What did you do with your Reatta today.

DAVES89

Reatta got a new car cover this past weekend.  No more water leaking in for me lol.  I still need to track down where it's getting in. I ended up getting the one that @Padgett (I think it was you) recommended. I like it. Great quality for the price.

Well... Sharpen your pitchforks and light your torches! Along with a much (50k over) needed tune up and a new LandRover brake accumulator I readied my Reatta for a wrap this last week. I got rid of the badge on the hood and the side molding is gone. I also had the windows tinted. Interior work is on the docket next

Edit: I have no Idea why the pic is loading upside down...

BrocksReatta.jpg

• Like 1

You won't get much flack for mods you make to your car. Members of this forum do it all the time. I fixed your photo. It looks like the side molding is still on and has just been  painted.

What was the part number of the Landrover accumulator you used. That might help someone else who needs one in the future.

• Agree 1

Yeah, no flack from me either. My windows were tinted back in the 90's and really needs to be replaced. Stock wheels were ditched about that time too, but most of my modifications have been under the hood. I have never looked, but aren't there holes in the metal where some of the side molding mounts? It looks nice and clean but if I did that the car would look like a golf ball in a short time 😎

Thank you Ronnie and 2seater. I am proud of my work but I didnt know if folks around here had a purity thing going on so I tried to head that off with humor... seems I missed a bit... my bad.

Side molding is off the door, I promise. The body line is part of the door panel. There were little studs welded to the door that the molding clips on to. Had to grind, fill, prime, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand.... then paint. there were holes in the fender and at the leading and trailing edge of the doors. Used panelbond to adhere a plug to the back and filled them followed by the same regiment of sanding and priming then, of course, painting. oh, and 2seater.... this wasnt my first foray into body work but I wouldnt say that I am really any good at it. It took waaaay longer than it should to remove the golfball look after the grinding!

Brake accumulator is from a company called WABCO. P/N STC2784. Originally fitted to a P38 Range Rover... I dont even know what that is or what year, but I got it on amazon for, i think, $270. I have never had brakes this good. only slight mod required is to shim up the strut tower brace with three or so washers.

accumulator.jpg

53 minutes ago, Brock said:

Brake accumulator is from a company called WABCO. P/N STC2784. Originally fitted to a P38 Range Rover... I dont even know what that is or what year, but I got it on amazon for, i think, $270. I have never had brakes this good. only slight mod required is to shim up the strut tower brace with three or so washers.

Thanks!

I wanted to test a Wabco accumulator because I believe their gas charge is a little bit higher than the Hydac I have. It is interesting that everywhere I look now it brings up Land Rover along with the attendant price increase for that accumulator. That was not the case less than a year ago as well as about $100 price increase.

I didn't mean the removal would look like a golf ball, it is the attendant door dings. It certainly does clean up the lines.

Yesterday I rotated the tires and changed the oil on the Black. Checked and topped off all fluids. After I got done checked the tire pressure. Each tire was at about 30 pounds. Increased to 35. 

54 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

.....checked the tire pressure. Each tire was at about 30 pounds. Increased to 35. 

Dave, With these cars having a sport suspension, I keep the tire pressure at 30# on my '91.  Its the recommended max tire pressure for the Goodyear Eagle GT's which were the OE speck tires that these cars came with from the factory (215R60/16).  It can be a rough enough ride.  Do you find your ride pretty rough having tire pressure at 35#? 

Because I drive my cars a lot of miles I prefer a bit higher pressure to help the gas mileage a bit. Also I find that with the temperature swings we get here a little extra pressure gives me a bit of cushion with air loss. Also these Buicks have a good ride so I never factored riding comfort with air pressure.

• Thanks 1

I rotate my tires about every 5000 miles. When I rotate them I inspect for nails or other objects in the tires while I have the wheels off. I also use a tread depth gauge to keep track of how the tires are wearing. I have found that 35 in the front and 32 in the rear on my Reatta helps keep the tires wearing even all the way across the tread. Rotating the tires often helps that too. I've not noticed much difference in the ride. Keeping more pressure in the front tires makes the center of the tire stand up more and helps take some of the load off the outside edges and keeps it from rolling over in the curve. I think that helps slow the wear on the outside edge of the tire if you are driving around curvy roads a lot where you are braking and accelerating a lot while going around curves like I often do here on the back roads of Tennessee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have always run more pressure in the front than the rear on all my fwd cars and sometimes the pickup trucks if driven empty the majority of the time. It only makes sense to me since the weight distribution is so uneven, especially the Reatta which is about 65%F 35%R

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I will experiment with higher than 30# pressure when my '91 comes out of hibernation April '22.  Might also try higher #'s in front than rear.  Thanks for everyones tire experiences.

Well I feel kind of stupid. I was out at Gibson's weeks ago and thought I would want to do the Delco ignition module/coil pack upgrade so I got what I needed and when I got home I set them on the side of the workbench and promptly forgot about them. For the last week I was getting a "bucking" under hard acceleration and thought MAF sensor. Swapped it in took it for a drive and no better and left it in. Had an extra Magnavox ignition module/coil pack swapped that in, car ran worse. So now I figure I'm on the right track, same symptoms only runs worse, I need an Delco ignition/coil pack, but I don't have the conversion plate. Never looked at the work bench just jumped in the car [I swapped back in the original Magnavox ignition and ran over to Gibson's and get a conversion plate and another Delco Ignition Module/Coil Pack. Get home set it on the work bench and now what do I see? What I needed just waiting for me to install the stuff I just got at Gibsons.

So now I have more conversion plates then I have Reattas...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

Get home set it on the work bench and now what do I see? What I needed just waiting for me to install the stuff I just got at Gibsons.

So now I have more conversion plates then I have Reattas...

I'm a few years older than you and when stuff like this happens to me my wife calls this "brain freeze".

It wasn't the worse for me to be out there. I also scored a like brand new Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt. Charged me $5.00 retail is $30.00...

• Like 4

Mine finally went to bed for the winter, in the top bunk. Topped it off, Stabil in the fuel, leather conditioner on seats and dust cover installed. Cool blustery 40* + wind in the 20mph plus range. The plus side was the wind was from the south so temperatures were higher than yesterday and it helped push me to storage.

D1017BDF-26EE-4ED9-8F55-8634FF738EC4.thumb.jpeg.6dfe4dc924e22fa7aa77867698649885.jpeg

• Like 2

I've been to 2seaters place and he does have a great set up. I walked away impressed and thinking maybe I should remodel my free standing garage.

• Like 1

On another note I took a long drive to Texas to join my wife on her vacation [she's retired I'm still working]. At any rate I checked Row 52 a salvage yard listing source for Reattas and Rivs of our generation. There was a yard in Mo. that just got in a 1989 Riv with ABS. I left everything related to the Teves there but did score the "Bling," a CRT with a rebuilt sticker and the Instrument Cluster. Also left the headlight switch as it has the extra slider and I have plenty.

Going to install them tomorrow as the Red has been down here enjoying the summer.

They also had a 1990 Riv and the Instrument Cluster was in it but I passed as it didn't have a rebuild sticker on it and they are known for being bad.

• Like 1