Options for replacing rear struts needed.

lukehemstreet

Or Monroe might decide to reissue the original replacements, they fit both and maybe Trofeos also.

Good Afternoon Everyone

I have an 1988 Allante with a frozen strut and I have been running into the same problem as all of the Reatta guys, nothing is available.

I just reached out to X2 Industries and there seems to be a pretty good chance that they can make a replacement strut

At this point we are just in the discussion phase but once he looked at the strut he said this looks pretty easy.

Take an existing strut of the correct length and weld a collar on the bottom along with a sway bar support and we are good. 

Of course he has to talk to engineering to make sure that they have an appropriately sized strut and that what seems simple is possible.

The other holdup is that currently they have a backlog of 500 - 800 units and at this time he is unable to give a date they will be caught up.

I asked if he thought if something could be completed within 120 days... he didn't say yes but he also didn't say no.

I have no idea the cost at this time but one thing that may make things move faster would be if we could set up a Group Buy

He said he would talk to engineering and hopefully get back to me in a week or so.

Once I get some solid information I will let everyone know and also post this on the Allante Forum

I am sure that there are a bunch of people over there who are in the same predicament

Bob Schultz

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bobster99 said:

I just reached out to X2 Industries and there seems to be a pretty good chance that they can make a replacement strut

I appreciate your efforts. I hope you hear back from him and it all works out. Please keep us posted.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Just an update...

At this time, X2 isn't really interested in the business.

I was quoted $825 for a pair and that didn't seem reasonable.

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 8:35 AM, alchemist said:

I posted earlier hoping the Koni Cut-A-Strut inserts would be available, but no response from Koni and I am not seeing them anywhere.  Shifted focus and going down the path of the Adjustable inserts from Koni.  Using 6061-T6 tube, an insert carrier can be made such as below.  The turned down OD will fit into the knuckle.  The threads on each end will accept an M48 Koni Gland Nut.  The design needs to be finalized based on the insert cartridge used plus I need to add the stabilizer bar attachment.  Using a 2.25 OD x 1.75 ID (44.45 ID) gets us close to a 43.5mm OD of several inserts.

A few questions.  Does this have merit?  Is there enough interest?  If so, I can have these quoted up by a few machine shops that I use for work.

image.png.1cb4847df8adb887a93c49cdaf7ce2ba.pngimage.png.b737376d4fb574dd23f53c74c6a00882.png

I believe Ronnie had commented the 1996 Buick Regal uses replaceable insert cartridges on the front suspension.  I looked up the specifications for the Monroe 73305 and compared to the 71966 which is the discontinued exact replacement for the Reatta rears.  The numbers come very close, and the travel is longer.  THe strut inserts are on clearance for $22 right now so I jumped in and ordered a set (spending my First Communion money finally) to play around with.  The OD of the strut appears to be 1.5" so that makes it easy to make an insert tube for constraining it and placing it in the lower control arm.  Similar system to what I show above, but with a gland nut on one end only.

image.thumb.png.e08e8b1063b9943805855e7b7382c03a.pngimage.thumb.png.c78b400f3c61f4d407454e5c045fc93b.pngimage.thumb.png.df396ddb64d605833fd20e519904fca8.png

• Like 1

I like the idea of an insert. It seems to be a long-term solution once the O.E. strut casing has been modified. The one issue I see with this particular insert is the additional length, which must go somewhere. It would seem it would need to protrude from the bottom of the original casing. It is ~1.5"longer when compressed plus it would be raised by some amount being inside the original, which would limit compressed length or upwards wheel travel further. 

2 hours ago, 2seater said:

I like the idea of an insert. It seems to be a long-term solution once the O.E. strut casing has been modified. The one issue I see with this particular insert is the additional length, which must go somewhere. It would seem it would need to protrude from the bottom of the original casing. It is ~1.5"longer when compressed plus it would be raised by some amount being inside the original, which would limit compressed length or upwards wheel travel further. 

I will need to do the math, but I am uncertain if the existing shock tube is usable for the new insert.  It should be relatively straightforward to make a new capture tube that hopefully does everything we need functionally.  Just wish Koni still made their 'cut-a-strut' or bolt struts as they called them.

27 minutes ago, alchemist said:

I will need to do the math, but I am uncertain if the existing shock tube is usable for the new insert.  It should be relatively straightforward to make a new capture tube that hopefully does everything we need functionally.  Just wish Koni still made their 'cut-a-strut' or bolt struts as they called them.

