Ronnie's New Toy - OFF TOPIC (Mustang GT)

Ronnie

Since I'm older than you, I get to say, "don't forget to purchase a Factory Service Manual for your Mustang".  You also might look into buying one of those OBDII plugin diagnostic readers for an easier read. 

1 hour ago, ship said:

Since I'm older than you, I get to say, "don't forget to purchase a Factory Service Manual for your Mustang".  You also might look into buying one of those OBDII plugin diagnostic readers for an easier read. 

Thanks! I got a Haynes repair manual yesterday. Autozone had them in stock for $15. My friend Gary has the full blown Factory Service Manual that I can use if I need it. I've got a really good OBD2 diagnostic scanner I keep in the garage, and I carry a cheaper OBD2 scanner in my toolbox that goes in the trunk. I doubt I will use the diagnostics shown in the video but I thought it was cool to be able to do so.

• Like 2

Ford did a great job in tuning the exhaust in the Mustang. Almost regardless of what year it may be. When I'm working in my lawn and a Mustang goes by, you can identify the sound as a Mustang, whether you can see it or not. Looking good Ronnie!

1 hour ago, Ron Walker said:

Ford did a great job in tuning the exhaust in the Mustang. Almost regardless of what year it may be. When I'm working in my lawn and a Mustang goes by, you can identify the sound as a Mustang, whether you can see it or not. Looking good Ronnie!

I agree on the sound. It has taken a little getting use to how loud it is compared to the Reatta. Now that I've been driving it some I don't notice it like I did at first.

I've been enjoying going over the Mustang to see what it needs. It gives me something to do. I think I've got a pretty nice car and won't have to do much to it. I've been checking all the normal things, belt, hoses, brakes and such. Everything looks good so far. I'm going to replace the brake pads and rotors on the front. They aren't completely worn out but I like the satisfaction of knowing the brakes are in tip-top condition so I will be able to enjoy driving this year without thinking about them. Rear pads and rotors are in excellent condition and need nothing done.

This week I've replaced the trunk support struts, and cleaned condensation out of the passenger headlight assembly and resealed it with clear silicon. I'm hoping that it won't fog up again. If it does I can buy a new pair of headlight assemblies cheaply from Amazon. I added a can of Freon to get it at the right level. The vent temp air is now about 35-40 degrees.  That should be good but won't know until hot weather.

Next week I will be installing a new high stop light assembly in the trunk and new fog light bulbs. They should arrive on Tuesday. New brake pads and rotors should be here on Thursday but they've not shipped yet. Maybe I will get to install them next weekend.

I though I was getting rid of pump assisted power brakes like the Reatta has when I got this Mustang. I expected it to have vacuum assisted power brakes. I discovered this week that it has a Hydroboost  brake system that uses the power steering pump pressure for power assist. Not exactly what I wanted but at least I can get a rebuild kit for about $30 or a complete remanufactured unit for about $200 from Amazon.

• Like 1

What kind of pads and rotors did you go with Ronnie? Were they slotted and ceramic? My wife's cousin had his brakes done out in California when they were RVing that way. He pulls a Jeep that needed a brake job. I think they used organic pads as his front wheels has loads of brake dust on it and he says he cleans them every two weeks.

Also the hydroboost on your Mustang means the Reatta still has a bit of a hold on memories!

Dave, I always buy Wagner ThermoQuite brake pads. I've used them for years on everything I own. Never had any problems with them at all. They are quiet, don't vibrate, hardly have any brake dust, and they are reasonably priced. You can get much cheaper pads but I like to stick with something I know is going to be a good product. The rotors are just standard rotors. Not drilled or slotted. I Usually use ACDelco rotors on GM cars but decided to give Wagner rotors a try. I've never used them before but I think they will be good. I've linked to what I bought below.  I doubt my Reatta memories will ever be gone. I spent a lot of time with that car.

Amazon.com: Wagner ThermoQuiet MX804 Semi-Metallic Disc Brake Pad Set : Automotive

Amazon.com: Wagner Brake BD125405E Disc Brake Rotor : Automotive 

I may have missed it, Ronnie, but are you saying that you sold your Reatta and now you're playing with a Mercedes and the Mustang?

