ACDelco Brake Accumulator

Ronnie

I bought one from Spinningwheels-SC. It's called a Hydac accumulator ball. It's around 170.00. It took 5-10 minutes to remove the old one and install the new one. It's about a third larger that OEM but fit's fine. Some people are saying you have to shim it. I didn't shim anything. It doesn't come with the allen wrench top but on the bottom there is a bolt that I was able to get a needle nose vise grip on and snug it up. It solved my problem.

They are probably the best source for accumulators we have right now. I hope they continue to keep stocking them. Did you have to wait long to get it shipped to you?

I got mine from Spinning Wheels in about 3 weeks.  I was on a waiting list until they got a new shipment.  The instructions stated that you could use JB Weld to put a nut on top of the ball.  I used a rubber strap wrench instead.

Good communications with them during the process.

I have a new one that I traded front wheel speed sensors with East Coast Reatta parts. I haven't used it yet. I also had an "episode" where my pump failed on the "Red" and as luck would have it the pump/motor I swapped had an accumulator that was good however the pressure switch was junk. So now I have a new accumulator and a "known" good one on the shelf.

I had some NOS units that I sold off as I was concerned about deteriation of the rubber lining.

Last week I went to a different You Pick yard and came up with two pump/motors one of which is a 1988 only pump/motor as the brake line is different. So if anyone wants one let me know, I'll let it go for a good price.

Last week I went to a different You Pick yard and came up with two pump/motors one of which is a 1988 only pump/motor as the brake line is different. So if anyone wants one let me know, I'll let it go for a good price.

Dave, you've got me wondering if the extra pump I have will work in my '88 if I need it. I'm pretty sure the whole master cylinder would work on my car but I dread ever having to swap out the whole thing. Do you remember what year my extra pump is?

Maybe I might need the '88 pump you have in the future and just don't know it. I've always just assumed that the extra pump I have on hand would interchange with what is on my car.

I don't believe the one you have is an '88. the hard line on the top has bleeder screw style bolts. If you replace the entire unit you are good, pump motor not so much.

I never knew there was a difference either. However I think you could do a double flare and maybe make it work. Could you take a look at yours [the one in the car and the one you have in your back stock] and offer an opinion?

Is the brake pressure line a banjo bolt style hose? I don't have any experience with that style and those would likely be ones I could not test directly with my gauge setup. I doubt the brake fitting for the steel line, 3/16" European bubble flare, would be the same as the hollow bolt?

It might be Monday before I get a chance to look at it. I have a lot to do this weekend. I'll be putting out mulch around the house today... about 80 bags and I have some flwoer planting to do as well. We have plans with family tomorrow and Easter Sunday. The ABS unit was wrapped in plastic, taped up in cardboard and then stored behind a lot of other stuff. If I do get time I will take a look at it and compare it to mine. .

Since you have one that we on hand that is a direct bolt on, PM me the price shipped and let me think about it. I might be interested now that you've found out it is unique to an '88 model.

Is the brake pressure line a banjo bolt style hose? I don't have any experience with that style and those would likely be ones I could not test directly with my gauge setup. I doubt the brake fitting for the steel line, 3/16" European bubble flare, would be the same as the hollow bolt?

I know that my master cylinder has a hose instead of a steel line but I've not noticed what kind of fittings it has. I will look at it and take a photo in a few minutes and post back what I find.

I don't know my car as well as what I thought I did. I could have sworn that it had a hose but the photos show otherwise. The only hose that I could find goes to the reservoir. I wonder if my master was changed out at some point or if my car is a latter production car that came with the steel line?

SAM_3656.thumb.JPG.da42c003efe073a08bf66173f9f0b480.JPG

Dave would know the best but that sure looks like the later model setup common to the '89 and '90. I wonder if there is a s/n where the switchover occurred? I think it is good news for you.

From the picture Ronnie posted he has the '89/90 setup. I just sent over pictures for Ronnie to load. I knew there was a difference between the '88 to the '89/90 but I thought that could be overcome. There is a hydralic hose place near me that I may check into to see what could be done.

2seater, If I remember right the pump/motor you bought was off a Pontiac bonneville, but I know I pulled one off a '88 Riv that had the later set up. The '88 pump/motor set up might be very rare.

Ronnie you and AzRon should post your vins so we can see what might be going on. If there are any other '88 owners it would be great if they chime in as well.

