Installed new starter still not workin

Youngowner21

So I bought an 88 reatta a couple months ago and have been trying to start it. I finally got it to click but I don't know where to go from here, I've looked at the actual starter and its alright. But the relays on the firewall look burnt out like the plastic melted. I'm wondering if its a safety thing with these relays. Or maybe if there is a fuse or relay for the starter can someone please clarify. Thanks in advance :)

Welcome to the forum! First make sure the battery if fully charged. Next turn the headlights on. Then try to start the car while watching the headlights. If the headlights go out when you hear the click it is usually caused by a bad battery cable connection. I doubt the relays on the firewall are keeping the starter from turning unless some wires got melted to.

yeah the negative terminal doesn't like to be tightened all the way like it gets tight but then it just gets loose if you turn it any further. Its annoying   

37 minutes ago, Youngowner21 said:

yeah the negative terminal doesn't like to be tightened all the way like it gets tight but then it just gets loose if you turn it any further. Its annoying   

It sounds like the battery terminal is stripped out. There are repair studs available at the auto parts store. The battery connections must be solid and secure or starting problems will continue. Other electrical faults will likely follow as well.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Youngowner21 said:

No use in going any farther until you get that fixed. This might be helpful.

Reatta Owners Journal - Battery Cable Checks & Repair

1 hour ago, Youngowner21 said:

It’s a brand new battery though 

That lessens but doesn't eliminate a problem with the female threads. It is also possible the bolt is bad. If the battery is new, perhaps it should be taken back to the vendor for examination? If one terminal tightens properly, but the other does not, something is amiss.

Just wondering what kind of bolt should I get for the battery, all the positive and negative connections are connected on some triple connector. Wondering if I need a longer bolt or a specific one to get it tight

Ok update I got a new bolt and am now trying to use another battery to start the car, it try’s to turn but can’t, also accessories turn on if that matters

30 minutes ago, Youngowner21 said:

am now trying to use another battery to start the car

Another new battery?

30 minutes ago, Youngowner21 said:

it try’s to turn but can’t

Sounds like you have a dead battery.

ok so had to get a jump starter to start it and it did. It was running but when I turned it off to try to start it it wouldn't turn. I'm thinking its probably low on gas or the starter connections are messed up. Will update when I've checked both 🙂

You're making progress. Maybe you just need the battery charged up fully. Low on gas won't keep the starter from turning the engine over.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok here’s an update for progress of my reatta, so I changed the starter got a new one. And when I try to start it (even when the battery is full and or connected to jump box) it’s not working. All I hear is a low drowning noise coming at the lower part of the car on the passenger side. Also something is draining my battery, previous owner said it was the headlights but I don’t know. Might be a bad alternator. Any advice would be highly appreciated 🙂

I merged your new post with the rest of your posts about the starter so it all makes sense. 

I'm not sure what is on the passenger side that would be making a drowning noise. Does it seem to be coming from the battery area?

I can’t really tell cause I don’t have another person to be outside of the car, but maybe there’s a cable I missed when installing the starter. There should only be two right?

There should be a large cable coming from the battery and a smaller wire that energizes the starter solenoid to make the starter turn. I believe there is a wire there for power as well. Most GM cars do. It's been a while since I looked at mine. It's hard to say what the noise might be without knowing where it's coming from.

Were there any shims between the starter and the block when you removed the original starter? If so, were they reinstalled with the new starter?

Ok so the noise is coming from the driver side of the car, maybe where the ignition is. 

Also lookin at my old starter I feel like I missed a wire cause there’s a rubber lookin piece on it that’s connected to the starter. Any idea what that is?

7334A01C-0D46-45B4-9E96-96F4214ED55A.jpeg