Dave's Winter 88 Behaving Badly

2seater

2seater you could of had the car for the price of a crank sensor. The old one was so loose I could slide it from one end of the track to the other [after I got the Harmonic Balancer off]. After I got done replacing the sensor I turned the key and fired right up and idles great. Taking it out for a spin right now and will give everyone an update as to how it runs.

• Like 2

I think it is good news overall. 👍

Turns out we were all circling around and pinpointing the culprit but sure didn’t expect a loose sensor. The erratic behavior makes sense now. 

Just got back from Kendall's as I wanted him to check my work and verify that I had the balancer bolt tight enough and to check the wires in the big harness at the back of the engine at the firewall. He said that the wires were not hard [which he says is a sign of melted wires] and the balancer bolt was not quite tight enough [we put a longer breaker bar on it]. He then gave me a thumbs up and off I went home.

I did have a bit of excitement on my way over to his house. There was a State Patrol officer taking radar on the on ramp I used. He never noticed that I had taken the plates off as I thought I was getting rid of the car. So as soon as I got home I put them back on.

This car now fires up right away, idles great and is very responsive on the highway. I have to say I got my car back and am no longer interested in letting it go.

Sorry 2seater!

Also one other thing. I used a business card as my spacer gauge. I couldn't find my feeler gauge...

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like you might have it fixed. It's good that you have Kendall and 2seater nearby to help you out when you need it.

Thanks Ronnie! And the weather cooperated. It was about 15 degrees, light wind and cloudy but no snow. Used a halogen bulb [in a fixture] to keep my hands somewhat warm as well as supplying light, and laid on cardboard in my driveway [no snow]. The house blocked what little wind there was.

Warmer then pulling parts at Gibson's!

Edited by DAVES89
  • Agree 1

But today I checked my cruise and it didn't work. So out to Gibson's for the little round vacuum knob that the 3 hoses run to. It got melted from that little fire I had. So on with the knob and a quick check of the vacuum hoses to be sure there is no holes and off for a road test. I'm sure that is it... 

That was it. I now have cruise and so far there are no other aftereffects from my little "Carbeque"...

• Like 2

It's now been a week and we have had subzero temperatures and the Black sits outside. Starts right up and runs great. Still seems a bit harder on gas, but I do idle it more as I want it to warm up before driving it. Also have been doing some hard acceleration to see if there is any kicking or bucking [there isn't]. 

I know I was "done" with the car, but I am not. I actually think so much about the car that I bought a set of struts [front and back] and will hopefully get them installed soon. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I did a search on "Harmonic Balancer" with "DAVES89" as the author and it turns out that the bracket holding the crank sensor has a propensity to come loose as I dealt with in back in December of 2020. It was loose then and caused the sensor to slide in the bracket. Looks like it will be something to watch.