My '89 Reatta is still running rough!

Philbo
24 minutes ago, Padgett said:

re Service manual: Final Edition is fat, Preliminary Edition is slender and just has the changes from the previous year.

Never noticed a change to the owner's manual.

Ah before I bought '90 FSM I had something called a "new product manual" or something like that, which described itself as just the changes from previous model. Maybe they changed the terminology with the '90 model?

Edited by Philbo
Padgett

Preliminary Edition or New Product manual are the same thing. Just those things that changed from the previous year's "final" and are intended to be used together.

fun car guy
On 3/31/2021 at 9:02 AM, ship said:

I don't recall the 90 and 91 Riviera/Reatta FSMs' having any final edition.  I thought only the 88 had a final, and possibly the 89(?).

The manual I just got is clearly marked "final edition".  It's grey with drawings of the Reatta and the Rivera in white, quite thick so I intend to study it and become familiar with it.

• Like 2
fun car guy
On 3/30/2021 at 1:34 PM, fun car guy said:

Once again, thanks Ronnie.  I guess I should follow your advice, take the alternator out and have it tested.  Not the first time I've had to pay for my mistakes. Better safe than sorry!

Can't thank you enough, Ronnie.  When I took the old one to Advance they tested it and found it was shorted out.  If you hadn't warned me, I could have done a lot more damage.  As it is now, I'm going to mend the positive connection with one I ordered from Jim.  Then install the new alternator and hook up the new battery.  With any luck, everything will come back on and I can proceed with finding the cause of rough running but at the least, I may have lost all previous diagnosis info.

Ronnie

I'm more than happy to help. It sounds like you are on the right path. I hope the alternator is the only thing that was damaged.

fun car guy

Yes, I hope so too!  This experience has caused me lost sleep however, if the short didn't stop with the alternator, the main fuses should have blown, don't you think?

Ronnie

Yes, but the computers ECM, BCM and the electronics for the touch screen are pretty sensitive. I would think the fuses should blow before any damage was done but who knows? I've never known of anyone hooking up a battery backwards on a Reatta before. Anytime you see smoke and sparks flying anything could happen to sensitive electronic parts. You will just have to install the new alternator, repair the cables and go from there.

• Like 1
Padgett

Used to reverse all the diodes and run a 10DN in Jaguars.

fun car guy
On 4/3/2021 at 10:51 PM, Ronnie said:

Yes, but the computers ECM, BCM and the electronics for the touch screen are pretty sensitive. I would think the fuses should blow before any damage was done but who knows? I've never known of anyone hooking up a battery backwards on a Reatta before. Anytime you see smoke and sparks flying anything could happen to sensitive electronic parts. You will just have to install the new alternator, repair the cables and go from there.

Actually there were no sparks, just a sizzling sound and a few whisps of smoke from the alternator, nothing more and quickly disconnected the battery.  Also, have checked all the circuit breakers and they're all good, now on to all the accessory fuses and getting a good look at the fusable links. Trying to stop beating myself up and think of this in a hopeful light. 

• Agree 1
Ronnie
On 3/22/2021 at 4:48 PM, fun car guy said:

Having no luck at all!  Bought a brand new battery, tried to hook it up and got fireworks, hissing and whisps of smoke from the alternator, hope I haven't fried things! 

Sometimes my memory is too good and it turns me into a Debbie-Downer. ?  When I remembered you writing about getting fireworks from the alternator when you hooked up the battery I was seeing visions of a shower of sparks.

Don't beat yourself up. I've done a lot worse than that and I've been a mechanic all my life. Some of it cost me a lot more money to. We all make mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
fun car guy

Thanks Ronnie, you're very kind.  Unlike yourself, I don't have nearly as much experience a mechanic but I still should have known what I was doing.  I have quite a bit to do around the house tomorrow but will check all the other fuses on Wednesday, weather permitting.  Once the replacement positive terminal arrives from Jim I'll install it and, cringing with crossed fingers, connect the battery and let you know what happens (or doesn't happen.)  Regardless of the outcome, I'm committed to seeing this through.  

Again, many thanks, you've made be feel  little better.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Philbo

Yeah I've done similar things too. Really the only bad mistake is the one that you don't learn from. I once made a dumb mistake during a head gasket job that caused me to have to almost start from the beginning. I admire your determination.  You'll get it and come out the other end a better mechanic.

• Like 1