THE REATTA LOUNGE

Ronnie

Just received one of two packages from Rock Auto today and it came with a red car magnet... But it was a Dodge Daytona...

On 10/30/2021 at 2:52 PM, DAVES89 said:

Just received one of two packages from Rock Auto today and it came with a red car magnet... But it was a Dodge Daytona...

Received my second package and the magnet was a yellow Datsun.

The only time I've ordered parts from RockAuto they sent me a magnet with a MGB on it. I'm grateful for the one with a Reatta on it that Philbo sent to me.

I think I have (43) Rock Auto magnets. I don't know if that is a good or bad sign🙄  Four are duplicates of previously received ones. The latest received just a couple weeks ago is a red Plymouth Satellite (?) #370    001 is a Red Mustang

Edited by 2seater

The donor car went to salvage this morning. It was simply time to get it out of the way and #2 son volunteered to do the deed. I know there will undoubtedly be something that comes up that may make me regret not holding it for another day, week or month, but I am glad it is done. Surprisingly, I recovered half of my purchase price from the scrap, but that will go to my helpers instead. It looked pretty forlorn with donut spares on two wheels, no hood, right fender, both mirrors, door windows taped in place due to no motors, etc.. but that left us with spare stock wheels and tires for our three cars. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Good for you that you got so many parts off of it. I saw it and actually thought that you should have taken the parts of the Red you bought from me and put it on that car, but it still worked out and two Reattas made one nice one.

On another front it was a real non Reatta week for me as my youngest daughter asked me to do an oil change and while doing that I told her she needed an alignment and new tires. As luck would have it I found a set of Michelins that were the correct size and only one month old. Less then 1/2 price of new and off to Firestone for an alignment. The work was done and they told her she needed brakes so that project looks to be next week.

Then my neighbor comes over and says the serpentine belt is squealing on his son's 2003 Pontiac Sunfire. I went to get a belt and thought I was all set. Got the car in the air took off the driver's side wheel and plastic shrouds and saw that the tensioner had come loose. 3o minutes later tensioner is tightened down and shrouds and wheel back on and all is good.

Dave's Garage is now closed for the weekend. Dave's Detail Shop opens tomorrow for a wash, wax, and inside cleaning of the Black. Hope no one distracts me...

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 4

Ron's Garage has been open for my daughter this week too. I recently replaced the front brakes and rotors on my daughter's Camry and the front driver side soon started squeaking when she would come to a stop. This week I pulled the caliper back off and could find nothing wrong. I decided to put the old backing plates from the old pads on the new pads to see if that would help.  The plates are thin sheet metal plates that clip on the back of the pads to help prevent squealing. That fixed that problem.

Thursday she had new tires installed and that caused the "Tire Pressure Monitoring System" light to start flashing and then stayed on solid. All the tire pressures were good at 35 psi but for some reason the light came on. I was going to take it back to the tire store yesterday to have it checked thinking they had done something wrong when mounting the tires but overnight the light went off all by itself and wouldn't come back on. I guess it reset itself or something after sitting overnight.

Then today she calls me from Knoxville, 30 miles away, and tells me the light is back on. I told her to check the air pressure to be on the safe side and when she did the right front was down 10 pounds lower than the other three tires at 25 psi. That would trigger the low tire pressure light to come on as it should. She aired the tire up at a gas station and slowly drove it home. I took the wheel off and checked the tire carefully for a nail or something in the tire and found nothing. I covered it with soapy water on the tread, valve stem and around the bead. No leak showed up. I guess it will have to go to the tire shop on Monday where they have a tub of water to submerge the tire in to see if it has a leak. I couldn't find a leak myself but I assume it has one even though the tire pressure didn't drop any as she drove home from Knoxville. I'm leery of her driving it until I know for certain there isn't a leak in the tire.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Padgett said:

Did it have a tire cap tight on it when it went down ? Shraders have been known to leak

The cap was tight but it was just a cheap plastic cap. Will they hold pressure? I put soapy water on the valve several times with the cap off but never saw any bubbles that would indicate it was leaking. I did press the valve in a couple of times thinking that might help it seat if that was what was leaking. I was really expecting to find a leak around the bead of the rim where the tire might not have seated properly but soapy water didn't indicate a leak in that area.  I have the pressure dead on 35 psi right now and will check in the morning before driving to see if it lost any pressure over night.

