Hard start/ long crank

Schawya1

Im new here and I have been lurking for a while reading and learning all I can. I bought my 1989 buick reatta about a year ago and it ran and started perfectly good. That was until i dieced it was a good idea to change the intake gasket. after replacing that it takes forever to try and start. I have to keep cranking a long time, keying the car on and off a few times doesn't help either, it has good fuel pressure and holds as well. When it finally does start to start it stumbles and then runs and drives perfect after that. Does anyone have any ideas? 

Have you tried spraying some starting fluid in the air intake when its cold to see if it fires up right away? If it does fire up its a fuel issue. If it doesn't fire up then its probably an ignition system problem.

• Like 1

I shall try that tomorrow after I get out of work, If that does help where would you recommend starting? And if it doesn't where would I start? I want to drive it before it hits winter but I have just been putting off trying to fix it because its discouraging 

I suspect it will start right up with the starting fluid. If it does you should check fuel pressure again. Should be around 45psi, 50 with the vacuum hose unplugged from the fuel pressure regulator (engine running). Also check that all the vacuum hoses were reconnected after the intake gasket was replaced.If its an ignition problem, check that all the sensors are plugged in good and check the onboard computer for any engine codes

Edited by rogold
  • Like 1

You got it! Ill have to rent a fuel pressure tester again but I can for sure try and start it with the starting fluid tomorrow so I will keep you posted And I will check all the vacuum lines again to make sure and as of right now there has been no codes that have came up

I know this may sound odd, but I just encountered the same scenario with my sons car; perfect fuel pressure, a new pump in fact, but extremely long crank first time of the day, usually good after that while in use. Go to diagnostic screen, ECM Data: ED01, throttle position sensor. It should show .38-.42 volts at idle position, engine can be off and key on for this check. Costs nothing to check except a little time, just to rule it out.

The replacing intake gaskets and then trouble arises sounds like something when wrong, vacuum leak maybe? 

Edited by 2seater
  • Like 2

I agree with you 2seater about a possible intake vacuum leak, but Schawya1 says it runs and drives great after it does start, which may rule out a big vacuum leak. Sounds to me more like the fuel rail is instantly loosing all pressure once the car is shut off, like a injector stuck open or a bad pressure regulator. Thats one thing that should be checked, how fast is it loosing pressure once the key is turned off.

• Like 1

Always look the last place you worked first. Does sound like a vacuum hose off, fuel regulator maybe ? TPS out of adjustment (.38-.42v at idle...)

• Like 2

Well rogold I got some starting fluid and gave it a small squirt and it started right up! I also checked the vaccume lines all appear to be plugged in I also checked the tps and it's at .36 volts at idle, I also sprayed around the intake and I did not hear or see a change in idle. I also pulled the vaccume line to the pressure regulator and there was no fuel, but I did hook a vaccume pump to it and it slowly lost vaccume, could that be it? Also after letting it sit for about 40 minutes after spraying it would start right up but I'll wait a few hours and check to see if it does it again 

If the fuel pressure regulator wont hold vacuum thats a good sign its bad. I just changed mine a few weeks ago for not holding pressure. Pretty sure mine was the original 32 year old Bosch, which are hard to find now.

Edited by rogold
  • Agree 1

.36v is just a tad low although I wouldn't expect that to be a big issue. Does it increase and decrease smoothly with throttle application and 0ver 4v at full throttle? I would adjust it to the correct range even if not causing an issue.

What brand regulator should I get then? I see some cheap ones that look tempting or should I get a Delco? And 2seater do I just do the override in the ecm data? To change the tps?

Just now, Schawya1 said:

What brand regulator should I get then? I see some cheap ones that look tempting or should I get a Delco? And 2seater do I just do the override in the ecm data? To change the tps?

For the TPS you have to loosen the screws just enough so that you can move the TPS and then rotate it just slightly until it reads 0.38V - 0.42V then tighten the screws back down.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Of the choices that Rock Auto has, I would probably go with the ACDelco fuel pressure regulator if it were me.

• Like 1

Thank you philbo and rogold! I will get that ordered and let you guys now if it fixed my problem, fingers crossed! Can't thank you guys enough for the help!

• Like 1

Oh also on the TPS, I find the original phillips head screws kind of a pain so I actually replaced mine with some small bolts that I could get a wrench on.  At least on my 1990 the size bolt was m4-.7 x25mm.  You would need new lock washers and washers too because the originals are permanently affixed to the screws.  Not a necessary step but I found it to make things easier when trying to adjust the sensor.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Philbo said:

Oh also on the TPS, I find the original phillips head screws kind of a pain so I actually replaced mine with some small bolts that I could get a wrench on.  At least on my 1990 the size bolt was m4-.7 x25mm.  You would need new lock washers and washers too because the originals are permanently affixed to the screws.  Not a necessary step but I found it to make things easier when trying to adjust the sensor.

Interesting idea, and a good one. On the flip side, not something that needs to be done often, which is a blessing. 

Well guys I got the new regulator and installed it, and after priming the fuel system and trying to start it, It fired right up! after I let it run for a few minuets I shut it off and came back and hour later and it fired right back up! I guess it was just a random coincidence the the regulator went bad after changing that gasket. I thank everyone who gave their ideas and thoughts on what could be wrong! Now I just need to wait for the gas that got everywhere to evaporate so I don't feel like I would set the car on fire 😂

• Like 1

Was the fuel pressure low before you changed the regulator? Glad you got it running......