What did you do with your Reatta today.

DAVES89

Over the last couple of years I noticed that my drivers seat would "rock" when I came to a stop. So today I took the seat out and looked at what could be loose. I see that the track has a "Bar" in it that allows the seat to slide forward and back. That bar has white plastic enveloping it to help it slide smooth and be sacrificial to the metal. Well my plastic wore away and broke off. So I took the track piece off the bottom of the seat and turned it end for end so the plastic that wasn't wore away at the back end of the track is now at the front so the rocking motion is gone. Everything still matches up for mounting it back in the car, the trim is still correct except that you cannot use the plastic foot covers unless you reverse them because the back is now on the front and the front is now on the back. I don't use the foot covers left them off years ago.

Adjusting the seat height and tilt is no different, you are just turning the track end for end.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I drove my Reatta about 100 miles this morning on one of my favorite roads. I had a great time cruising in the cool morning air. It had been a while since I've had a chance to drive it so I got that first time feel that always brings a smile to my face. It fired right up and drove like a new car.

The road I was on has lots of sweeping curves and gently rolling hills. Just enough of both to keep your interest while allowing you to enjoy the drive . I came home to eat lunch and rest a little before I jumped in the Mercedes and drove the same route on the same road.

Both are great driving cars but they have an entirely different feel. The Reatta feels heavier (it is) and it holds the curves really well. The MB feels lighter and more nimble in the curves but it doesn't take the curves as smooth as the Reatta. It doesn't have rack and pinion steering but it does have a steering stabilizer shock on the steering linkage like the old Volkswagens had. I guess that is the reason the steering feels so different. Both cars are a lot of fun to drive.

Power delivery of the 3800 V6 and the 2.2 liter inline 4 is completely different. 165 HP vs 148 HP is quite a difference but surprisingly you don't notice it much because of the lighter weight of the MB. The MB engine has VVT and I think that gives it more torque than you would expect but not as much as the 3800. The MB engine really likes the higher RPMs to without feeling strained. Both are really good engines.

The Reatta is a much more high tech car. The MB doesn't have an electronic shift transmission or even a lockup torque converter. It's a very simple rear wheel drive car compared to the Reatta. The MB has standard analog gauges on the dash, which I like, and none of the high tech electronic stuff like the Reatta has. The MB does have ODB2 diagnostics. With a good scanner it gives a little more information about some things the Reatta diagnostics doesn't cover. Mostly ignition, brakes and emission problems I think.

Comfort is good in both cars with the MB having an advantage in leg room and headroom. The Reatta has more of a solid feel. I think part of that is because the weight of the doors on the Reatta compared to the MB doors. Both have all the power features you expect in a luxury car, seats, mirrors and automatic climate control to name a few. It goes without saying that the Reatta wins hands down in looks and grabs a lot more attention.

• Like 5

On 7/6/2023 at 7:22 PM, Ronnie said:

I drove my Reatta about 100 miles this morning on one of my favorite roads. I had a great time cruising in the cool morning air. It had been a while since I've had a chance to drive it so I got that first time feel that always brings a smile to my face. It fired right up and drove like a new car.

The road I was on has lots of sweeping curves and gently rolling hills. Just enough of both to keep your interest while allowing you to enjoy the drive . I came home to eat lunch and rest a little before I jumped in the Mercedes and drove the same route on the same road.

Both are great driving cars but they have an entirely different feel. The Reatta feels heavier (it is) and it holds the curves really well. The MB feels lighter and more nimble in the curves but it doesn't take the curves as smooth as the Reatta. It doesn't have rack and pinion steering but it does have a steering stabilizer shock on the steering linkage like the old Volkswagens had. I guess that is the reason the steering feels so different. Both cars are a lot of fun to drive.

Power delivery of the 3800 V6 and the 2.2 liter inline 4 is completely different. 165 HP vs 148 HP is quite a difference but surprisingly you don't notice it much because of the lighter weight of the MB. The MB engine has VVT and I think that gives it more torque than you would expect but not as much as the 3800. The MB engine really likes the higher RPMs to without feeling strained. Both are really good engines.

