THE REATTA LOUNGE

Ronnie

How about an electric conversion of a Reatta? I know there are companies out there, and have been for a few years, that install Tesla or Chevy Bolt systems in vintage vehicles. Both GM and Ford are starting to offer crate electric motor systems. The Ford crate offering is +100 hp and +100lb/ft over what we have as stock. I know it would sort of kill the Reatta'ness regarding the instrumentation and such but probably preserve the other things we enjoy. I actually talked with a local tuner shop this morning just to get them to think about it. Not in their wheelhouse at this point, but never say never😎

Being seen in a Prius would be a constant fear for sure. 😲

• Like 1

I have a buddy that owns a 2013 Leaf.  Range is about 85 miles on a charge.  He's retired and just uses it around town.  At the end of the day he hooks it up to a 110V car/house plug, and his solar panels on his roof get to work.  Newer Leafs get much more range than his, but he's happy with the 85 mile range.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I am going to divert the conversation away from these fuel efficient cars to talk for a sec about my gass guzzling 1995 GMC Suburban.  

So I am in the process of replacing all 4 wheel bearings on it, which it has needed for quite some time. The rear bearings are interesting as they do not have an inner race but rather the axel shaft rides right on the rollers of the bearing. Because of this they will wear a groove into the axel shaft and the shafts must be replaced along with new bearings. However I have come across these things called "repair bearings" which shift the position of the rollers over slightly to run on an un-worn portion of the shaft. They do this, partially, by incorporating the shaft seal into the bearing as a unit so as to make more efficient use of space. Has anyone ever heard of these?  I am going to give them a try but cannot help wondering if it is just a band aid.  I bought SKF brand ones. I figured they are pretty reputable and seem to be well made. The odd thing is that the rollers are quite a bit smaller, but there are quite a few more of them.

Attatched a picture of wear on the axel shaft and comparison of SKF repair bearing and traditional style. 

20210912_162133.jpg

Screenshot_2021-09-15-22-33-02.png

Screenshot_2021-09-15-22-35-20.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ship said:

I have a buddy that owns a 2013 Leaf.  Range is about 85 miles on a charge.  He's retired and just uses it around town.  At the end of the day he hooks it up to a 110V car/house plug, and his solar panels on his roof get to work.  Newer Leafs get much more range than his, but he's happy with the 85 mile range.

Leaf batteries are very popular for golf cart conversions. You Tube shows a few of them being done.

• Thanks 1

Philbo; I can see where they would shift the seal position to an unworn spot but I don't see how the actual rollers can offset nearly enough to completely move to fresh material. The seal is usually the thing that wears and I have seen repair sleeves for the seals on crankshafts and such, so that design seems worth a try.

45 minutes ago, 2seater said:

Philbo; I can see where they would shift the seal position to an unworn spot but I don't see how the actual rollers can offset nearly enough to completely move to fresh material. The seal is usually the thing that wears and I have seen repair sleeves for the seals on crankshafts and such, so that design seems worth a try.

I unfortunately do not have a picture, but the original bearings are recessed a good ways into the housing maybe a full inch before the bearing even starts. Where as these sit very close to the edge (they actually stick out about 1/8th of an inch). I will see if I can get some pictures. I am fairly certain based on my measurements that they are indeed riding exterior of the original wear.

Part of why I decided to try them is a discussion with a friend where he suggested that the mettalurgy of the aftermarket axles is not as good as the original GM axles. I have no idea if that is true, but I wouldn't doubt it.

• Thanks 1

Every time I turn around something goes bad. First my fuel pump went out, then it was the floor jack, and yesterday my air compressor motor burned up. I went to Lowes today and bought a small Craftsman compressor to replace it. First time I used it it sounds like a rod is going to fly out the side of it. Going back to Lowes tomorrow for a replacement. I'm going to have to do something to change my luck.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the last time it rained hard after hurricane Ida I found a leak in the roof while looking around in the attic. I can't stand up on my 9/12 pitch roof. I had to hire a guy to repair the ridge vent where it had pulled away from the roof. Lucky that I caught that problem before it leaked inside the house.

• Sad 2

That is bad luck @Ronnie :(

I got a Brigs and Stratton air compressor from Sears when they were closing for cheap. Been pretty happy with it.  The pump looks exactly the same as this harbor freight one although mine has a 15 gallon tank.  https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-compressors-tanks/8-gallon-15-hp-150-psi-oil-free-portable-air-compressor-64294.html

You might try one of those. 

