Will a 1988 Riviera CRT ECC touchscreen plug into a 1988 Reatta?

ski.dive

Can you tell me if a 1988 Riviera CRT ECC touchscreen plug into a 1988 Reatta?

Without any modifications, will it just plug and play?

It's plug and play from an '88 Riv to a Reatta. The '86/87's are different.

Good to know...Thanks

...but I think the default screen will say RIVIERA. Otherwise it's the same.

Now that I think about it, the REATTA/RIViERA screen is stored in the ECCC

• 3 years later...

Will a 1987 Buick Riviera screen work in a 1988 Reatta? They're the same screen I believe minus the hard buttons.

No it will not work.

Edited by DAVES89

And the answer is: yes it will work but the arrangement of the buttons around the touchscream is different.

Thank you for the welcome! I ordered a 1987 Riviera screen and it plugged in and works pretty well except it does shake a little. Like it is calibrating or something. I wonder if I didn’t plug the connector in good enough or if my power supply isn’t sending a good signal. I have a separate power supply I might try plugging in and seeing if it fixes it. Another helpful person on the Facebook page suggested I do a test with my alternator to see if that is causing it. 

yes, it does say Reatta on the screen so that is stored in ECCC. 

tia!

Edited by BlakesReatta

25 minutes ago, BlakesReatta said:

Another helpful person on the Facebook page suggested I do a test with my alternator to see if that is causing it. 

That would be me. I hope you will keep us posted on what you find.

Shake is common when first started up, should be stable once warmed up else the caps may be going.

5 minutes ago, Padgett said:

Shake is common when first started up, should be stable once warmed up else the caps may be going.

Just a little history on the shaking... On facebook Blake said there was NO shaking with the engine off. I suggested the alternator might have a bad rectifier preventing it from producing pure DC and causing interference. Does that sound logical?

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Just a little history on the shaking... On facebook Blake said there was NO shaking with the engine off. I suggested the alternator might have a bad rectifier preventing it from producing pure DC and causing interference. Does that sound logical?

I tend to think it is the capacitors actually. It seems to do it after the car has been sitting overnight or on a cold start. The shaking stops once the car has been running for a while. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BlakesReatta said:

I tend to think it is the capacitors actually. It seems to do it after the car has been sitting overnight or on a cold start. The shaking stops once the car has been running for a while. 

Then capacitors is more likely the cause. I thought it worked fine anytime the engine was off.

My '11 Caddy touchscrean sometines does the same thing for a few moments on a cold start. No it is not a Cue.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Then capacitors is more likely the cause. I thought it worked fine anytime the engine was off.

No I think I misunderstood you earlier. I haven’t tried it on a cold run with the engine off now that I think about it. I will try that in the morning. It seems to shake a little bit when you first crank the car up and about five minutes after the shaking stops. I think it has to be the capacitors. This is an original unit, untouched Not rebuilt so it’s very likely just some old parts that take a while to warm up. The alternator is brand new on the car. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Ronnie, I tried it this morning after cold start. It shakes worse when you first crank up the car than when you just turn the key. It does still shake a little on just the battery but does seem worse after cranking the car. I’m going to try disconnecting and reconnecting the connectors and the power supply with a different power supply. If the alternator is causing it, is it because it is incompatible with the crt? 

or is it just the capacitors because it seems to go away after five minutes. Judging from others’ crts (seen from videos) it seems like a  very small amount of shaking is normal-Not for long periods of time but on initial start when the crt first comes on and when you turn the car off open the door it shakes like this off and on.  I know it runs thru a cycle when you open the door to warm up but I don’t think that warms it up enough in my opinion. 

Edited by BlakesReatta

As the capacitors degrade the shaking will get worse particularly after sitting for a while. See "reform capacitors".

"The process of reforming an old aluminum electrolytic capacitor consists of the application of rated voltage, through a resistor, for a period equal to five minutes plus one minute per month of storage."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Padgett said:

As the capacitors degrade the shaking will get worse particularly after sitting for a while. See "reform capacitors".

"The process of reforming an old aluminum electrolytic capacitor consists of the application of rated voltage, through a resistor, for a period equal to five minutes plus one minute per month of storage."

Thank you