The Reatta is a much more high tech car. The MB doesn't have an electronic shift transmission or even a lockup torque converter. It's a very simple rear wheel drive car compared to the Reatta. The MB has standard analog gauges on the dash, which I like, and none of the high tech electronic stuff like the Reatta has. The MB does have ODB2 diagnostics. With a good scanner it gives a little more information about some things the Reatta diagnostics doesn't cover. Mostly ignition, brakes and emission problems I think.

Comfort is good in both cars with the MB having an advantage in leg room and headroom. The Reatta has more of a solid feel. I think part of that is because the weight of the doors on the Reatta compared to the MB doors. Both have all the power features you expect in a luxury car, seats, mirrors and automatic climate control to name a few. It goes without saying that the Reatta wins hands down in looks and grabs a lot more attention.

So which one Ronnie? Or maybe sell the pick up and keep them both?

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

So which one Ronnie? Or maybe sell the pick up and keep them both?

I'm going to have to learn how to speak German. I've decided to keep the Mercedes. The Reatta will be going up for sale soon.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

I'm going to have to learn how to speak German. I've decided to keep the Mercedes. The Reatta will be going up for sale soon.

I was hoping you would keep the Reatta so I could make an offer on the MB to get a different car experience. I have 2 Reattas now, and my wife drives a minivan which I really don't care for as a daily driver. I'm actually considering another road car for a different driving experience...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Say it isn’t so!!  I just renewed my PA registration for two years after I asked my wife if we should sell our Reatta and she said No!  😁

Edited by Nittany

It wasn't an easy decision but at this point in my life I think keeping the Mercedes and letting go of the Reatta is the right thing to do.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On Sunday (7/9/23), I attended the Endicott Estate annual car show in Dedham, MA with members of my BCA Minuteman Chapter.  We had 16 Buicks participate.  This car show attracts at least 1500 cars of all makes and models.  To my left is a '34 Model 60, and to my right is a '56 4 door hardtop.

2023 Endicott Car Show.jpg

Edited by ship
  • Like 2

On 7/9/2023 at 4:15 PM, Ronnie said:

It wasn't an easy decision but at this point in my life I think keeping the Mercedes and letting go of the Reatta is the right thing to do.

I'm sure I am speaking for others beside just me...will you keep the Reatta Journal and Forum running...please?

1 hour ago, ship said:

I'm sure I am speaking for others beside just me...will you keep the Reatta Journal and Forum running...please?

I have no intention of changing anything about ROJ as long as people are using it and the expenses don't get too high. It's my intention to be here just as much as I am now. I enjoy being on the forum and helping others when I can. The only difference will be me not having a Reatta in my garage.

I'm going to be honest, as I've been removing all my stuff from the trunk, console, glovebox, and doing a few things to get it ready to sell, it's been hard for me. It's how I imagine it would be if a person was making plans to get a divorce after spending years with a woman who's done nothing wrong, and is still as beautiful as she was the day you met her. I've never had an attachment to cars I've sold in the past but this one is different. I hope I can find her a good home. If anyone is interested in giving her a good home send me a message.

• Thanks 3

Ronnie that is good to know and thanks for all you have done. 

I have bought and sold other cars and Reattas over the years but I have held on to the original one. I too wonder how I will feel when the day comes when I let it go. It has been far and away my favorite car. I truly believe it's like the "Thunderbolt" referred to in "The Godfather" when Michael meets what will be his first wife. You see it and you have to have it. For some it's like an affair, you have the car for awhile and you let it go. For others it's a marriage you keep it forever...