I do have someone interested in my '88 pump/motor. If he passes, it will be available.

From the picture Ronnie posted he has the '89/90 setup. I just sent over pictures for Ronnie to load. I knew there was a difference between the '88 to the '89/90 but I thought that could be overcome. There is a hydralic hose place near me that I may check into to see what could be done.

2seater, If I remember right the pump/motor you bought was off a Pontiac bonneville, but I know I pulled one off a '88 Riv that had the later set up. The '88 pump/motor set up might be very rare.

Ronnie you and AzRon should post your vins so we can see what might be going on. If there are any other '88 owners it would be great if they chime in as well.

I do have someone interested in my '88 pump/motor. If he passes, it will be available.

Below are the photos of the '88 & '89 pumps sitting side by side for comparison. Dave will explain about them.

I won't be needing the '88 pump since I have the later model pump on my '88 that has the steel line. I think my spare Teves unit is the later model as well that has the steel line. My car is number 4593 out of 4709 produced in '88. It would be interesting to know if any other '88 owners could check and report if their cars have the steel lines on the pump. I talked with the original owner of my car back when I purchased it and she told me the only parts that she remembered being replaced was the headliner but maybe she forgot about the brake pump being replaced?

1428957859_brakepumpcomparison.thumb.jpg.7b7b7121526be138daee84e966486863.jpg

500195300_brakepumpcomparison2.thumb.jpg.f6a83cf8d761e47cc6988f36f72756be.jpg

Thanks Ronnie.

Both pictures are the same and can be enlarged by clicking on them. The pump in the foreground is the '88 pump/motor. You can see it has a different line and uses "banjo" bolts that are vented for bleeding the system. The pump in the back ground is the '89/90 pump/motor and uses a hard line that has brake line fittings.

As you can see the lines are not able to be swapped so if you have an '88 Teves Master Cylinder and you want a pump/motor for back stock you need and can only use an '88 pump/motor.

I am sure there is no difference between the pump/motors from year to year but the line was probably changed as a cost savings measure by G M. You can see that the line on the '89/90 would be far cheaper then the line used for the '88. All that needed to be changed was tapping the holes on the pump/motor and the Teves Master Cylinder.

I know it is unlikely, but I wonder what the hole looks like under the hose bolt? The hole for the tube is just a straight thread with a slightly dished bottom. The bubble flare tube seals against that dished surface and is simpler to make and use that the typical double flare.

My 88 has a hose. Vin is 1G4EC11C1JB901584

I purchased one of these sets. Sending check today.

The '88 pump/motor is sold. I had to go out to Gibson's for a drivers side mirror for my neighbors Dodge Caravan so thought I would see what was out there in the way of pump/motors.

After walking through the Olds, Pontiac, Buick and then Cadillac I realized that between Jim, kdirk and myself [with one for 2seater] the lot was picked pretty clean. However while there were no '88 style pump/motors there was one '89/90 style in a Cadillac marked 03/17 so it just came in. Car was a non runner which if it isn't a "hit" car is my favorite car to buy parts from [don't need engine/tranny parts].

Couldn't try it in the yard but had a jumper lead and tried it at the counter. Works and is now in my basement...

My 88 has a hose.  Vin is 1G4EC11C1JB901584

I purchased one of these sets.  Sending check today.

You have one of the earlier ones. Does yours have the dark horn button?

I got mine from Spinning Wheels in about 3 weeks.  I was on a waiting list until they got a new shipment.  The instructions stated that you could use JB Weld to put a nut on top of the ball.  I used a rubber strap wrench instead.

Good communications with them during the process.

Since you have a new accumulator would you mind doing the tests below and posting your results? I'm going to test mine soon and it would be great to be able to compare my results with a 7 year old accumulator with your car with a new accumulator. I had an episode with my brakes not working right last summer after having to ride them for a long time in traffic. I'm thinking I might be needing a new accumulator.

Test 1: Start car, wait a few seconds after brake lights go out for pump to run and stop. Count the number of full pedal pumps it takes to turn on the yellow and red lights. How many pumps____?

Test 2: Climate control and radio off. Wait for lights out, then a few seconds for pump to stop running, Key off. Count the number of full pedal pumps it takes till the pedal gets very hard. How many pumps____?