THE REATTA LOUNGE

Ronnie

Taking it back to the store can only happen if you are within the free exchange warranty date.

Edited by DAVES89

There is a big yard about 15 miles from me but they crush cars really fast. I'll call tomorrow and see if they have anything relatively new.

Last H6/48 Duracell AGM I bought at Sam's last year was $130 on Christmas sale.. Costco and BJs prolly have something similar.

10 hours ago, Ronnie said:

There is a big yard about 15 miles from me but they crush cars really fast. I'll call tomorrow and see if they have anything relatively new.

The batteries are always pulled from the cars to be sold or recycled. They are tested, charged and sold over the counter.

Drive your vehicle to the yard, pick out your battery set it on the counter, tell the guy you are going to bring in the "core" from your car [your old battery which you will then remove to bring in] and hand them the core and make your purchase. 

It's very simple... 

Edited by DAVES89

I usually keep a junque battery around for a "core". As long as about the same size the exact grp has never been questioned.

I called the yard and they didn't have anything good that would fit. They thought they did but when they looked it was leaking. Apparently got damaged in the wreck. The battery practically sits on the front bumper in the Equinox.

On the way back from the yard I stopped at Walmart and picked up a  "Everlast Max" that exceeded the factory specs for $139 with the same 3 year warranty as the others. That saved me $40. It is made by Johnson Controls, an American company, but I'm sure it is all Chinese materials inside.

I had to do something so the wife could drive the car. After charging overnight, all the old battery would do was burn the lights dimly and the starter would click. Since it died all at once sitting in the garage I'm thinking it probably shorted out from sulfate built up in the bottom. It is 9 years old so I got the good out of it.  With the new battery it starts right up and I'm back in business. 🙂

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Like 1

One of the better things is that all of my cars use either an H6/48 or a 34/78 Dual Terminal so I keep one of each around. When not needed in a car they serve as backups for the UPS in th3 equipment closet (Florida power has never been reliable & goes out a few times every year.)

The Equinox has a group 98R/H6 top post battery. The cheapest one with 2 year warranty at Advance and Autozone was $159. Might be an oddball battery. I don't know.

3 hours ago, Padgett said:

I usually keep a junque battery around for a "core". As long as about the same size the exact grp has never been questioned.

Back in the day when I was parting out Reattas I usually had an extra battery laying around. But a couple of years ago the ner do well family in the rental across the street needed a battery for their GM car so I gave it to them. No more extras! lol

• Like 1

The odd thing about the battery on the Equinox is the computer is mounted on top of it and must be removed just to get the battery out. Once the computer is removed and the bracket that serves as a mount for the computer and a hold-down for the battery, the battery must be pulled out of a box where it is so close that it is extremely hard to get a hold on it. Of all the batteries in the world that GM could have used, the Delco battery that was in it didn't have a handle to pull it out with. I was happy to see the new battery had a handle built into the top of it. Made it much easier letting it down in the box for the battery. I like the Equinox but it wasn't made to work on.

Yes red thingie is on the negative side. Or do you mean the ECM ? My CTS has the battery in the trunk. I just attached a jump box under the hood to keep the presets. Is common anymore to have multiple batteries particularly on start-stop cars.

Edited by Padgett

I think it is called a PCM on the Equinox but I'm not sure. A black plastic cover has to be removed and the silver box is underneath. You can just see the negative post of the battery peaking out on the right side of the computer and the hot post of the battery is under the computer. If you want to jump start the battery you would have to use the remotely mounted stud for the hot post that is under the red cover behind the PCM.

I did connect a 12 volt battery to the cables to keep the computers awake while I swapped the batteries so I didn't have to reenter the all the settings.

IMG_20211025_170923954~2[1].jpg

IMG_20211025_171011797~2[1].jpg

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Padgett said:

My CTS has the DI 3.6. Terrible gas milage.

What do you call terrible? My equinox got 24.5 with three people and luggage between Hilton Head an TN. Not really great mileage by today's standards but isn't bad considering the little engine is pushing a big shoe box down the road. I really wish my Reatta had an engine that would run up to 6000 rpm or more with ease like the little Equinox V6 engine does. It would need the 6 speed transmission as well to keep it in the power band when accelerating. Not much torque at low RPM.

I had the 3.6 in the Buick Enclave [now gone] and the best we ever got for fuel mileage was about 23.5. I think the MPG could have been better but the RPMs were always higher. My wife's vehicle is now a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica and always gets higher gas mileage then the Enclave.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

I had the 3.6 in the Buick Enclave [now gone] and the best we ever got for fuel mileage was about 23.5. I think the MPG could have been better but the RPMs were always higher. My wife's vehicle is now a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica and always gets higher gas mileage then the Enclave.

My father had a 2017 Lacrosse with the 3.6 V6 in it and during the short time I drove it before selling, I averaged over 30 MPG on the highway.  Truly an issue of aerodynamics in comparison to the Equinox or the Enclave.  Pretty awesome engine, IMHO...

Edited by alchemist
  • Agree 1

Heck my Jeep Grand Cherokee tow car gets better MPG (24 on the road). Around town I get 16 mpg and am lucky to get 22 on the road. In a 2 door coupe (Catera Touring Sedan Coupe) with a 3.6 VVT V6. Part of the problem is that the marketeers tried to pitch it as a track day car but is at best is pseudo. They did stagger tries and wheels (by a 1/2"), added a stiff suspension (miserable sideways jounce on brick roads that bothers the Reatta not at all) but worst thing is the positraction 3.73:1 rear gear (would be much better with a 2.97). And this is a RWD model, not a AWD (CTS4). I just wanted a coupe with a roof vent and the big touchscream is a plus (even if the BT needs a lot of help) for a DD and didn't want a Camaro (might have been a better choice, is longer, didn't realize).

Edited by Padgett

In regards to the Enclave I don't think it's aerodynamics as much as it is weight...

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 2:18 PM, 2seater said:

Incidentally, I just received a Rock Auto order and didn't get the coveted Reatta magnet😢

I just placed an order from Rock Auto and requested the Reatta magnet in the "How did you here of us" section...

• Like 2

Bob and I have a couple of sayings we like to throw at each other.

One is;

"If this job goes any worse I'm going to ask you to stop helping"

The other is;

"if you can't fix it right this time, I'll find someone else to fix it for free"

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1