Ronnie's New Toy - OFF TOPIC (Mustang GT)

Ronnie

My search for a new toy is over... for now anyway. 🙂  I picked up this '99 Mustang GT today. I think I'm going to like it but the stock wheels have got to go.

first photos -1.jpg

stacys photos-7.jpg

• Like 4

Congrats !!!    Looks like a low mileage car which was always garaged;

3 minutes ago, Top Down said:

Looks like a low mileage car which was always garaged;

Yep. Previous owner purchased it in 2003 with a little over 50k on it from a dealership. Always been garaged since he bought it. It was his "weekend car". Only has 97k on it now. His daughter had to sell it for him because he went into an assisted living facility a few years ago and isn't coming back out due too heath issues.

• Like 1

Very nice Mustang.  Tell us a little more about it and what your plans are in "personalizing" it.  I agree, definitely replace those stock rims.  Maybe paint the exterior either Pearl Black or Ruby Red Metallic(?).  

Great looking car Ronnie! Looks like you did good. A little bling on the wheels and I think you're set. The angle on the car doesn't show the white quite right, I think it looks great.

I started this new topic for the Mustang GT. The one for the Mercedes was starting to get pretty long.

9 hours ago, ship said:

Very nice Mustang.  Tell us a little more about it and what your plans are in "personalizing" it.  I agree, definitely replace those stock rims.  Maybe paint the exterior either Pearl Black or Ruby Red Metallic(?).  

Thanks ship! This one won't need too much personalizing. It has most things I wanted other than the wheels. It is a 35th Anniversary Edition, which means it has most of the bells and whistles that were offered in a GT that year. That package included the items in the list below and probably a more that I'm not thinking of or know about. The photo I took as soon as I got home and posted above doesn't do it justice. The paint and interior are almost flawless, but I have to admit, the white isn't an attention grabber like the red that was on my Reatta. I think wheels will help give it some bling as Dave said. Right now I can't think of much more personalization I want to do.

My Mustang buddy, Gary, went with me to look at it. He has owned Mustangs since he was 17 years old. When we test drove it he said, "If you want an older model Mustang, you had better buy this one. You won't find another one as nice as this one at a price you can afford". I was really wanting one a couple of years newer that has a taller hood scoop but I couldn't pass this one up.

Anniversary Edition Package includes:

-Premium leather seats.

-Power driver seat with electric lumbar adjustment (but no leg support like Reatta 16 way seats).

-Power locks, windows and mirrors.

-Cruise control in steering wheel.

-Mach 460 sound system with cassette, CD player and bigger speakers

-Premium gauges with 150 MPH speedometer and 8000 RPM tachometer

-Traction control.

-Special badging on front fenders identifying it as an Anniversary Edition.

• Like 2

Pretty impressive list.  Do you plan to increase the wheel/tire size?

36 minutes ago, ship said:

Do you plan to increase the wheel/tire size?

I don't think so. Factory tire size was 245/45-17" low profile tires. That's what's on it now and they are almost new. The tread of the tires are 9 inches wide. I think that's big enough for me. 

Yeah, that's a pretty beefy tire size, and the fact that they are almost new.

Lookin good. Oxford white? Light colors aren’t very “blingy”, but sure work well for the summer sun, plus it stays clean looking 😎, says the lazy owner. 👍

I've not looked up the paint code but I believe it is called Crystal white. White is cooler in the summer and easier to keep clean for sure. Not my first choice in colors but I do like white. A good thing about Mustangs is if you want to add some bling you can get any accessory you can imagine and they are relatively cheap. An example on pricing that comes to mind is this Mustang has condensation in one of the headlight assemblies. I think I can fix it myself, but if I want to replace it, I can buy a new pair of the complete headlight assemblies at Amazon for $68.00 (free shipping). And if I want to upgrade to a smoke a colored lens or projector headlights they have those to for just a little more money. It's so nice to have choices and not worry so much about parts availability.

