Will a 1988 Riviera CRT ECC touchscreen plug into a 1988 Reatta?

ski.dive

Best way to know if it's the CRT itself causing the shaking or something else is to swap in one you know is good and see if the shaking goes away. Other things can cause the shaking.

I started my Reatta one time and the CRT was shaking like crazy and it looked real fuzzy. I the first thing I thought was The CRT or power supply  had gone bad while parked for a month. Then I realized the battery charger was still connected to the battery. I disconnected the battery charger and the CRT was back to normal. I've heard of a bad alternator causing the same thing. The power supply for the CRT needs clean DC going in to put out clean AC with the correct frequency for to power the CRT electronics properly.

My 20 year old battery charger puts out a lot of AC voltage as well as DC voltage.  Ideally, if you set your meter to AC and check the cables of the battery charger when it's connected to the battery you should see very little AC voltage. Maybe the newer battery charges do a better job of putting out pure DC power.

Ok, my second CRT came in the mail today. Paid $70 plus shipping for this one. It works perfectly. Does not flicker at all. I requested a return for the other one and the seller gave me the full refund and did not want it sent back. So I have that one for a backup in a worst case scenario. Thanks for all the help and pointers. As they say, you get what you pay for. And sometimes, you get darn lucky!

BTW, these are both Riviera crts. It seems as though the Riviera crts go for less than the Reatta crts. Probably because there are more Riviera parts out there than Reatta. I wonder if in 1988 the Riviera went to the hard buttons and same layout for the buttons as the Reatta. The touch capacitive buttons don't bother me but it is a little annoying that diagnostic and trip monitor are in different spots of the Riviera screen as compared to the Reatta. I have adjusted. Not a big deal. I'm especially happy not having had to pay $400 for a screen replacement.

Ok, judging from a 1989 Buick Riviera youtube video, the 1988-1989 Rivieras had the same crts as the Reattas with hard buttons.

• Like 1

Glad to hear you got a good one this time. You were lucky to find an honest eBay seller who gave you the old one.

• Like 1

BTW if your original touchscream is in good shape, you can swap.

5 hours ago, Padgett said:

BTW if your original touchscream is in good shape, you can swap.

Swap? like take the front panel off and put it on the other one?

Yes can remove unplug the touchsceen portion and substitute a different one. Never tried with a Riv but if the connectors connect, there you are.