Reviving my '88

CarrieJT

Finally got fuel pump parts in. I'm about to drop the tank and had one or two last questions:

1. Is there an inertia switch that may be bad?

2. If key is on, should any of the plug to the pump in the tank have any power? If no power to the plug in then my issue may be electrical?

Pump probably needs changing anyway. I just want it to work when it get it back in. Any ideas are helpful...as I got mixed info about an inertia switch online. ( I presume there isn't one since nobody could tell me where it is)

There is no inertia switch.

When you turn the key to the RUN position the pump only runs a few seconds to prime the system and then cuts off until the engine starts. To test the plug at the tank to make sure it is getting power, use a jumper wire to connect 12 volts from the battery to the green prime/test connector under the hood. As long as there is 12 volts connected to the green connector there should be 12 volts at the tank.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Ronnie said:

There is no inertia switch.

When you turn the key to the RUN position the pump only runs a few seconds to prime the system and then cuts off until the engine starts. To test the plug at the tank to make sure it is getting power, use a jumper wire to connect 12 volts from the battery to the green prime/test connector under the hood. As long as there is 12 volts connected to the green connector there should be 12 volts at the tank.

Ok. Good and thank you. Now do the fuel lines disconnect at the tank after it is down or do I disconnect at the siderail?

Also, I thought tank was empty..turns out it's quite fullish. I tried to siphon but the hose hits something about 18-24" in and I can't go past there. Aminhitting the pump? Hose is dry, but the tank sure isn't! 😲 I'm using a 3/8id hose. Been all day on this . Gonna step away a moment.

Dug out my manual . Apparently there is a baffle on the tank so I guess that's what I'm hitting. I've used hose down to 3/8 and still can't get past it, at 24-30inches into it. Thoughts?

Jack the car up to get the tank as high as possible. Leave the gas cap off. Disconnect the fuel line at the frame (see photo) Connect a hose to the fuel line. The hose will have to fit the fuel line tightly so no air can get in. Then you can use the hose to siphon the gas out of the tank. Let gravity do the work.

SAM_4365.JPG

• Thanks 1

BTW, your situation is the reason I paid someone to replace my pump. Anytime you are playing in gasoline you are playing with fire. Having the right tools to do the job makes it a lot easier and a lot safer. Not only did they have a lift to put the car on, they had a big jack to lift the tank. It probably would have taken me most of a day, or more, to do it laying on my back. These guys did it in about an hour and a half and that included them taking the time to eat a Hardee's biscuit. 🙂 

IMG_20211018_101239242~2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I have a medium rise scissors lift but last time I dropped a tank it was with jackstands (have lots) and a racing jack with a length of 1x8 onnit.

• Like 1

IMG_20221008_175414220.thumb.jpg.6778ae04160ce04a684a65db86cf3a8f.jpg

Update. Finally got tank out. Rats chewed some wire plastic so I guess taping them is best fix? (Pics to follow).

Also, I took pics of the ring after I removed pump. I can blow air right thru it...which explains the dust I saw in the gas I dumped out. Any ideas on what to seal this with?

Also took pics of baffle inside tank in case anyone is curious. I see mine is broken somehow... 

IMG_20221008_175609141_HDR.thumb.jpg.79370256679e8f3f7ee97c7c54cae4bb.jpg

And finally, a pic of the o-ring seal...looks a little rough!!  I'll have to order one since it didn't come with my pump.IMG_20221008_175701621_HDR.thumb.jpg.548ed291cc7fd70567de795774288d35.jpg

IMG_20221008_175248232_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221008_175258281_HDR.jpg

I tried to edit your post so the text matches the photos. Hope I didn't screw it up.

Handle that fuel gauge sending unit carefully. They are easily damaged and they don't make them anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Padgett said:

But Dorman makes one that sorta/kinda fits.

Dorman's fits perfectly bu on my pump it is off 4 gallons. Which means when it show empty I still have 4 gallons left.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Dorman's fits perfectly

Would the sending unit interchange with the one on a old pump assembly?

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Would the sending unit interchange with the one on a old pump assembly?

No idea. I took the sending unit into the shop that couldn't get one and they installed it with a new fuel pump.

• Thanks 1

Got new pump in. Carter. I have them in my jeeps.

Now, do I need to caulk or something around the ring where it meets the tank? My picture was trying to show I can blow air and debris out thru it.

Edited by CarrieJT

Which pump (part number) did you use please ? Isn't Carter owned by Moroso now ?

I always recommended AC Delco/Delphi pumps but are made in China now.

1 hour ago, CarrieJT said:

Got new pump in. Carter. I have them in my jeeps.

Now, do I need to caulk or something around the ring where it meets the tank? My picture was trying to show I can blow air and debris out thru it.

Delphi FE0039 pump I used came with the o-rings to seal the assembly to the tank. No caulk or sealer needed.

61kypecR9oL._AC_SL1424_.jpg

Today I open the box with the new fuel pump in it and it says it is for on-line use.  

¿Does anyone know if I can still use it in the tank?...without blowing up?

Be sure you use the short hose that should have came with your new pump (shown in my last photo. The rusty pulsator shown in your photo should be replaced with the hose.  Get the hose clamps tight but don't cut the hose.

3 minutes ago, CarrieJT said:

Today I open the box with the new fuel pump in it and it says it is for on-line use.  

¿Does anyone know if I can still use it in the tank?...without blowing up?

I don't think so. What is the part number?

Well the Carter website says it is for the In tank application. Instructions say in line. So go figure.  Carter part#P90014. So away we go!!!