Ronnie's New Toy - OFF TOPIC (Mustang GT)

Ronnie

3 minutes ago, ship said:

Massachusetts requires both plates to be attached to the vehicle and legible at 20 feet. 

I'm glad TN doesn't require a front plate. Gives lots of options. I usually don't put a front license plate on the front but I think this mustang looks better with one. Maybe it's because it breaks up all the white. Maybe I will change my mind later.

This is the plates the previous owner had on it. The text on the front plate is dark blue. That gave me the idea for a blue TN plate for the front,  and blue stripes if I decide to use stripes. The blue seems to go well with the white.

stacys photos-3.jpg

first photos -2b.jpg

• Agree 1

www.car-part calls them "funnel" wheels. I would take a look there Ronnie. You can buy them for $60 to a $150 a wheel. 17"x 8". Stock ones look pretty sharp.

46 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

www.car-part calls them "funnel" wheels. I would take a look there Ronnie. You can buy them for $60 to a $150 a wheel. 17"x 8". Stock ones look pretty sharp.

Thanks Dave. I'll check them out.

It's amazing how much these cars look alike when under a cover. Makes me feel like I have a Reatta in the garage again. 🙂 

SAM_4327.JPG

mustang under cover.jpg

• Like 1

I should have saw this coming.

I got a message from the Contact Us page from someone who said they were a member of this forum. They didn't give a name but I think I know who sent the message. I'm glad he contacted me with his concerns. Maybe I needed a reminder about how many off topic posts I've been making.

The message said I was ruining this forum with all the posts I've been making about my Mustang. Maybe he is right. I have been making a lot of posts about it. I'm just excited that I have something new to play with and wanted to share my excitement with someone. There are at least a dozen Mustang forums on the internet where I could post. I'll see if I can find one I like where my posts will fit in.

I apologize to ROJ forum members for making so many posts about a car that isn't a Reatta.

This thread is a separate, stand alone thread among many. Sure, it is off topic, but is clearly labeled as such. I am pretty sure most car guys and gals have multiple interests and some history in other area or brands. I appreciate the fact that this forum still exists. I think the AACA forums lean a bit more to the traditional or purist side of the hobby. I visit the Facebook forums too, but even though there are owners there, some professional, that have many many Reattas over time, there are also many that could use the coordinated help of ROJ. Just my opinion, but Facebook seems a bit like every day is Groundhog Day, the movie. Every day is new, but the same. 

Edited by 2seater
  • Thanks 1

As the administrator of ROJ, I think that you have earned the right to do go off topic and express yourself.   I have not seen any ROJ replies to your thread which state otherwise.   I personally find your thread and other's comments  to be of interest .

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Ronnie, your subject title says, "OFF TOPIC".  It couldn't be any more specific/clearer than that.  I personally have enjoyed reading about your car adventures beyond Reattas.  Most of us have additional other cars we are interested in.  We just need to remember to continue to label these writings as "OFF TOPIC".  I've written about my Eldorado once and again.  The dude's lucky that you keep this forum alive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I have no trouble with Ronnie's new car and I believe that anything that gets more participation is a good thing. If more people object why nor start a "General Discussion" column that doesn't involve Reattas?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

If more people object why nor start a "General Discussion" column that doesn't involve Reattas?

Basically that is why I started the Reatta Lounge thread. It's for off topic posts that all get thrown in one basket randomly.

The reason I didn't post my Mustang stuff in the Reatta Lounge is because there is no continuity to posts with other people posting random off topic stuff between my posts. I think a General Discussion topic would be the same way.

My posts in my Mustang topic can be read from beginning to end and it will all make sense what I'm talking about. I think if I made all the Mustang posts in a General Discussion forum with other off topic posts mixed in it would be very confusing. Probably the best thing is for me to stop posting Mustang stuff in a Reatta forum. I wouldn't allow anyone else to do that so it's only fair that I stop if some forum members are opposed to me doing it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I like reading about other cars.  Ronnie keep it going as it is.