Went out with the kids and grandkids bowling. On the way home I was in the right lane on 441 south [just south of Northland for 2seater to reference] when I saw a deer trying to cross the southbound lanes. She [a doe] was walking and just past the center line coming into my lane when I saw her and I swerved into the left lane and just "clipped" her. It was just a "click" almost like I hit her rear heels, At any rate I just got home and took a quick look and can't see any damage. I'll look again tomorrow as I want to wash and wax the car prior to the winter weather and will probably will know more.

Closest I ever came to hitting a deer and hope I never get closer!

Edited by DAVES89

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

Closest I ever came to hitting a deer and hope I never get closer!

I know the feeling. Remember me posting about running over the top of a deer that had been hit by a car in front of me and was laying in the middle of the road? How I was able to go right over the top of it without damaging the plastic on the front end of my Reatta amazes me. Only thing I remember finding was a lot of deer hair underneath the bottom of the car. It felt like the deer was rolling under the car as I went over it. We have a lot of deer around here, especially on the back roads I like to drive. I try to be home in my Reatta before dark now that I had that encounter with the deer.  I hope your car wasn't damaged.

I've hit a deer head on once. Wasn't a fun day. Glad you mised her.  The one I hit the deer and I both swerved the same direction. I went to the left and the deer (who was facing right) whipped 180 degrees right back in front of me. Couldn't believe how fas he moved. 

Just came back in from the garage and I am happy to say. maybee a scratch and a rub mark [that I can easily buff out] but other then that it looks like I got lucky.

Years ago when I had an El Camino there was a deer running across the field towards the road I was driving on. Just as I got abreast of him he jumped and I was sure he was going to land in the box, but he missed me. Prior to last night that is the closest I ever came to hitting a deer.

I also want to give a shout out to my "Truc-Lite" brand of LED headlights. They really light up the road, not just down the road but also peripherally down into the ditch. Pricey but well worth it. 

• Like 1

Glad to hear there was no major damage. If I have to drive the back roads at night I drive my GMC pickup that I converted to LED light bulbs. I also did a mod on the wiring to make the low beams stay on when I turn on the high beams. It made a huge difference in the amount of light I can put out in front of my truck. It looks like the lights on a 747 coming in for a landing at night. 🙂

• Like 1

Interesting this subject came up now. Originally this would have been a post in What did you do....etc. My intention was to put the Reatta up for the winter, which is at my cottage in the heart of deer country in this state. When the Reatta goes to sleep, the old 4wd Ranger wakes up for the winter. The wake up wasn't an issue but it promptly blew a front brake line before it even got off the lift where it is stored😢 My own fault too, grrrr. I just replaced all the rear brake lines earlier this year for the same issue, and, the power steering lines which had a rust hole in the steel part. I knew the front brake lines looked bad but for for some reason it fell off my radar and now I must address them. Some of the rear lines I replaced were available in pre fabricated form, which is nice since F**d in their wisdom uses different sized fittings on opposite ends of various lines which makes just buying generic lines at the FLAPS untenable. For some reason, front lines for a 4wd 25year Ranger old are not available prefabricated🤨, which requires I make the lines myself with a large selection of fittings for the ends. Not happy about that but even more concerned about taking the Buick slowly back home at this time of the year, through a deer gauntlet. Visions of what happened to Daves89 old black car when #1 son decided to drive it one more time because of nice weather under similar conditions and losing the right fender, headlight assembly and hood due to a deer encounter. 

At the risk of jinxing myself, I have never hit a deer, "knock on head", but I have hit turkeys and chickens which seem to be particularly suicidal  by doubling back in front of the vehicle after initially reaching safety.  

• Like 2

You guys in the land of salt sure have a lot of problems with steel brake lines and fittings. Around here that is seldom a problem. You would think the car makers would have anticipated that being a problem with the brake and fuel lines and used a different metal that wouldn't be so prone to rust. I guess there decisions are based more on cost than longevity.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3