I have found couple of things I don't really like about this Mustang already.  It is bone stock as far as Gary and I can tell by looking at it, even underneath it, but it is much louder than I expected. It is a true dual exhaust car. It has separate Cats and mufflers for each side that end with polished stainless steel exhaust tips at the bumper. When Gary and I were doing the test drive before I bought it, I asked him if it should be that loud from the factory. His reply was, "Yeah, you are buying a sports car Ronnie - not a Cadillac." He said that's the Mustang growl and I would get use to the sound in no time. Maybe I will. The other thing is it doesn't ride like a Cadillac either with those low profile tires and stiff suspension. Maybe I will get use to that to.

first photos -2a.jpg

• Like 2

Don't know if it already has sequential taillights but if not, you could put those in.  I've got three buddies that own Mustangs: one with a 2010 convertible, one with a 65 convertible, and one with an early production 64 and 1/2 convertible.  All three say there have never been a problem acquiring any wanted parts from numerous vendors out there.  The only vendor that folded recently due to retirement was nationally known Mustangs Unlimited in CT. 

• Thanks 1

I wonder if adding an X pipe would help, or hurt, the sound? My grandson had a later 300hp v6 Stang and I too was surprised it had true dual exhaust as you describe. Of course he wanted more so he had a cat back system installed. Go figure🤔

Good luck

40 minutes ago, ship said:

Don't know if it already has sequential taillights but if not, you could put those in. 

I hadn't thought of that. That is something I might like. I'll look into it. I have already ordered a new high stop light for the trunk lid. The one on mine is really cloudy looking. Gary said that is normal for that to happen. To my surprise, the new replacement light that is already upgraded with LED bulbs, was only $31 plus tax on Amazon.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 2seater said:

I wonder if adding an X pipe would help, or hurt, the sound?

Maybe that would help. I'm thinking that some chrome resonator exhaust tips like the old '70s cars use to have might quieten it down but that would require cutting the pipes. I hope I can just get use to it. I don't want to change anything that can't be undone by putting the stock parts back on.

At cruising speed you don't notice the noise much. It's most noticeable when the transmission shifts while accelerating normally and the RPMs drop after the gear change and then it fades away. You do notice it a lot while sitting in the driveway in neutral and punch the gas pedal.

Maybe this photo is a little better than the last one I posted. I got it registered and insured today. Insurance was reasonable considering there is $0 deductible for full coverage. Somehow my local insurance agent that covers my house and other cars can get it for me through Hagerty cheaper than I can. He did the same for me in 2007 when I got my Reatta and saved me some money on premium cost.

Now I can start driving it some and looking for problems I've not discovered. I'm sure it will have a few. All old cars do. 🙂 

GT 2-20-24a.jpg

• Like 2

I know, how about painted flames starting from the backside of the front wheel wells and going across the side of the doors! 

10 minutes ago, ship said:

I know, how about painted flames starting from the backside of the front wheel wells and going across the side of the doors! 

Haha. You do your white Reatta first and if it looks good I might do my white GT. 🙂 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Maybe this photo is a little better than the last one I posted. I got it registered and insured today. Insurance was reasonable considering there is $0 deductible for full coverage. Somehow my local insurance agent that covers my house and other cars can get it for me through Hagerty cheaper than I can. He did the same for me in 2007 when I got my Reatta and saved me some money on premium cost.

Now I can start driving it some and looking for problems I've not discovered. I'm sure it will have a few. All old cars do. 🙂 

GT 2-20-24a.jpg

That white shows up much better with a better angle and lighting. Plus an  anniversary edition I'd say you did great. A young friend of mine bought the 25th anniversary Camaro and then started "upgrading" it, lost interest and sold it. 

• Like 1

I was shocked when I stumbled across this video today. The Mustang's onboard diagnostics doesn't look like it's near as good as a Reatta but better than nothing. I've not tried this yet but I plan to do it sometime today to see how well it works. I feel like Alice in Wonderland trying to learn about this new-to-me Mustang.