Jim

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Me posting about the Mustang isn't going to be a problem for a while. I was working on the brakes yesterday, (installing new pads, calipers, rotors and hoses) and reinjured my knee that has given me trouble for years. It doesn't like me getting up and down on my knees repeatedly. It usually takes about two weeks to get over it and then I will be back to working on the Mustang again.

• Sad 4

I didn't see anyone chime in on this thread that admonishes the off topic discussion about your new toy. I know its off topic when I click on the thread. So, I'm all in for you to "keep it up" as others have said. 

4 hours ago, Ron Walker said:

I didn't see anyone chime in on this thread that admonishes the off topic discussion about your new toy. I know its off topic when I click on the thread. So, I'm all in for you to "keep it up" as others have said. 

Me and my wife had a discussion about this earlier this evening before I saw your post. She felt the same way as you. She said if nobody on the forum isn't complaining and I enjoy posting about my Mustang I should continue to do so.  I've decide I'm going to keep posting about my Mustang. I've checked with the forum moderator and he says its OK. 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/4/2024 at 9:26 AM, Ronnie said:

Me posting about the Mustang isn't going to be a problem for a while. I was working on the brakes yesterday, (installing new pads, calipers, rotors and hoses) and reinjured my knee that has given me trouble for years. It doesn't like me getting up and down on my knees repeatedly. It usually takes about two weeks to get over it and then I will be back to working on the Mustang again.

My knee was feeling good when I got up this morning so I was able to finish installing the new brake parts today. Pads, rotors, rebuilt calipers and brake hoses came up to about $270.00. That was money I hadn't anticipated spending when I bought the car. I expected to replace just the pads but things don't always go the way you think when you're dealing with a 25 year old car. Next up is installing new shock absorbers I already have on the rear. It's a real easy job on a Mustang. I'm hoping that will be all I need to do for a while but with an old car you never know.

• Like 2

I installed new Monroe shocks on the rear today. I think I'm finished with getting it in great condition. It drives like a dream. While I had it jacked up I discovered it has a positive traction differential with a 3.27 gear ratio. I'm in the process of running a tank of gas though it to check the MPG. Gary said to expect 15-18 depending on how I drive. He said that is what his wife usually got in his 2001 using it as a daily driver.

That sounds like a great car. I'm sure you and your buddy will have great times.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dave. I think I've got a really nice car although I probably I paid too much for it. It was one of those times when you pay the price or you walk away. She dropped the asking price by $500 when I first talked to her on the phone and wasn't willing to negotiate any more when I went to look at it. She said there were other people waiting in line to look at it if I didn't want it and I believed her. I really liked the car and it's history so I decided to pay the price. I'm glad I did. 

At our age Ronnie, if you have the money and it brings you joy, why not get it? Have fun and don't look back!

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

At our age Ronnie, if you have the money and it brings you joy, why not get it? Have fun and don't look back!

That was my mindset when I decided to buy my Mustang.  Gary has the same mindset. On our drive down to see the Mustang Gary told me it is getting hard to find older, unmolested, Mustangs that are in nice condition. He also said the prices on them were going up quickly on the really nice ones.

He asked what my budget was for a Mustang. I told him I knew nothing about Mustang prices, but I was willing to pay $5000-$10000 to get a nice one that didn't need much work. He said I should be able to get a nice one somewhere in that price range. After buying my Mustang, paying for sales tax, title fees, insurance, and about $450 in parts, I'm not at the top of my budget but I'm on the upper end of it.

Gary said he doesn't  sweat spending money on something he wants anymore. He said he had already spent over $11,000 on the new "Dart" engine he's building to go in the Mustang he drag races. He said, "it's either spend it on something I want or leave it to my daughters when I die".  That's getting to be my attitude to.  I think a lot of us at our age feel that way.

• Agree 1