Speaking for Ronnie, both the Reatta and Mercedes are gone...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ron Walker said:

I may have missed it, Ronnie, but are you saying that you sold your Reatta and now you're playing with a Mercedes and the Mustang?

Yeah. After 15 years it was time for a change. I thought the Mercedes might be a good replacement for the Reatta but I soon discovered it wasn't the car for me. Only time will tell if the Mustang is.

• Sad 1

I did kinda like that Mercedes, though.  I do understand what you mean re: time for a change.  I had my '92 Riviera for over eleven years when I decided it was time to sell and stick with the Reatta and the Eldorado.

• Like 1

Yeah. After 15 years it was time for a change. I thought the Mercedes might be a good replacement for the Reatta but I soon discovered it wasn't the car for me. Only time will tell if the Mustang is.

Sad to see your Reatta go, but I hope it is in the hands of someone who will care for it as you have over the years. 

I've had my Reatta since February of 1996. Had a little over 66K on it when purchased. 

Attached is photo taken on February 23, 2024 showing current odometer reading at 133,333 taken at 2:22 in the afternoon. Lots of work done to it in the meantime, but still running strong. 

IMG_20240223_142011713_HDR.thumb.jpg.c7ea7a62e5272c51b75eccc8eeaf8543.jpg

• Like 2

I'm still trying to decide on a set of chrome wheels for my Mustang.  I'm thinking I like the old school look the wheels give the Mustang in the first photo best. I like the decal down the side pretty good to.  The wheels on the Mustang in the second photo are a little more modern looking wheel. I think they might be Mustang Cobra wheels. I like them pretty well to. I'm not in a hurry to buy any. What do you guys think looks best on a white car?

mustang wheels-2.jpg

mustang wheels-1jpeg.jpeg

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

I like the top one best.

Thanks Dave! Me to. Just goes to show that great minds think alike. 🙂 

Looking at the stripe I think that would be a good addition too. It give's the car a bit more then just the all white.

• Agree 1

I don't think you would be wrong to go either way, although I tend to favor the somewhat simpler lines of the lower photo. They are sort of opposite designs; the Torq Thrust is tapered outside -> in and the Stang wheel is inside -> out. IMHO,The Torq Thrust is probably more of an eye focus where the Stang wheel in the background relative to the design of the car. Not in favor of the stripe, but again, it is my preference for simple and clean and it takes away from the side cove design rather than enhances it.

Edit: Dave and I have different points of view 😁

Edited by 2seater

1 hour ago, 2seater said:

the Torq Thrust is tapered outside -> in and the Stang wheel is inside -> out.

I didn't know they were called Torq Thrust. Thanks for letting me know. I like both wheel designs. I've still got my eye out for other designs I might like. I'm wanting to buy used so the wheels I end up with will be a balance between what I like the best and what I can get at a good price on. There are a lot of Mustang wheels for sale on Facebook Marketplace but most of them are either overpriced or in poor condition. I'm going to keep watching for a nice set near me that I like to come along at a good price.

I like the clean lines without the stripe, but I also like the look of the Mustang in the first photo. I'm going to wait to see what wheels I end up with before making a decision on the stripe decal. If I do get a stripe it will probably be dark blue instead of black to add a little color to the car. The Tennessee license plate I have on the back is about the same color. So if I get a tag from Amazon for the front, like in the photo below, the blue stripe will tie it all together with blue theme - front, back, and sides.

Text on the front plate will be "RONS  *  99GT".  For the county I might put MUSTANG there, or just put the county I live in. Not made up my mind on that yet.

BTW, if your state doesn't require you to have a state issued license plate on the front, you can get a tag like this for your state on Amazon and you can add the text you want on it. they are $14.99 + tax & shipping.  No free returns or shipping on special order items like this.

license plate tn.jpeg

• Like 1

Massachusetts requires both plates to be attached to the vehicle and legible at 20 feet.  No dirty or faded paint, no license plate surrounds.  When state or town ticket income is down, expect authorities to issue a ticket if your plates are not in compliance.  "Plate health" is one of the items checked during the annual state safety & emissions inspection (no emissions test just safety insp if car is 15 yrs or older).