ABS repair help needed (listed my codes)

Alchemy333

Ran the ABS codes on my 90 Reatta finally. 22 (LF Inlet Valve), 32 (RF WSS), 48 (3 Sensors) 76 (RF WSS). All I recognize is the 2 wheel speed sensor codes. I recently replaced the pump and accumulator,, bled the whole system, and purchased new front  lines (to be installed). Ive also looked everywhere for the front WSS's and find nothing aftermarket, used or refurbished available. Any assistance on getting the coupe on the road is appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by Alchemy333

• Alchemy333 changed the title to ABS repair help needed (listed my codes)

If you go to Ebay and type in 1993 wheel speed sensors you will find a number of front leads. They have the correct plug and resistance and will work. However the mounting bolt is in the wrong place and the barrel is too long so you will have to take a piece of 1/4" lexan, drill a hole for the barrel and line up and drill a hole for the mounting bolt.

But they will work and the price is about $33.00 each with free freight. I just ordered two so I have inventory.

You will want right front or front left. Saab has separate part numbers but either front lead will work on either side of the Reatta.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

If you go to Ebay and type in 1993 wheel speed sensors you will find a number of front leads. They have the correct plug and resistance and will work. However the mounting bolt is in the wrong place and the barrel is too long so you will have to take a piece of 1/4" lexan, drill a hole for the barrel and line up and drill a hole for the mounting bolt.

But they will work and the price is about $33.00 each with free freight. I just ordered two so I have inventory.

You will want right front or front left. Saab has separate part numbers but either front lead will work on either side of the Reatta.

So... to clarify,, use 1/4 inch lexan as a spacer? And drill and tap a new bolt hole in the hub and spacer? And are the 93 speed sensors Buick or Saab? Are the lead and sensor 1 unit sold together or seperately?

I am also gonna try the remove and clean method (check/clean for rust/oxidation between hub and sensor). But, previous observations showed cracks in the lead insulation.

Also... any thoughts on the inlet valve code, or 3 sensors code? Or, is it all related to the wss?

Thanx!

Edited by Alchemy333

8 minutes ago, Alchemy333 said:

Also... any thoughts on the inlet valve code, or 3 sensors code? Or, is it all related to the wss?

ABS codes are kind of funky. After you fix the sensor codes the other codes more than likely will disappear. Also, if I remember correctly, left and right for the sensor codes are as if you were standing in front of the car looking at it.

• Agree 1

I've not done the fab work yet as this will be my first try at it. On the AACA forum a guy did it about 6 years ago and this is the process he followed. 

All the work is done on the lexan plastic piece, there is no alteration of the hub or any part on the Reatta.

I only decided to do this because I still have 3 Reattas and not enough wheel speed sensors to last the years I plan to keep them. The price on these Saab leads have dropped as well to warrant a "throwaway" attempt.

• Like 1

If anyone does the conversion that requires making a lexan adapter  for installing the Saab or Cadillac leads it would be great if you would take lots of photos so I can do a How-to guide on how it's done.

• Like 1

Just bought one also just to see. If cable/connector is right that is a grape buy. That said a hall sensor is pretty much a hall sensor so if diameter is right should be home free.

BTW on eBay I always look for "free shipping" and "ships from US".

ps "3 sold in last 24 hours" - two for you and one for me ?

Edited by Padgett
  • Like 1

Two for me and one for you sounds about right.

Just spit balling here, I think the way to go is take a piece of 1/4" lexan and trim the lexan to fit the mounting area of the sensor area on the Reatta. Then drill the and barrel hole and the mounting bolt hole in the lexan. Put a high strength adhesive on the sensor and mount the sensor on the lexan. Allow to dry and then install.

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Two for me and one for you sounds about right.

Just spit balling here, I think the way to go is take a piece of 1/4" lexan and trim the lexan to fit the mounting area of the sensor area on the Reatta. Then drill the and barrel hole and the mounting bolt hole in the lexan. Put a high strength adhesive on the sensor and mount the sensor on the lexan. Allow to dry and then install.

Are you able to post a link for the part. Ive tried searching... but, so many options pop up. I'll give it a go. I'll try it on one side, then make a video as I repeat it for the other. Thanx.

26 minutes ago, 2seater said:

Thanks to you all I ordered two as well. 

I've, got two used ones in stock thanks to Dave. If they go bad I guess I will have a piece of black tape over the ABS light like I do in my old GMC truck. 🙂  I do like that ABS my Reatta has. It saved my ass at least twice that I can remember when a dear ran out in from of me. 

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

I've, got two used ones in stock thanks to Dave. If they go bad I guess I will have a piece of black tape over the ABS light like I do in my old GMC truck. 🙂  I do like that ABS my Reatta has. It saved my ass at least twice that I can remember when a dear ran out in from of me. 

You've got two in back stock? I didn't think you had that many. I have 4 reconditioned ones plus the two Saab ones I just ordered should keep me in business for a long time.  I have been watching the prices on the Saab leads and they have fluctuated quite a bit. I have seen them as high as $100.00 each and now are available at $31.00 each. The last price on Reatta leads were close to $150.00 each.

That "dear" that ran out in front of you, wasn't your wife was it?   lol

• Haha 1

I have one rear sensor and one front sensor. After thinking about it, I've got one that you sent me, and one I got from the old man in Spring City who gave it to me for replacing his accumulator for him. He had purchased it from Marck and no longer needed it since he was selling his Reatta. Although I wasn't charging him anything, he wanted to give me the wheel sensor for fixing his brakes.

We spell deer differently here in the south. lol

• Haha 1

Dunno how many I have, "enough" suppose. Know I have one Cadillac with the longer barrel.

33 minutes ago, Padgett said:

Dunno how many I have, "enough" suppose. Know I have one Cadillac with the longer barrel.

I know that as I sent it to you because I didn't think of a spacer. my loss your gain.

If this has already been mentioned, then please disregard:

88 thru 90 E platform: front wheel speed sensor's part # 1648453; rear wheel speed sensor's part # 1646478

Edited by ship
  • Like 1

Contacted AIP with part number, mentioned like the SAAB but a shorter barrel. Will see what happens.

• Agree 1