Ronnie's New Toy - OFF TOPIC (Mustang GT)

Ronnie

3 hours ago, ship said:

I put "Buick" mud flaps on my Reatta when I originally bought it.

WP_20130504_008.jpg

I like your license plate. I still have a TN plate that says "Reatta" that I had on mine for a while. Had to pay $60 a year extra ($60+24=$84 total ) to keep it registered so I got an antique tag that costs $0 per year as soon as I could. I'll probably get an antique tag for the Mustang next year when I renew my registration for it.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Boy racer isn't for me anymore. I think turning a Mustang into a personal luxury coupe would be quite a stretch. So I guess I will go for door number 3, old guy elegance. I might just stick with the plain vanilla theme and keep the stock wheels since everything else is stock. I have no intention of changing it by making a lot of mods. Unlike the Reatta, there aren't many mods I want to do to it. It already has most of the mods I wanted to do to the Reatta to make it my own. I'll probably just drive it and enjoy it.

I change my mind a lot. You never know about me. There's a possibility that in the future I might go from mild to wild and end up with something looking like this. There's a lot you can do with a white car to get attention. 🙂 I'm not ready for the stripes yet but I do like those five spoke chrome wheels. I'll probably buy some of those if I stumble across a set at a good price.

mild to wild.JPG

• Like 1

MA is pretty rigid on what they call "vanity" plates.  It initially costs $50 to apply for the plates.  Then it can only have a max of 6 characters/numbers, characters first then numbers second and no mixing them up.  There is an annual fee of $100 every November to keep the registration of the vanity plates current.

"Special" plates; example, Red Sox, Celtics, Patriots, Cape Cod, Save the Whale, etc., and YOM plates follow the same rules but require re-registration cost of $100 every 2 years.  YOM plates have to be original with no re-paints. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I do like the sill plate stripe.  Maybe a thinner stripe(s) front to back.

mild to wild.JPG

• Like 1

It is a pretty blank canvas and all colors will work with the white base, so only imagination is the limit. How about plaid 🥴 A lot of creative ideas using vinyl wrap might be a consideration? I am not sure it would be any less expensive than paint, but it isn't permanent if you change your mind and the white base color will have little or no shadow in the paint from sun exposure.

• Like 1

After owning the GT for over month, I gave it it's first bath today. I waited until I got all the mechanical things done so I could do a really good wash job to get all the finger prints off from working on the car. It cleaned up really good but it really needs to be waxed to get it to shine like it should. 

I noticed a few tiny rock chips in the paint here and there as I washed it but nothing unexpected. I finally got some touchup paint that matches to take care of them. It was hard to find Crystal White touchup paint for some reason. After the touchups, the next step will be using a clay bar to make the paint as slick as a baby's bottom. Then a good coat of wax to bring out the shine. I don't think I will have to buff it like I did the Reatta to get it to shine. Clay bar and wax is what I did to the Mercedes and it turned out great.

First Bath (2).jpg

First Bath (9).jpg

• Like 6

• Ronnie changed the title to Ronnie's New Toy - OFF TOPIC (Mustang GT)
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess most Mustang people would know this, but I just discovered that Mustang GTs like mine have a fiberglass hood and trunk lid. It also has aluminum heads on the engine. Ford did their homework on trying to save weight on a Mustang.

I drove my Mustang about 170 miles round trip on Sunday. It's a really good driving car and it is comfortable once you get in it. Getting in and out is about the same as the Reatta. Both are low to the ground which makes it hard on an old man to get in and out of. Most of the roads we were driving on was smooth, but we encountered a section of road where the cracks in the asphalt had been filled in with tar. On that section I could feel the ripples from the tar through the stiff suspension, and it created more road noise than my Reatta would have. The Reatta was a smoother riding car.