You are right, the geometry of the entire system needs to be considered. It may be the O.E. strut doesn't come close to being bottomed out if there are bump stops or something else controlling compression travel. An entirely new carrier assembly could solve all of the requirements but I was ASSuming the original housing could be used as the holder😖. I was thinking the interior of the original would be smooth and consistent size if that is where the piston rides so an insert could fit there. Perhaps some form of hardening liquid could take up the space? Just spitballing😎

1 hour ago, 2seater said:

You are right, the geometry of the entire system needs to be considered. It may be the O.E. strut doesn't come close to being bottomed out if there are bump stops or something else controlling compression travel. An entirely new carrier assembly could solve all of the requirements but I was ASSuming the original housing could be used as the holder😖. I was thinking the interior of the original would be smooth and consistent size if that is where the piston rides so an insert could fit there. Perhaps some form of hardening liquid could take up the space? Just spitballing😎

Instead of a hardening material such as epoxy, I was thinking of using shim stock to take up any gap, if there is one.  Truly trying to make this an engineered solution.

Edited by alchemist
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 2seater said:

It would seem it would need to protrude from the bottom of the original casing. It is ~1.5"longer when compressed plus it would be raised by some amount being inside the original, which would limit compressed length or upwards wheel travel further. 

I just looked at the numbers.  The 73305 (Regal, insert) strut body length is shorter and the stroke is longer than the 71966 (Reatta, original), so this could work quite well.  Just need to figure out a sway bar attachment bracket as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing a working prototype.  I just acquired another 1990 coupe, and the rear struts are dead.  I don't mind a fabrication project, but see no need to re-create teh wheel if you folks are already getting this figured out.

On 2/27/2023 at 8:23 PM, Padgett said:

Don't forget the Riviera/Toronado with air lifts (forgot the number but not in chart)

Monroe 71801 is the air lift version, and I think I won the lottery, getting the last two that Rock Auto had in stock (not that I need them, I only have 25k miles on our vert and without strut issues).  They are showing as shipped and in transit, one each from two different locations.  You are 100% correct, they are the same base shock (overall length, stroke and body length) with sway bar mounting bracket as the Monroe 71966 but with an air bladder overlay.  At the same time I ordered front struts and hardware just in case the same fiasco happens with those.  Below are the comparative photos of the 71801 vs the 71966.  The 70801 is shown extended, the 71966 is shown compressed.  The 71801 is rotated 180 so the pinch bolt divot retainer is not visible).

I am still going ahead with the 73305 (1996 Buick Regal) strut insert concept, developing a mounting tube/capture for that, which will directly fit into the lower control arm.  Others on this forum and elsewhere are in desperate need, so it is a worthwhile effort.  I have one of the 73305 inserts on order and will create a solid model and get a quote for machining the adapter once it arrives.  It looks like Monroe has stopped manufacturing of the 73305 but KYB is still making them and they are available through your friendly local auto parts store.  I will try to make this a priority and post updates here.

image.png.74d98623e9646f6c20d6dfc3859a700f.png

image.png.37177fea3da77ad70934b0f9ac9714d0.png

Edited by alchemist
  • Thanks 1

So you're the guy that bought the struts from Rock Auto just recently.  Daves89 ask me if I was the guy, but it wasn't me.... it was you!!  He saw them for sale on Rock Auto, and by the time he pulled out his credit card, they were sold and gone!I

1 hour ago, ship said:

So you're the guy that bought the struts from Rock Auto just recently.  Daves89 ask me if I was the guy, but it wasn't me.... it was you!!  He saw them for sale on Rock Auto, and by the time he pulled out his credit card, they were sold and gone!I

Yes, it was me, I must admit.  I will continue to work on the adapter concept, the 73305 strut arrived today, less the retaining and gland nut so I need to work on that with Rock Auto.

I will have to hide them somewhere safe as during the summer Daves89 lives only about 15 minutes from me.  I will sell them to the right person for the fair price of...

One Billion Dollars GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 2

Well if you decide to sell your Reatta I would be interested in buying them. Just keep me in mind...

9 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

Well if you decide to sell your Reatta I would be interested in buying them. Just keep me in mind...

Will do Dave.  I have faith in the 73305 insert in a carrier concept, and once I have the initial prototype complete, I will meet you at Lion's Tail and we can review.

Edited by alchemist

Is this the right part?

5190D89A-9C35-46CC-857E-7BC2EAC548AF.jpeg

Edited by 89reattaWI