What did you do with your Reatta today.

DAVES89

I had been having trouble with my passenger window not rolling up well so I thought I would check out the rollers and maybe replace the window motor. So last night Kendall and I started in. After removing the door panel we could see that the window mechanism uses three rollers. The bottom two rollers were loose and rolled well but the top one was bound up and would only slide in the track. This is an easier repair as the top track is held in by three screws and comes out easily. Then pry the roller off the shaft, drill out the center of the roller with a 3/8" drill bit, lube up the hole with grease and snap it back over the roller shaft. Works much better. We also did the motor as Kendall said 31 year old original motor? Do that as well.

One other thing. While inside the door take a look at the rubber boot on the door lock actuator. You will see that there will be a slice in it because the door lock shaft has a sharp edge to it cutting the boot and making the door lock work sluggish. Simple fix is to force the actuator arm off that shaft [don't have to remove the actuator], install a small hose over the door lock shaft and then slide the actuator arm back over the newly installed hose on the door lock shaft.

Door lock works like new and took less then 5 minutes to do.  

• Like 5

I had noticed for some time that the battery in the 'vert was weak so Tuesday I decided to see what was out at Gibson's my local you pick yard. As luck would have it I scored a 4 month old Duralast Platinum battery 800 cca. Paid $21.00 with tax and exchange. 

Well this morning I thought that I would see if lightning could strike twice, and it did. Picked up a "Northern" dual mount battery [850cca] that was 6 months old also for $21.00 with tax and exchange. 

Looks like I am ready for winter...

• Like 2

Any more just buy an AGM when on sale at Sams and lasts 5-10 years. Since all of my cars are served by just two battery sizes: H6/48 and 34/78DT I keep one on hand for a backup in my equipment closet. Florida power has never been reliable. No real bad weather but has been out only twice this year and not long enough to crank up the big generator.

17 hours ago, Padgett said:

Any more just buy an AGM when on sale at Sams and lasts 5-10 years. Since all of my cars are served by just two battery sizes: H6/48 and 34/78DT I keep one on hand for a backup in my equipment closet. Florida power has never been reliable. No real bad weather but has been out only twice this year and not long enough to crank up the big generator.

Padgett, I bought 2 like new batteries for two of my Reattas for less then $50 dollars. Buying two new ones from Autozone or Advanced or Sams would have been $450.00 or more.

I was just sharing my good fortune...

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

Padgett, I bought 2 like new batteries for two of my Reattas for less then $50 dollars. Buying two new ones from Autozone or Advanced or Sams would have been $380.00 or more.

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

Thank you for sharing. I wish I had a Gibson's near me.

3 hours ago, Padgett said:

Thank you. On sale I pay $100 for a new AGM at Sam's, just thought I'd share that.

AGM for $100.00? Pease let me know when that happens again. I am not a member, but wouls ign up for a deal like that.

There is usually one after Thanksgiving. Reatta takes a 34/78DT. Is $140 at moment so has gone up about $20 since last one I purchased.

Well check engine light came on intermittently on my way home from work today :classic_sad:

Throwing an e 022 (throttle position sensor) and e 039 (TCC circuit)

Guess I will be doing some diagnosing over the next few days.   She was still driving fine.

2 hours ago, Philbo said:

Well check engine light came on intermittently on my way home from work today :classic_sad:

Throwing an e 022 (throttle position sensor) and e 039 (TCC circuit)

Guess I will be doing some diagnosing over the next few days.   She was still driving fine.

It's possible the two are related. If the TPS is below a certain threshold the TCC drops out. Pretty easy to drive while in diagnostics and watch both the TCC and TPS value. I didn't believe it could happen until just recently that a simple thing, like the TPS could cause hard starting, but ever since I replaced it a couple weeks ago on my sons red 89, the car has started normally and a nagging "control problem detected" has disappeared.

• Thanks 1

It could be that the ECM drops out the TCC and throws an error when it loses a signal from the TPS as a safety in case you are coming to a stop. You don't want the TCC locked when the car is stopped. I had that happen in my Fiero. It is like stopping a manual shift car without pushing in the clutch.

11 hours ago, Philbo said:

@2seater Out of curiosity, what brand TPS did you purchase?  Rock Auto has the AC Delco GM original equipment one in stock still. 

I was in a bind because at the time the car was at my cottage and the closest source for a replacement TPS was my donor 89🤢. I have no idea of the brand, mileage or much else. If you can get a Delco, it would be my first choice. Parts today are no doubt different than over thirty years ago, but AC Delco still seems a good brand.

• Like 1

Glad I found this forum topic.  Guess I know what I'll be reading through tonight, heh.

Well, today I posted the latest adventure in Getting (not so) Racin Rita back to her Racin roots on YouTube.  (

If yer interested)

Also got a hinge for the hood, so she will finally have a working hood and struts again soon! (hopefully).  Wish me luck.

18 minutes ago, CameraGuyLou said:

Glad I found this forum topic.  Guess I know what I'll be reading through tonight, heh.

Well, today I posted the latest adventure in Getting (not so) Racin Rita back to her Racin roots on YouTube.

I'm glad you are enjoying the forum. Thanks for posting the video. I watched it up to the point the MAF was cleaned. I enjoyed it. I will watch more later.

• Thanks 1

Glad you posted the video, which I find encouraging that there is still the will to get "vintage" stuff operating. A couple comments if I may. The sensor in the air filter housing should be the MAT sensor which is the incoming air temperature into the engine. It is somewhat related to the MAF sensor in that it gives the ECM information on the incoming air temperature while the heated wire and temperature thermistor in the MAF try to maintain a constant temperature on the heated wire in the MAF. Between the two items, the ECM can calculate the approximate mass of the air going in. Perhaps it happened off camera, but I did not notice any time the base idle voltage was measured or adjusted on the new TPS? If not, it can be checked with the key on and engine off in diagnostics, ED01 in ECM Data. Should be .4volts, +/- .2v. There is indeed a reason the air intake tube is labeled the way it is. The interior of the tube on the end marked for the throttle has a smooth section rather than corrugations all the way to the end. This aids laminar flow into the MAF, which is important for smooth operation. One other unrelated thing; I think the upper radiator hose is the wrong one or it is installed backwards. 

This is meant as a clarification, not a criticism because I would like to see more of the above😎

• Like 1

Just a note but if the TCC drops out because of something else (e.g. goes to open loop) it won't set a code. Happened to me many times on a trip up north.

On 9/22/2021 at 12:56 PM, Ronnie said:

I'm glad you are enjoying the forum. Thanks for posting the video. I watched it up to the point the MAF was cleaned. I enjoyed it. I will watch more later.

Thank you!

We're working hard on these videos, lord willing we'll get our videos monetized one day and can do some of the crazier ideas on film.

Didn't do it today, but there was a 2 week period where I was delivering for DoorDash, just to try it out.  I went delivering a couple times in my reatta.  I wonder hoe many people can say they've done doordash in a reatta lol.  Sad thing is, I never got any comments on my car. Thought that was really weird seeing as it is pretty unique