PCV valve replacement problem... the hose

Alchemy333

20 hours ago, Alchemy333 said:

I've swapped 3 crank sensors now, and every time it takes me about 5 or 6 adjustments to get it just right or it rubs and squeaks... even though I can visually see the gap is fine. Today, I adjusted it from squeaking and I had a no start situation.

Something is wrong if you are hearing squeaking coming from the crank position sensor. Can you see where the metal shutter ring has been hitting the sensors you have been replacing? If so one of the shutter rings on the HB might be bent.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Something is wrong if you are hearing squeaking coming from the crank position sensor. Can you see where the metal shutter ring has been hitting the sensors you have been replacing? If so one of the shutter rings on the HB might be bent.

I will inspect it more thoroughly when I remove it again. Im pretty sure I picked it up at Oriellys and its under warranty. A friend of mine suggested I coat it in this blue stuff that would rub off where/if it is rubbing. But, if its coming off again... its being exchanged. Im just wondering if this sounds like it could be the misfire issue... cuz im pretty sick of swapping parts. Ill pick up a fuel guage while I'm out too. I just don't sense a fuel issue though. 

Edited by Alchemy333

I guess I never took better images of the crank sensor but I discovered this slant to the fingers of the sensor by accident. All sensors seem to be this way. It makes visually lining up the gap more difficult because the appearance changes depending on how you look at it. I found it really helps the view if that little shock bracket on the front of the later models is moved out of the way.  A new balancer could have a bent shutter wheel from shipping and I also had a shutter wheel come loose on the new balancer for my s/c engine. Most are riveted in place but this one had screws, which backed out causing a rattle. Luckily that was caught before any real damage was done. Good luck

FE2AAF6C-D31E-44D3-B8E5-ABB30EC539C8.jpeg.14d50bc9f688ba3bca6738d71a71ec15.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I

Thanks for the clarification, yall are the best!

I just purchased a NOS GM harmonic balancer with part # 88959267 that is correct for 88-90 Reatta vin c motors. I also own the specific adjustment tool for adjusting gap on sensor. It also checks the rings on balancer as well. It is Kent Moore J-37089. It's gonna be a couple weeks before I use it. I might be willing to mail you the tool for your use and ship back to me if this can help you?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is the method I used to align the sensor on mine. With the pinch screw loose enough to move the sensor, slide the balancer on and get the shutter ring started in the card as deep as you can without forcing it. Tighten the sensor pinch screw. Pull the balancer back enough to remove the card and then slide it back on. Visually check the sensor clearance. Tighten the balancer bolt and do a final visual check of clearance while turning the crankshaft.

crank sensor (5)-a.JPG

crank sensor (11)-a.JPG

• Thanks 1

Ronnie is right on. The clearance on each side is only ~.015" on average and the slight angle makes it even more critical.

• Thanks 1

Im returning both the sensor and the HB. Ill pick the new ones up tomorrow. I am going to use the card method this time around and see how it goes. Thank you @1989reatta79106 for that offer. I will let you know if I'm still struggling with the install... but, should be ok... theoretically. I mean,, it is a Reatta though...lol