Options for replacing rear struts needed.

lukehemstreet

Okay I just contacted Monroe and spoke to the technical department in regards to the 1990 Rear Regal strut. At first there was push back as the guy looked at the pictures of the Reatta strut verses the Regal strut and he said it would never mount up. I assured him that we were addressing strut mounting on a Reatta website and all I wanted was the physical characteristics. He then was cool about it and gave me what we needed.

They are as follows;

The valving is exactly the same so ride should not be affected. Shaft diameter .983" and tube diameter 2.13" is exactly the same.

The length of the strut body is slightly different Reatta 14.25" Regal 14.56"

The compressed length of the strut is Reatta 15" Regal 15.08"

The extended length of the strut is Reatta 22" Regal 23.01"

The travel of the strut shaft is Reatta 6.55 Regal 7.88

Looks like a great match. 

Monroe is discontinuing the Regal struts as well.

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

Monroe is discontinuing the Regal struts as well.

Thanks for taking the time to call Monroe and get the much needed information. The downside to that strut is it will be discontinued. Otherwise it is a good match in dimensions. 

• Like 1

I just ordered 4 Regal rear struts as well as the last 2 front struts of the Monroe brand from Rock Auto.

• Haha 1

I just ordered two more of the sway bar clamps A&A Manufacturing. I now have 4 clamps, one for each strut. The part #AA_484-A

That gives me one clamp for each strut.

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

I just ordered 4 Regal rear struts as well as the last 2 front struts of the Monroe brand from Rock Auto.

Rock Auto is going to wonder what the heck is going on with the rush of strut orders for the 1990 Regal.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

The downside to that strut is it will be discontinued.

Unfortunately I fear this is becoming an issue for a lot of older vehicles.  Unless they are popular with large numbers of collectors…. 🤬🤬

I have purchased parts for the three different forms of strut substitute and the two rear Regal struts are pretty similar to the Reatta in size and function. The brackets welded on are what make them model specific for the most part. What we really need is just the plain strut barrel without the attachments. The strut for the 2000 year Regal appears to be the same barrel diameter as the Reatta but it has a spring perch as well as the lower bracket. I will compare them to the latest proposed substitute, the aforementioned 1990 model, but one thing is for sure, the rod is the smaller diameter like an earlier attempted substitute and it is definitely a strut in function per the suspension diagram. We really need multiple possibilities going forward, including the modification for a strut cartridge.

I am not an engineer so I need to ask the question, how much wall thickness is required for fabricating our own sleeve for a strut cartridge? I don't have sources for metals, so pricing is just eBay supplies. 2.125" OD DOM tubing .065 wall is $66 for six feet, enough for four struts. There is also .12" wall for quite a bit more, and that would seem to be maximum wall and still allow the cartridge to fit. Since the cartridge is clamped inside, I would think it would add to the stiffness where the .065" wall might be adequate?? 

Edit: Looking at the OEM dimensions given earlier, the wall is ~.12" and the ID must just allow for the cartridge to install. Maybe answered my own question but the OEM insert doesn't appear to add to the stiffness?

Edited by 2seater

44 minutes ago, Grayman said:

So what is the part number for the Regal rear strut?

1990 Regal rear is 71831

2000 Regal rear is 71662

IMG_0159.thumb.jpeg.5a6fb64f004bfac2cc469cbb772211c7.jpegIMG_0160.thumb.jpeg.c6f7ed94cbed1481ed1e3ca17c0b516b.jpeg

An addendum to the previous post: The 2000 and 1990 rear struts for the Regal have the same body diameter as the original Reatta strut. The 1990 struts arrived today and despite the RA offering described as the OE Spectrum, it is a Sensa Trac. That doesn't matter in the fitment but I always regarded the Sensa Track as a little better internally. Aside from the 2000 strut containing a spring perch, the body length is 2" longer at 16.25". It would need to be seated a bit deeper which looks to be physically possible, but it isn't as good a candidate.

• Like 1

Good observation 2seater. Makes me glad I went with the 1990...

I'm posting this photo from bobster99's write up for easy comparison with the Regal struts. He used a strut from a 2020 VW Passat. I'm assuming the Allante used the same rear strut as the Reatta.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Passat rear strut-1.jpeg

-----------------------------------------------

15 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I'm posting this photo from bobster99's write up for easy comparison with the Regal struts. He used a strut from a 2020 VW Passat. I'm assuming the Allante used the same rear strut as the Reatta.

---------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------

One thing to know is this is a front strut, similar to the strut cartridge application using the OE strut adaptation. Not dismissing what looks like a viable and available choice, just adding to the knowledge base.

• Like 1

I really like the simplicity of the 1990 Regal rear strut modification and the comments from Monroe regarding the dampening being the same as the Reatta 71966.  This, combined with the add on sway bar clamp clevis that Daves89 has found make this a great solution.

(Just thinking out loud now...) The clamp on sway bar clevis also makes the idea of a 'from scratch' insert strut holder very possible as nobody has offered up cores for modification.  Tube cut to length, weld a cap on the end, thread the other end, add two dimples for the pinch bolt (two so the strut insert is centered).  If using a Koni adjustable inserts, the rod end thread length is correct and the strut could be tuned to your liking.

For now I am going to shelve the concept of the gland nut weld adapter and the sleeve nut.  I can always resurrect it if needed.  I would suggest for those in need of new struts, go out and get a set of the rear 1990 Buick Regal struts, take the flanges off and add the dimple and buy the clamp on sway bar adapters.

It is wonderful to see how this group has come together to find various possible solutions to keep these great vehicles on the road.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, alchemist said:

clamp on sway bar adapters

Lots of good ideas… each with their own unique limitations / issues for implementation. 

The clamp on bracket for the sway bar moves the mounting point up on the strut because of the way the bracket was made vs. the  “drop connection” point on the OEM unit. 

The sway bar can be connected, but it needs to be rotated upwards to do so. 

I am presently running the Allante Cardone Solution on my 1989 originally proposed by @ErnieR earlier in this thread. 

Allante Cardone solution w/clamp:

IMG_6447.thumb.jpeg.2bfd4583a6755f08ccd6d608b011bebe.jpegOEM:

IMG_4909.thumb.jpeg.8e507a3e4f9e4cfb2754526ae7b6c215.jpeg

Clamp Bracket:

IMG_6296.jpeg.349f42e92feda36d72683b80520ead27.jpegInstalled (Clamp):

IMG_7495.thumb.jpeg.49d766a747445aa14180d931e506fc5e.jpeg

Installed (OEM):

IMG_4867.thumb.jpeg.f138e5b0e9d0276cebaa39bdbaece397.jpeg

• Thanks 1

If any of you are going to order the '90 Regal shocks via Rock Auto, don't forget to take advantage of the 5% discount code 230341472124171508 good until May 26.

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2023 at 8:43 AM, Ronnie said:

Thanks for taking the time to call Monroe and get the much needed information. The downside to that strut is it will be discontinued. Otherwise it is a good match in dimensions. 

Let's be sure to give credit to Al C. He did the hard work, I just called in and verified...

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, DPS.01 said:

The clamp on bracket for the sway bar moves the mounting point up on the strut because of the way the bracket was made vs. the  “drop connection” point on the OEM unit. 

How much does the sway bar attachment point move up?  Doesn't appear to be more than an inch?