Options for replacing rear struts needed.

lukehemstreet

8 hours ago, Padgett said:

I'd probably just buy a lathe (though prefer a mill).

Great, my problem is finding a weldable nut to old strut housing that is m51x1.5 , I know koni sells multiple sizes gland nuts, I've been trying to use what monroe sells(figure cheaps route) come to find out old stock isn't as fresh aka flat strut... once I use this car as reliable car I will switch over to Koni since monroe will not support our car.

It's been a ride to find solutions to this but I rely do believe KONI  is the solution. Not a a paided thing,  real believer in supporting who support use...

4 hours ago, Sam car said:

It's been a ride to find solutions to this but I rely do believe KONI  is the solution.

After you perfect a a way to rebuild the shocks, I hope you offer them for sale as a unit or offer a service where Reatta owners can send you their old shocks and you will rebuild them. I'm thankful that you are taking on this problem and determined to find a solution. 

• Agree 1

And are a like number of Allante, Riviera, and Toronado (and maybe Volvo) owners who need the same thing. The market might be surprising.

• Agree 1

I have a pair of Riviera rear air shocks/struts and a pair of Reatta rear struts. I think the Riviera struts look a lot more heavier duty.

I also have a single Riviera rear shock/strut and a single Reatta rear strut I'm not sure what I'm going to do with. Not sure I want to use them as a pair in the same car. Any thoughts?

8 hours ago, Padgett said:

And are a like number of Allante, Riviera, and Toronado (and maybe Volvo) owners who need the same thing. The market might be surprising.

I promise I will share!! I just want to make sure that people that loves there cars there are options!!

19 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

I have a pair of Riviera rear air shocks/struts and a pair of Reatta rear struts. I think the Riviera struts look a lot more heavier duty.

I also have a single Riviera rear shock/strut and a single Reatta rear strut I'm not sure what I'm going to do with. Not sure I want to use them as a pair in the same car. Any thoughts?

I would position the heavier Riviera rear shock at the driver's side where most of the weight would normally be.

• Like 1

Looking  on internet today found pre order rear struts for 1988 Eldorado. I don't know if they will fit ?? 

Screenshot_20220628-164924_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220628-164909_Chrome.jpg

I would guess that they would work as the Eldo was an "E" body platform, but they seem a bit spendy. Strange the ad pictures them upside down although I guess it doesn't matter.

Zoltanb2 on the AACA forum has a pair of used rear struts. They were on his car for one week and then it was wrecked. He is looking for $300 +shipping for the pair which look brand new and are complete. He mentioned them in a thread and I PM'd him for this info.

Thank for looking for us, I don't want to ruin a good strut, I wanted to install a strut cartridge in blown out strut, my wife is warning me that I at my limit and machine cost. .. but thank you!!

On 6/25/2022 at 7:25 AM, Ronnie said:

After you perfect a a way to rebuild the shocks, I hope you offer them for sale as a unit or offer a service where Reatta owners can send you their old shocks and you will rebuild them. I'm thankful that you are taking on this problem and determined to find a solution. 

Once I take a video I feel I lived up to my promise, I will sit back from posting, I just want to give positive, trying to give my teenager example....

Update, all materials showed up yesterday.. Going to machine shop on Tuesday... Once everything is done, I will video it., I don't believe this should stress anyone out to do!!! You should be able to do locally... I just wanted to say thank you Ronnie  for being up beat!! I believe I'm holding accountable for information given but I don't tolerate people unwilling to listen.... The end of the day we all love our cars or the people who does!!! I'm still a muscle car guy that loves his childrens...updated machine shop not done with the weldable nut yet but I thought I would share where we are at. 

9396.jpeg

9406.jpeg

Edited by Sam car
Update

• 3 weeks later...

Looks great! Can you give us the contact name of the shop so we could have them made if we want? Can you tell us the price for this? Also a parts list of what to order? 

Edited by DAVES89

12 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Looks great! Can you give us the contact name of the shop so we could have them made if we want? Can you tell us the price for this? Also a parts list of what to order? 

Sorry for the delay. I bought off of Amazon uxcell M50x1.5 mm nut and took to local machinist to get the threads cut. He charged me 202.00 for 4 nuts to cut the threads, the rest I did myself. The gland nut that I posted that I used to center the nut when I welded it onto the strut body. But like I said you can buy different gland nut from Koni and use there universal strut cartridges (2 out of 4 monroe where flat out of box)and I still had to make adapter for the stem. With the Koni universal you wouldn't need that. I didn't approach them about doing the complete strut body , he charges 110 per shop hour and I'm at my spending limits on this project..But I figure he probably charge 10hours??? Just a guess.  If you want I will call him Monday???

I'm confused. Can you do a parts description in some kind of order that makes sense to a novice like me?

A drawing would help too.

Also do we cut the sway bar mounting brackets of the original strut?

Edited by DAVES89