THE REATTA LOUNGE

Ronnie

On 9/18/2021 at 11:07 PM, Philbo said:

@2seater Here are the pictures I promised you.  So the repair bearing sits just outside of flush with the axel housing  (sticks out about 1/8").  I measured to the interior edge of the rollers of the repair bearing and compared to where that is in relation to the point on the axel that is flush with the exterior of the bearing.  As you can see the rollers of the repair bearing ride just exterior to the worn portion of the axel.  I did not get a picture of the stock bearings before I removed them but I found this picture online that is representative of how far inside the axel housing the OE bearings ride.  I don't know.  Figured I will give it a try.  If nothing seems amiss when I drive it for the first time.  I will probably give them 1000 miles or so and then pull the axels back out and just see what it looks like.

20210918_122107.jpg

20210918_123257.jpg

inspect_axle_bearing.jpg

Note: For clarification, this is on my '95 GMC not my reatta.

@2seater you may recall this post from a while ago. I figured I would report back. These repair bearings failed, but not it the way I assumed they would.  One side worked it's way out. There is not enough room for it to come out completely but it came out far enough that the flange of the hub ate up the seal and it started leaking like crazy.  I suppose there is a reason GM designed the original bearings to press farther into the axel housing.

I knew this was a bit of a gamble to try them but was curious. After testing them out though, I would not recommend them to anyone. Just buy new bearings and axels and do a proper repair.

Picture of the bearing worked out:

image.thumb.png.d4c00d9b1204eec9a9d8640a709a8d03.png

What it should look like: 

image.thumb.png.5c37f00482863314c8ccd1bee734d04b.png

Edited by Philbo
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

It's cold in East TN! We have 6-1/2" of snow on the ground. Temps expected to drop to -4 by morning. That's nuts for us. I don't remember it ever being that cold here. Schools, banks and most stores in the small town I live in are shut down. Hardly a car on the streets but I-40 is still moving. We'll be fine if the electricity doesn't go off. Faucets will be dripping here tonight! 🙂 

• Like 2

Weird weather up here, also.  In two days' time last week we had five and a half inches of rain, then snow yesterday, then temps are expected to drop into the single digits.  With all the rain, my sump pump has been going off every 2 minutes.  I have a backup pump in case it overheats.

But I'm sure Dave and 2seater are used to your/my weather.  They'll just call us sissies.

Below zero F is cold, no matter where you live. Yesterday even I had car trouble; "the driver wouldn't start".😖 

The darn cold is bad enough that the ice melting products are completely ineffective and all the local streets are skating rinks five days after the major snowfall. I came to appreciate my old Subaru with good three peak tires installed. It is night and day improvement between it and my old Ranger 4x4 with big knobby tires. 

The forecast missed it a little bit on how cold it was going to get. It was +4 here this morning. That's still cold. I don't intend to move my vehicles out of the garage until the roads are cleared if I can avoid it. Same is true for most of my neighbors. That could be a few more days around here since we are supposed to get a little more snow tomorrow. We don't have much snow clearing equipment like they do up north. The state has some dump trucks fitted with plows on the front to keep the interstate clear. Here in the small city where I live it's mostly pickup truycks with snow plows that sling some salt and sand out the back. They primarily stay on the main roads and don't clear the subdivisions much. They came through here yesterday morning but snow is still on the road.

It's 90 and sunny here in Cambodia. No snow anywhere!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

It's 90 and sunny here in Cambodia. No snow anywhere!

Watch where you step while you're over there. There might still be some punji sticks hidden in that part of the world. A friend of mine had to come home early because of an infection from them.

We have been seeing temples follow the paths. Or shopping so far is safe areas from that.

We are now on the riverboat cruise part of our trip starting last night for 7 days .

• Like 2

I was being a little sarcastic. Tim came home with a badly infected leg caused the punji sticks in about 1972. Hope you are having a great time on your vacation.

On 12/5/2021 at 11:23 AM, Ronnie said:

I have kept a new A/C bypass belt in the bottom of a toolbox in the trunk for years. I carry a few small parts like relays, fuses and spark plugs but I need to carry a few more parts like Delco ICM/coils and a good MAF sensor. I don't have either one of those on hand right now.

