89 randomly sputters and dies

jonnylocke

In terms of the EO42, the ECM puts the car in default spark mode and runs the engine on four cylinders. I had an intermittent EO42 which became persistent. Ultimately the issue was  solved by splicing in a new 14 pin connector and length of wires. For good measure I  moved all the wires away from the lower radiator hose. The stalling and idle are  most likely a separate problem.

• 1 month later...

Hello all, update time again! 

I apologize for the sporadic frequency of these updates.

A few weeks ago, I was driving to work and the car died at a light and would not start back. I would try to crank it for 10 seconds, shut the key off, wait about 20 seconds, then try again, and only had ignition at all maybe twice in a 30 minute period, with the car dying right after it would start. This eventually killed the battery and I had to have a coworker help me push it out of the road.

A day later, I dropped it off at a highly recommended mechanic near my house. They drove it for a week, tried everything they could think, and could never ID the problem. I gave them a sheet with all the things I had tried and several of the suggestions on this forum, but no dice. They recommended me to a local automotive electrician.

I took it there as soon as they had an opening, explained the issue, gave them the sheet, and about 24 hours later, they called me and said they had identified the issue. I was shocked.

The electrician claimed the "Air flow meter" would spontaneously "wig out", sending weird voltage to the "PCM", which caused it to shut off the injectors.

Today I got my car back from them and drove it the ~8 miles home, having to stop at 5 traffic lights and a couple stop signs and there was no stuttering or shutting off! It felt like I lightly noticed the microstutter I mentioned before, but honestly could have been in my mind or small road bumps.

I got it home and popped the hood to see what I know as the Mass Airflow Sensor has been replaced (photo attached). This makes me a little nervous, as Ronnie and 2seater had previously mentioned the MAF and unplugging it resulted in no change in behavior besides a code.

Here's hoping it is fixed! I will update if it isn't. I'll also post an update if it has no issues for a week or two!

20220330_125620.jpg

Thanks for letting us know. If I have learned anything over the last few decades it is the glitches that are encountered seem to have new variants, much like the Covid situation. That is a rather peculiar looking MAF sensor? No numbers or markings or rebuild stickers, most unusual. If it gives any additional bobbles, I am betting the crank sensor or a wiring fault between it and the ECM or ICM

Hope you have it fixed. But here is my "soap box" speech. One has to remember that all the Reattas are now at least 31 years old. One has to have known good working back up parts. They would be [but not limited to] MAF Sensor, Ignition Module/Coil Pack, Oxygen Sensor, Crank Sensor. 

Combined cost for those parts used MAF Sensor, Ignition Module/Coil Pack, and new crank sensor, oxygen sensor is less then $200.00. Far less then a tow charge, diagnostic charge, repair charge and loss of confidence in your Reatta.

A number of us have been "helping" for 15 years or more and we know that these are the parts that fail. Please everyone consider getting extra parts, it's called investing in yourself.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

<rant> Older computer cars (GM started in 1981) need proper instrumentation. This means the ability to monitor many different things at once. Moates.net has everything you need. The only essential thing you cannot monitor on a computer is the rail fuel pressure, that takes a gauge. The display below is also being logged for later review.</rant>aldldisplay.jpg.810ddc2a88599ce94a223f0d63cb7110.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I went out of town for a trip and it died 3 times, exactly as it did before. It's back at the electricians', they monitored everything again and said the MAF issue is resolved, but the "engine computer" is still spontaneously telling the injectors to turn off. Taking one of our ECMs to them to replace.

You mean "it is not telling the injectors to fire". BTW the "Engine Computer" is called the Engine Control Module (ECM) by GM. BTW the ICM (Ignition Contol Module) sends an RPM based signals to the ECM telling the injectors when to fire. The length of time the injectors fire (pulse width modulation) is determined by other sensors like the MAF (Mass Air Flow Meter). Does the tach jump when the injectors stop ? ED01 is the throttle position sensor (TPS) - if the TPS drops to zero the engine will stall, ED06 is the injector pulse width. Is either jumping around when the engine falters ? There is no substitute for proper information. Otherwise you are just throwing parts and money at it.

• Agree 1