Bob 89 will not start!

Bob T

have  89 coupe  I bought when delivered won't start said it was running when it was loaded I have been trying to get it going found security box under steering unhooked and hanging it does turn over have no fire on plugs. service engine light on steady  security light flashing. tried hooking up security box  the same no spark. what do I need to check?

Welcome to the forum Bob. I would check for computer trouble codes. Instructions for doing that are HERE. Report back here with any codes you find.  Could you post a photo of the box that is hanging down so we can see what we are working with?

I have tried several times It won't let me into the self diagnostic program.  also the theft debutant system will only control starter and that works and spins engine. I will give you a picture of the box.

here is the box . my main concern is to get it running so i can get it in my shop

DSC00811.JPG

The module in your photo doesn't look like one that I recognize. I think it might be aftermarket.

Dave could be right . The problem might be the crank position sensor.

Here is a link to troubleshooting the Ignition Control Module: ICM & Crank Position Sensor Troubleshooting

The test you need to do first is to find out if 12 volt power is getting to the ICM. If it is getting power to that Pink wire with a Black stripe  going too the ICM, the problem is probably not the theft deterrent system.

If there is No power on the Pink wire with a Black stripe, you might be able to jumper power to that wire and see of the engine will run long enough to get the car to the garage. Be sure to check all fuses.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Test for power going to the ICM

• Make sure the key is in the OFF position.
  • Pierce the first wire [P] on the left side of the ICM connector (Pink/Black stripe).
  • Set multimeter to 50 volt DC range.
  • Connect multimeter Red + lead to the wire (Pink/Black stripe) and the Black - lead to ground.
  • Turn the key to the Run position but DO NOT try to start.

You should read 12 volts DC.

Do you read 12 volts?
YES - Continue to TEST 3.
NO  -  Check wiring and fuse #8 (CCCI, a 15 amp fuse) located in the center console. Then repeat TEST 2.

cpstutorial-1.jpg

Triage is good. Spray some starting fluid in the intake. Crank. If nothing happens then is ignition. Does the dash light up properly ?

BTW if could read logo on box it would help.

Edited by Padgett

did test provided pass test 1    2 I had 4 volts so no pass  should have 10+ v so looks like crank sensor. yes that box is after market  thank you

Avital makes aftermarket remote start systems. Might be better off removing it.

21 minutes ago, rogold said:

Avital makes aftermarket remote start systems. Might be better off removing it.

I had one installed in a '99 Eldorado many years ago.  It ended up with nothing but trouble after a while.  I had it pulled.