Options for replacing rear struts needed.

lukehemstreet

I'll confess that after I placed my order for two struts I was tempted to order 20. I figured if Marck was getting $499.00 a pair for factory originals and Alchemist What he was getting for his fabricated ones, I could get $175.00 each.

But I decided to just let it go just getting my 2 and letting the others on the forum know and ordering what they needed. 

And to the forum's credit they pretty much just ordered what they needed for themselves with no thoughts of resale.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

I'll confess that after I placed my order for two struts I was tempted to order 20. I figured if Marck was getting $499.00 a pair for factory originals and Alchemist What he was getting for his fabricated ones, I could get $175.00 each.

But I decided to just let it go just getting my 2 and letting the others on the forum know and ordering what they needed. 

And to the forum's credit they pretty much just ordered what they needed for themselves with no thoughts of resale.

I'll admit, I had the same thought but much like you, I wanted everyone to have a chance much like you and I. 

My gut feeling is Monroe made approx. 24 extra units in case of defects in the Marck order. Once they had his order fulfilled, they released the "spares" to RA and that's what us lucky owners scooped up.

• Agree 1

My order is out for delivery today with an ETA of between 10 am and 2pm. Looking forward to it. 

There is a guy over on the AACA Reatta site claiming it's "honest competition" regarding the struts becoming available. He completely overlooked the fact that because Marck placed the large buy order the struts we were able to buy we were able to cash in buying the overrun at a reduced price. 

Mine arrived at 8:45cdt. Boxes not in the best shape with struts rattling around loose, but they look perfect.IMG_0222.thumb.jpeg.4a6d99d4f4048c0b695d3c1ac161c27e.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

My order is out for delivery today with an ETA of between 10 am and 2pm. Looking forward to it. 

There is a guy over on the AACA Reatta site claiming it's "honest competition" regarding the struts becoming available. He completely overlooked the fact that because Marck placed the large buy order the struts we were able to buy we were able to cash in buying the overrun at a reduced price. 

There's nothing "honest" about what Monroe did, IF they did what it seems. 

While I'm extremely thankful that I got the pair that I did, I do think that they should have given Marck the chance to buy the overrun before dumping them on the wholesale market. I myself would NEVER have paid the $500 Marck was asking for his struts, so to me it was a godsend. 

1 hour ago, 2seater said:

Mine arrived at 8:45cdt. Boxes not in the best shape with struts rattling around loose, but they look perfect.IMG_0222.thumb.jpeg.4a6d99d4f4048c0b695d3c1ac161c27e.jpeg

I must be like Jonny Rivers [Poor side of Town] as mine have not arrived yet...

37 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

I must be like Jonny Rivers [Poor side of Town] as mine have not arrived yet...

I must admit I was sort of yanking your chain😎 All in good fun, and you definitely aren't on the poor side of town👍

4 hours ago, 2seater said:

2Seater, hang onto that tablecloth, they'll be coming back by winter!!

29 minutes ago, ship said:

2Seater, hang onto that tablecloth, they'll be coming back by winter!!

That's what happens when you recycle stuff for different purposes🤣

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 2seater said:

My struts arrived today at 12:45. 

I wasn't home when they arrived so when I got home I opened the boxes it was just like 2seater said. "They look great". I'm glad I got them.

I noticed the post in the Facebook group was gone too. Someone deleted it. 

maybe things quieted down a bit when people realized it was just a small overrun?

I'm glad everyone got your RockAuto struts that have now sold out. Many of the people who ordered from RA did so to have them on hand when needed. Lets assume the RA struts were overruns from ECRP's run and they were turned over to RA to get rid of the extra inventory.

A question that comes to mind for me is what is going happen if some of the struts that were sold are defective or get damaged in shipment? Assuming there are no replacements anywhere in inventory to make them up under warranty won't we be right back to square one and needing the modified struts? One would think that Monroe would have held on to the overruns for warranty replacements. Or was there no warranty on the RA or ECRP struts?

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

A question that comes to mind for me is what is going happen if some of the struts that were sold are defective or get damaged in shipment? Assuming there are no replacements anywhere in inventory to make them up under warranty won't we be right back to square one and needing the modified struts? One would think that Monroe would have held on to the overruns for warranty replacements. Or was there no warranty on the RA or ECRP struts?

I am thinking the warranty rate on such struts is very low, perhaps less than 4 defective parts per million, that is what the auto makers always strive for.  Very low likelihood of a need for warranty replacements.  The pair of 71966's that I picked up did not state they came with, or without a warranty.

We will see if the market for modified Regal rear struts comes back.  A fellow ROJ member sent me a set of Gabriel units to see if they can be modified like I did on the Monroe units.  The Gabriel's are much more robustly welded and will be a bit more of a challenge, but possible.

• Like 1

I bought a set of front and rear Monroes years ago from Advance Auto for the Red. They had a lifetime warranty. I bought another set, had them installed and took the old ones back for a refund. 

• Like 1

The struts are showing as in stock at RA, although with a 2-day delay this time. Act fast!

We’ve been receiving messages and emails from a lot of you regarding our rear shock project. I owe you all some correspondence, so here’s what I know so far. 

Firstly, this info may change as I haven’t been able to get up with our sales rep at Monroe all week. They have gone radio silent all week. 

Secondly, we had to place an order for a minimum 1000 rear shocks in order for Monroe to produce the 71966 shock for us. We committed to that back in April. We were told Monroe would tool up and make them for us with that minimum order and only that minimum would be made. They assured us they had zero interest in holding inventory for what they referred to as an obsolete part number for them. They would produce them, but we had to buy them all. 

However, it appears that Monroe has been selling OUR order off the top of our pallets in their facility to everyone at well below our wholesale price without requiring the minimum order they required from us. Essentially destroying this project for us. 

Our order was even shorted with only 976 units or less  reportedly coming. 

If you ordered shocks from anyone and the packing list says 71966-ST, you can thank us for that. That was our special part number for the order. Monroe has been stealing out units off our order and selling direct for well under our wholesale pricing. 

Monroe has continuously lied straight to our faces saying “we don’t fulfill direct for any retailers”, and that they’ve shipped our order. 

We still have yet to receive our order despite reportedly shipping from Monroe on Monday. 

Please bear with us while we try to get to the bottom of this. We have thousands of dollars tied up in this project and are committed to finding a resolution. 

Our intention is to renegotiate price with Monroe on what is left of our order (given how they’ve screwed us) and still fulfill all orders and offer folks a refund or store credit for the difference. 

Please stay tuned for more info, and we sincerely appreciate your patience in this matter. We are a small family run business who has been screwed by corporate America big time on this project and we are working to do our best for our loyal customers. 

regards,

Marck Barker

EastCoastReattaParts.com 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Good for you Marck! Renegotiate the price all the way down to Rock Auto pricing or cancel the order. That will get their attention. 

1 hour ago, alec2538 said:

The struts are showing as in stock at RA, although with a 2-day delay this time. Act fast!

Glad to see Rock Auto pulled their listing for the rear strut.

1 hour ago, ECRP said:

We’ve been receiving messages and emails from a lot of you regarding our rear shock project. I owe you all some correspondence, so here’s what I know so far. ...

Welcome the the forum Marck. Thanks for the update. I hope this situation turns out well for you and all involved.  Don't let this dampen your spirits for supplying Reatta parts. This may be a setback but the demand for Reatta parts is only going to increase over time.

• Like 2