What did you do with your Reatta today.

DAVES89

Well, due to almost daily rain/thunderstorms I have not driven the Reatta with any regularity for two weeks.  Additionally, the town has been ripping up and repaving my street.  They haven't finished yet.  There is a big gully at the end of my igloo driveway where it meets the street.  I filled it in temporarily with dirt this morning so that I can head to a cruise-in driving my Reatta.  The contractor most likely will be pissed that there's dirt in the gully when they come to do finish work (whenever that day comes!).  Suck it up contractor...do your job!

• Like 1

Bad weather seems to be the new normal around here. We've had numerous storms with really hard rains. A couple of weeks ago I had the aluminum ripped off the facia board on one side of my house and a few cap shingles blown off. Got that replaced Saturday. I was lucky to get by with just a small amount of damage.

Then day before yesterday a EF 2 tornado just missed me with trees down and power out all around me. Then the storm went on to West Knoxville 30 miles away and ripped the roofs off buildings in shopping centers, knocked down a lot of trees, and knocked out power to thousands. Some people there still have no power.  I was lucky that I had no damage this time.

Ronnie, I've only lived through one tornado in my life, Colorado Springs in 1957.  Tornados are somewhat rare in Massachusetts, but we've had an unprecedented 4 this season; 2 northern MA near NH and 2 near the Cape Cod Canal.  They were EF 0's and EF 1's.  But still, 0 and 1 are 75-95 mph.  A 2 has to be over 100 mph!  Here in the Northeast, we are more susceptible to the occasional hurricane and Nor'easter (big time snow).

I don't think the storm was as strong here as it was when it got to west Knoxville. The National Weather Service came to Knoxville to survey the damage and estimated the winds to be up to 130 mph. Most of the tornadoes we get come in the springtime. It's unusual to get one this time of year.

We are lucky here in Wisconsin. We get both tornados, straight line winds and big snow storms and bitter cold. But we also have great 4 season weather and I still enjoy living here.

A number of years ago a large tree lost one of it's major limbs in a straight line wind. It came off the tree and right through the roof of a house. Damage was so severe they totaled the house and removed it leaving on;y a real nice two car garage which was bought by a neighbor.

Sunday I swapped out the directional/chime module for the original to the car one. I had pulled one from a Reatta I parted out years ago. The one from the parted Reatta would be slow activating on left hand turns so after 100,000 miles plus it finally bothered me enough to put the original one back in.

• Like 1

Have we determined how many miles between changes on spark plugs with the Delco ignition module/coil pack upgrade? I am at 60,000 miles and think maybe it's time? 

On newer electronic ignition systems like the Reatta has, I expect to get 100k on a set of plugs. I usually don't check them before that unless I suspect a problem. I guess the type of plug you use would make a difference. I buy good plugs but not the super expensive ones.

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

Have we determined how many miles between changes on spark plugs with the Delco ignition module/coil pack upgrade? I am at 60,000 miles and think maybe it's time? 

IMO, sounds a little early in the mileage department to change them out.  I know the recommended mileage for spark plug replacement on my '00 Eldorado is 100K.  But then again, by that time they could be melded to the aluminum block!  I'm at 81K mileage as of now.

I must say that I do not have a regular schedule for spark plugs. I split up time and miles on a few vehicles so I am a poor judge but if in a questioning frame of mind, pull an easy one to get to and give it a looksee. 

• Agree 1

The service manual says to change plugs every 30,000 miles.  If changing them increases you MPG, it won't take long to recover the cost of new plugs.

I sort of lost track, but in the 87k miles I have added to my car, I have changed the engine five times, along with new plugs. For some reason my mileage never improves on the original🤣 

The car starts and runs great and the gas mileage has not changed so I think I am still good. If I feel motivated some day I'll pull one and take a look. It took me 100,000 miles to swap out a directional module, and I have had an intermittent ABS code for 2 years now, so motivation is getting to be a problem. 

My front brakes are starting to sound like they need attention. Maybe then...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Went on a mostly highway 220 mile round trip today and at about 170 miles I was getting just over 30 miles to the gallon. By the time I got home at the 220 mile finish it was still 29.8. I think my plugs are still good...

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Yesterday was about 400 miles and I finished at 28.7...

That's much better than I ever got in mine as far as I can remember. But I rarely drove on the interstate.

Thanks guys.

On another front I knew my front brakes needed to be done so this morning was front pads and rotors. After that I also swapped out the oil level sending sensor. When I pulled the old one out the plastic float was off only the rod remained. Put in the new one [different design at the head] and now no warning.

Enough for today for this old guy crawling around on the floor...

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I attended my local car show!

I didn’t win anything (didn’t expect to), but I’m a little sad how many “car people” in attendance didn’t seem to know what a Reatta even was. 

IMG_5470.jpeg

• Like 1

Great looking car. The most common question Reatta owners get at a show is, "What is that?". Sad but true.

• Agree 1

I need to figure out how to restore the tail light. I waxed it once and it didn’t last. 

it’s super Smokey currently as you can see. 

• Like 1