙂 Did you like the dash in it? I've never ridden in one but I have sat in one at a car show. The dash was stark with basically nothing on it except a large LCD screen in the center of the dash that displayed everything you would ever want to know and it controlled everything. I didn't really care for that.

• Like 1

I don't either. It looks like a computer monitor looking for a keypad. The dash also is just straight across with a bit of wood tone vinyl. But the seats were comfortable and boy that thing does fly. He put it in the "sport" setting [also has a "chill" setting] and like I said it really put me in my seat. 

• Agree 1

"A fool and their money are soon parted." Bought one new car in my life that approached $30k and the GC has a warranty that expires in 2095 (not a typo).

• 3 weeks later...

I've told you guys that Tennessee isn't prepared for snow. 

tennessee snow plow-1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It hit 70* today with loads of sunshine in Eastern Massachusetts.  Due to the honey-do list, I never even got to peek into the Reatta igloo!  Suppose to rain all day tomorrow.

On 2/23/2022 at 2:12 PM, Ronnie said:

Who would have thought there would come a day in our lifetime that we would be saying that about a glorified golf cart. 🙂 Did you like the dash in it? I've never ridden in one but I have sat in one at a car show. The dash was stark with basically nothing on it except a large LCD screen in the center of the dash that displayed everything you would ever want to know and it controlled everything. I didn't really care for that.

I might not go as far as to call them "glorified golf carts" but I'm not a fan of them, honestly.  Charging people between $10k and $25k sometimes just for new batteries and designing them so as to make it impossible for a common responsible mechanic to replace a wear part like that is not a cool thing to do.

10 minutes ago, CameraGuyLou said:

I might not go as far as to call them "glorified golf carts" but I'm not a fan of them, honestly.  Charging people between $10k and $25k sometimes just for new batteries and designing them so as to make it impossible for a common responsible mechanic to replace a wear part like that is not a cool thing to do.

I was just joking about the glorified golf cart. My neighbor offered me her Prius when she was selling it. I really wanted to buy it but she was honest and told me the dealership told her it would soon need batteries. I knew I couldn't replace the batteries myself so I turned it down. They will have to resolve the battery and charging issues on EVs before I would consider one as my primary form of transportation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I was just joking about the glorified golf cart. 

Ah!  Went over my head, lol.  Sorry.

On 3/22/2022 at 10:21 AM, Ronnie said:

I was just joking about the glorified golf cart. My neighbor offered me her Prius when she was selling it. I really wanted to buy it but she was honest and told me the dealership told her it would soon need batteries. I knew I couldn't replace the batteries myself so I turned it down. They will have to resolve the battery and charging issues on EVs before I would consider one as my primary form of transportation.

My buddy Bob swapped out a Prius battery. He bought the replacement from Advance. What he did to be sure that the battery was bad was he had it verified at a Toyota dealership, swapped out the battery, took it back in and had the codes cleared and was all set. 

35 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

My buddy Bob swapped out a Prius battery. He bought the replacement from Advance. What he did to be sure that the battery was bad was he had it verified at a Toyota dealership, swapped out the battery, took it back in and had the codes cleared and was all set. 

My neighbor said she got a quote on the battery for her Prius of $1800. She said the Toyota dealerships didn't give her a quote on labor because they had never swapped one out before. Do you know what your buddy Bob had to pay?

This was about 7-8 years ago already on a 2004. I thought that the Advance battery was about $650.00 or so at the time. The first one he got was defective so he had to do it again. I think he was down to about 1 two hour swap time. I watched him and it really was pretty straight forward. It's located under the rear storage so all the interior rear trim has to come out.  

• Like 1

EVs are on the way. What seems amazing is the amount of horsepower and torque provided by some of the soon to be mainstream vehicles. Zero to 60 times out gun some pretty potent gas V-8s. Still, as Ronnie points out, issues remain if considering to be a primary mode of transportation, especially with range considerations. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Problem is range. My Jeep could go about 600 miles on $90 for gas. That is being fixed.

• Like 1

How about something really from out in left field? I have a complete set of dust collec, er, Hummel plates, not real ones, but the set of a dozen sold by the Danbury mint two or three decades ago. They are still in the packaging, a couple never even opened. As near as I can tell from eBay, the set is worth ~$50 on average. No comment as to why I have them, but I only mention them in case there is any interest. They are free to anyone aside from shipping. They could become targets but they leave sharp fragments in the woods🙄