• Like 2

Just prior to having the rack and pinion installed I was having a little of what I call "Torque Steer" where the car would "skip" when under a bit of a hard acceleration I would experience a slight skip. I also sometimes experienced it accelerating into curves. It got worse after the new rack was installed so I thought the old rack was worn out [it was also leaking] that was the culprit. After the next rack was installed as I said it seemed worse and also was leaking very slightly [it was some o rings] but because I was a good customer the garage swapped it out. Well the skipping persisted so I went to my two mechanic friends and asked their advice and they both agreed that it probably was the dog bone torque strut on top of the engine. I swapped it once, went back to them and said it's still doing it, so they did the same test over again [put the car in drive, left foot on the brake and accelerate watching the engine] and they determined the second one I had was also worn out. 

So I went online and saw that Advance Auto had one in stock and on sale and in stock so I bought it and installed it. Just trying it out it seems that my torque steer issue is over. 

My next project is to do the sway bar end links. They are original to the car which now has 322,000 miles on the body. The engine motor mount is 5 years 60,000 miles old.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

My next project is to do the sway bar end links.

If they are worn and loose that can make a good difference in the way the car handles. I put the urethane aftermarket kits on my car not too long after I got my Reatta and they are still good as new. I think your '89 will use the same style as my '88 but they might be like the ones on the '90 model which are different.

4 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Just prior to having the rack and pinion installed I was having a little of what I call "Torque Steer" where the car would "skip" when under a bit of a hard acceleration I would experience a slight skip. I also sometimes experienced it accelerating into curves. It got worse after the new rack was installed so I thought the old rack was worn out [it was also leaking] that was the culprit. After the next rack was installed as I said it seemed worse and also was leaking very slightly [it was some o rings] but because I was a good customer the garage swapped it out. Well the skipping persisted so I went to my two mechanic friends and asked their advice and they both agreed that it probably was the dog bone torque strut on top of the engine. I swapped it once, went back to them and said it's still doing it, so they did the same test over again [put the car in drive, left foot on the brake and accelerate watching the engine] and they determined the second one I had was also worn out. 

So I went online and saw that Advance Auto had one in stock and on sale and in stock so I bought it and installed it. Just trying it out it seems that my torque steer issue is over. 

My next project is to do the sway bar end links. They are original to the car which now has 322,000 miles on the body. The engine motor mount is 5 years 60,000 miles old.

Turns out it was a broken motor mount. It's the transmission mount that looks like a pin cushion and is on the passenger side. $11.99 at Auto Zone. Discontinued at NAPA...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2023 at 10:22 AM, ship said:

On 7/11/2023 at 12:47 PM, Ronnie said:

I have no intention of changing anything about ROJ as long as people are using it and the expenses don't get too high. It's my intention to be here just as much as I am now. I enjoy being on the forum and helping others when I can. The only difference will be me not having a Reatta in my garage.

To reassure everyone of my intentions for ROJ... thought I'd let you all know that I've paid for another 12 months of hosting for ROJ, and paid another 6 month subscription fee (paid biannually) for the forum software so we're good to go for another year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Ronnie said:

To reassure everyone of my intentions for ROJ... thought I'd let you all know that I've paid for another 12 months of hosting for ROJ, and paid another 6 month subscription fee (paid biannually) for the forum software so we're good to go for another year.

Ronnie, thank you.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Thanks Ronnie! Looks like we are good for another year...

• Like 2

Been having problems with my cruise not working consistently so thinking it was the servo swapped it out, That wasn't it. Checked the vacuum, that wasn't it either [although I put an elbow on the big vacuum hose at it broke while I was trying to pull it off the servo]. So I ordered new brake and cruise switch from Rock Auto and they are to arrive next week. But I did try what another guy on the forum did. I grabbed the brake pedal just above the brake pad and pushed and pulled it several times and then went for a ride. The cruise locks in every time and accelerates when I use the slide switch. Never thought reefing on it would make something work, but why not? Maye it just had to reseat itself.

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Glad it started working again. Might just be the switch out of adjustment.

So I placed an order for Sway Bar End Links [along with the Brake and Cruise switches] with Rock Auto last week and they arrived today. Just one side. I didn't pay attention to not getting two sets. So I placed another order for another Sway Bar End Link and yes scanned through other parts listings looking for other items to add without changing warehouses or adding to my freight cost. 

• Like 2