This is my two "get me home" boxes I keep in the trunk. The toolboxes are mainly for troubleshooting. Anybody else carry a fuel pressure tester and a set of jumper cables in the trunk?

SAM_3866.thumb.JPG.fba686e40068616dba3fb6529c79f9a5.JPG

SAM_3870.thumb.JPG.3b7c9a9f2715d9025e08959dced3622a.JPG

Nice setup 🤩

• Thanks 1

I carry the extra serpentine belts, relays, fuses, ignition module and coils, alternator, MAF sensor, Crank sensor, tools and jumper cables.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

I carry the extra serpentine belts, relays, fuses, ignition module and coils, alternator, MAF sensor, Crank sensor, tools and jumper cables.

Thanks, I was wondering whether to keep the ICM that I ordered by mistake, or send it back. It sounds like I should keep it as a spare

Try it to make sure it works. Nothing worse then putting it on thinking it's good and then looking elsewhere for an ignition problem.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 1:44 AM, Ronnie said:

The forecast missed it a little bit on how cold it was going to get. It was +4 here this morning. That's still cold. I don't intend to move my vehicles out of the garage until the roads are cleared if I can avoid it. Same is true for most of my neighbors. That could be a few more days around here since we are supposed to get a little more snow tomorrow. We don't have much snow clearing equipment like they do up north. The state has some dump trucks fitted with plows on the front to keep the interstate clear. Here in the small city where I live it's mostly pickup truycks with snow plows that sling some salt and sand out the back. They primarily stay on the main roads and don't clear the subdivisions much. They came through here yesterday morning but snow is still on the road.

Have things cleared up and now starting to melt? Or are getting more winter?

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

Have things cleared up and now starting to melt? Or are getting more winter?

Most of the snow is still here because the temps aren't getting above freezing yet.  Tomorrow it's supposed to get up into the 40s and continue to warm up to the 60s by the end of the week. The snow will be gone soon... I hope.

Day before yesterday we got just enough freezing rain that it froze to the top of the snow. The snow is now like a solid sheet of ice.  You don't even break through that frozen layer on top of the snow when you walk on it.  You have to stomp really hard to break into the 6" layer of snow below the ice.  I learned that the hard way today.  I was walking around on my driveway and decided to try to break through the ice by stomping my foot really hard.  When I stomped my foot, it broke through the ice and went deep into the snow, throwing me off balance.  I started falling forward face first.  I hit the ice with my my knees and the palms of my hands at the same time as I stretched out, ending up on my belly as I slid across the ice. I looked like Superman flying through the air. 🤣 

I wasn't hurt at all. I was embarrassed because I'm sure my neighbors were looking out their window at this fool in a red t-shirt (no coat) sliding across the ice on his belly. I won't be doing that again.

• Haha 2

That was your opportunity. Stand up and take a bow like yah planned it. Those 15 minutes of fame can come in small increments🤣

• Haha 2

Here is the way our crazy weather goes here in Tennessee. One week it's down to 0 degrees. Then it jumps up to the 60s. I like the 60s much better. It got up to about 40 today and the ice layer and a lot of the snow melted. Tomorrow most of the snow should be gone and the rain coming will wash away the salt. Finally getting back to normal.

weather 1-22-24.jpg

Dave, Ed Raner posted this on the AACA Forum recently.  I believe this is the car graveyard that you now go to.  He writes, "Take a look at the last car listed in the right hand column".

IMG_1719.jpeg.9b22b2c7d569c85d6c06e67a216907d4.jpeg

2 hours ago, ship said:

Dave, Ed Raner posted this on the AACA Forum recently.  I believe this is the car graveyard that you now go to.  He writes, "Take a look at the last car listed in the right hand column".

IMG_1719.jpeg.9b22b2c7d569c85d6c06e67a216907d4.jpeg

Actually there were two Gibson's. One was a car dealer in Appleton, no longer in business, the other is Gibson Iron and Metal the you pick yard I go to...

• Like 1

Gibson was the Chevrolet-Cadillac dealer and the new car showroom was right in the heart of downtown Appleton on the main drag; College Avenue. At the same time, the local Ford dealership, Sherry Motors, was also downtown, behind the Sears store, not too far from each other, but on opposite sides of the street, literally.🙂 It is where I saw my first live Shelby Cobra, sometime in the mid 60's.

• Like 2