Since I've been going to all battery powered tools I decided to go with a small 6 gallon Craftsman pancake compressor that can be easily moved around. I'm trying to buy light weight items when I replace something.

It fits really well in my garage without taking up much space so I guess I will get another one just like it and see if it's any quiter than the one I'm returning tomorrow. It's on sale for $199, ($80 off) and comes with three tools that I might use sometime.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-6-Gallon-Single-Stage-Portable-Electric-Pancake-Air-Compressor-3-Tools-Included/1000595155

It fits in good with my red Craftsman toolboxes. Not to mention my red Reatta and the red Reatta hanging on the wall next to it. 🙂

SAM_4395.JPG

• Like 3

A lot of the oil-less air compressors sound like that, very loud. Mine sounds like a dirt bike with no muffler. You may have to find a oil filled pump style for quieter operation.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, rogold said:

A lot of the oil-less air compressors sound like that, very loud. Mine sounds like a dirt bike with no muffler. You may have to find a oil filled pump style for quieter operation.

You might be right. I was thinking when it was running today that a small gasoline engine would have been quieter.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Ronnie said:

You might be right. I was thinking when it was running today that a small gasoline engine would have been quieter.

They make small opposed twin cylinder compressors designed for portable use with light air tools, like nailers and such, which are very quiet. Harbor Freight has an extensive line in different capacities and I actually have one for several nail guns but it does work in a pinch for short bursts from an impact wrench.  

I got a replacement today from Lowes. It is still loud but doesn't have the rattling sound like a rod was about to come out the side of it.  When I started boxing up the old one this morning I could see a cooling fan through the vent openings on the side. I'll bet the metal cooling fan was loose or out of alignment and rattling.

I tested out the air stapler and the brad nailer. The stapler will sink a 3/8 x 1/2" staple flush into a pine 2x6 easily with the compressor set at 90 psi. It uses standard T-50 staples. I like that since they are easy to find in most hardware stores.   I purchased a sample pack of brads that were from 3/4" to 2" long.  The brad nailer will shoot a 2", 18 gauge brad all the way through a 2x6 at 90 psi like it's going through butter. I didn't buy any finish nails because they don't come in a sample pack and I didn't know what length to buy. I'm sure the finish nailer will work equally well. They all seem like good quality tools for occasional use. The five year warranty on the air tools is more than I expected. The one year warranty on the compressor is a little disappointing. They should have made it five years too.

Maybe I should have checked out Harbor Freight before getting another compressor but Lowes is just so handy for me being only about five minutes away. I buy a lot of stuff there and they have always been good to work with when there is a problem. When I returned the compressor today they were more that happy to take it back when I told them it was making a noise. They gave me a full refund and I went and picked out another one.

This is the second smallest one they have in this style. Only buy on sale of course. This is from right on top of the machine on a concrete floor from zero to full pressure. 

ah nuts, it won’t allow the video to be added.

0B4E38BA-407F-4EA6-BD07-A1AC517C5E2B.thumb.jpeg.2e33f958fe33672f2393b7448b56ad13.jpeg

I just looked at that HF compressor online. I like the fact that it has an aluminum tank. Is it really ultra quiet at 60 db as the ad says? I just checked my new Craftsman and it's 84 db at 10 feet. That's pretty loud.

I threw my old compressor away today. I took it apart and salvaged the gauges ans some other parts. When I took the base off of it I discovered the bottom of the (upright) tank had a hole in it where it had rusted through and what appeared to be more spots that were rusting. It's probably good that the motor burned out to prevent me from using it anymore.

The only videos that will work with the forum software are youtube videos. I guess that is for security reasons to keep from infecting the forum with a virus.

Yah, I tried it and no joy. No issues on my end. A year ago I didn’t know they were a thing but they work great doing work in an enclosed space. I am considering something more like a two stage 60-90 gallon for my shed. Already have a big single stage at home. 

Wow step away for a minute. 2.5 cfm @ 90 psi is about the same as my carry around (about most can lift with one hand at an angle) Craftsman tankette I have in the front garage along with my original 3/4 hp (think they rated differently in the '40s) belt-drive with about a 20 gallon tank. In the back garage have a little buzz bomb connected to the lock on my lift. Also a big standup 6HP Crasftsman (#6 whatever that means) tank with a long reel. And then there is a 12v that I carry on trips. Being near deef cannot comment on noise. When using air wrenches and such big is good. Don't think anything I have is from this century though.

• Like 1

My old compressor was about 15 years old. I think everyone with an old compressor should check the bottom of the tank for rust and holes. I was surprised to find that mine had a hole rusted from the inside out.