THE REATTA LOUNGE

Ronnie

1 hour ago, Padgett said:

Mine are drained periodically, never been an issue.

My old one had an upright tank with a large plastic base with legs around the bottom so I never noticed it had a drain bleeder until I was scrapping it and then it was too late. My bad. The drain on the pancake compressor is right there in plain sight to remind me.

On 9/16/2021 at 9:17 AM, 2seater said:

Philbo; I can see where they would shift the seal position to an unworn spot but I don't see how the actual rollers can offset nearly enough to completely move to fresh material. The seal is usually the thing that wears and I have seen repair sleeves for the seals on crankshafts and such, so that design seems worth a try.

@2seater Here are the pictures I promised you.  So the repair bearing sits just outside of flush with the axel housing  (sticks out about 1/8").  I measured to the interior edge of the rollers of the repair bearing and compared to where that is in relation to the point on the axel that is flush with the exterior of the bearing.  As you can see the rollers of the repair bearing ride just exterior to the worn portion of the axel.  I did not get a picture of the stock bearings before I removed them but I found this picture online that is representative of how far inside the axel housing the OE bearings ride.  I don't know.  Figured I will give it a try.  If nothing seems amiss when I drive it for the first time.  I will probably give them 1000 miles or so and then pull the axels back out and just see what it looks like.

20210918_122107.jpg

20210918_123257.jpg

inspect_axle_bearing.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Philbo, thanks for the pics. Interesting that there is that much room in the system which is good to see. Sorta begs the question why the bearing wasn't larger or wider to start with? I like the idea of the bearing being further out for greater support leverage. Good luck🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My next door neighbor came over yesterday with a no start problem on his son's 2003 Pontiac Sunfire. I determined it to be his starter and suggested I get a used from Gibson's. So this morning I get it off and head to Gibson's for one. As I pull into the driveway I see about 6 stacks of used tires between 5-6' high. I ask the guy what's going on and he tells me he just bought them and will be taking them to Tennessee. 

Long drive for used tires!

Did they say where in Tennessee?  They're probably going to be at a small tire shop for sale soon.

Has anyone been in contact with Jim Finn lately? I sent him an email a couple of days ago and so far no reply. I usually answers quickly. Hope everything is OK.

3 minutes ago, Padgett said:

He was away but think is home now, just had an e-Mail from him on Tuesday.

Thanks. Maybe he is behind on emails or maybe I just need to resend.

Looking for ideas on how to treat my convertible top. Car is always garaged but as it will be going to Texas for extended days, I am wondering what would be a good treatment for it to keep the cloth top soft and pliable.

On 9/23/2021 at 4:09 PM, Ronnie said:

Thanks. Maybe he is behind on emails or maybe I just need to resend.

I did get a reply from Jim. My email had went to his junk mail folder and he found it.

• Like 1

Met up with 2seater yesterday for lunch. We attracted a bit of attention with our two Reattas parked side by side. We ate a "Chedder's" a chain restaurant somewhat like a Perkins. We had a two hour lunch talking about Reattas, my two mechanic buddies [Kendall and Bob and how lucky I am to have them as both friends and help mates] and exchanging ideas about our cars. I had a great time.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

Met up with 2seater yesterday for lunch. We attracted a bit of attention with our two Reattas parked side by side. We ate a "Chedder's" a chain restaurant somewhat like a Perkins. We had a two hour lunch talking about Reattas, my two mechanic buddies [Kendall and Bob and how lucky I am to have them as both friends and help mates] and exchanging ideas about our cars. I had a great time.  

I like Cheddars, they're a good chain.  

Good lunch for sure. I mentioned that #1 son told me he would be "encouraging me" to get the s/c engine put together over the winter, a project that has been languishing. Ulterior motive there??😎

Sounds like a lot of fun. It must be nice to have some Reatta buddies close by.

• Agree 1

warranty.png

I pass by this ancient mailbox every day. The old rusty box is nailed to an oak that has to be 150 years old. After 3 years of passing it by I decided to open the box to see if anything was inside. After all, there isn’t even a house nearby to which it could possibly serve anyway. Any home it serviced was long ago torn down I’m sure. I noticed an ancient letter inside as you can see in picture #2. I looked at the post mark date and it said July 7, 1903. Due to age and moisture the addressee on the envelope was not readable, so I opened up the envelope hoping to find some local history and a good story I could share with you. Here is what the letter inside said. “We have been trying to reach you about your cars extended warranty.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/7/2021 at 5:49 PM, Ronnie said:

warranty.png

I pass by this ancient mailbox every day. The old rusty box is nailed to an oak that has to be 150 years old. After 3 years of passing it by I decided to open the box to see if anything was inside. After all, there isn’t even a house nearby to which it could possibly serve anyway. Any home it serviced was long ago torn down I’m sure. I noticed an ancient letter inside as you can see in picture #2. I looked at the post mark date and it said July 7, 1903. Due to age and moisture the addressee on the envelope was not readable, so I opened up the envelope hoping to find some local history and a good story I could share with you. Here is what the letter inside said. “We have been trying to reach you about your cars extended warranty.”

You got me good with that one, lol!  I honestly thought I was gonna read about some long forgotten history or something.