Reatta service manuals in digital format

Philbo

26 minutes ago, Padgett said:

ps Just found this & wonder how good it is. Sounds like a .pdf you download. Has anyone used ?

Hmm this looks really interesting.  They have several different things on there but I wonder what is different between the "service and repair manual" and the "Workshop repair and sevice manual" :classic_dry:

Screenshot_2021-09-20-09-27-36.png

I took the plunge on the $15 one but won't get to look at it until tonight.  I'll let you all know what it's about.

Great. We used to have the Reatta service and parts manuals posted online with GM's permission but they lawyered us out of that.

14 minutes ago, Padgett said:

Great. We used to have the Reatta service and parts manuals posted online with GM's permission but they lawyered us out of that.

That's a real shame :/  I don't understand why.

I understand why. Helm had the license for service manuals and complained to GM. Just about control. If a .pdf is now available that would be great. Am a little concerned about one volume for all Reattas.

BTW the emanual site is really vaugue about the format, they seem to have both .ova (VMWare) and .pdf formats. I suspect for $15 you get an .ova and for $26 it is a .pdf. Have sent an e-mail to ask about the difference between the products.

Note: the $26 one contains the line "Requirements: Adobe Reader and Win they are free online." and the $14 one does not. Be interesting to see what you receive.

ps just got a reply from eManual. They want to know my engine size.

Edited by Padgett

@Padgett yeah I already have the physical copy of the 1990 so buying more for curiosity.  I will let you know when I can get home and download it onto my home computer.  It's over 7 GB so fairly large file.

I have some concerns about that. Bet it is either compressed (.zip or .rar) or the 7GB is online and you just get a Open Virtual Applince (.OVA) VM access box. Also a GM FSM in .pdf form (from Bishko) is a few hundred MB so not sure what they are talking about. Guess we will find out tonight.

Agree, our originals were scanned and not searchable. My Allante manuals are searchable.

ps, just got a reply from eManuals and is as I thought "$26.99 manual covers the 1988-1991 in PDF, the other is in OVA format and covers 1998-2010 models." other than being generally clueless about Reattae that makes sense.

And the latest: I keep getting a "20% off" popup which I select but is never in the checkout basket. Wonderful. At least they do reply quickly.

Edited by Padgett

OK spent the $26.99 and downloaded an uncompressed 27.41 MB .pdf with 982 pages (promised a 20% rebate, will just see). It is not a factory service manual,seems more like an XL Haynes manual, but does have wiring diagrams and is searchable. Does not seem to have a section 8. But does talk about a few EDs and BDs but no ED above 12. Does have a trouble code diagnosis section but no overrides. Still something you cold have on a cell phone or tablet when on the road.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Padgett said:

or the 7GB is online and you just get a Open Virtual Applince (.OVA) VM access box.

Yep that is exactly what it is.  It is a bit misleading because as far a service manuals go, it is in fact from 1998-2010, so no Reatta manual.  However it looks like it gets you access to the repair manuals for any GM vehicle in that timeframe (at least the couple I searched for).  You have to install virtual box and open it with that like a virtual machine (literally a virtual Windows XP machine).  There is a lot of stuff on there.

The only thing that is on there for the Reatta, and probably the reason it was listed with the other Reatta manuals, is it has all of the technical service bulletins for the Reattas, and many other cars going back quite a ways.

Here are some screenshots to give you an idea.

Virtual Box showing the manual VM

Vbox.JPG.b57802392afbf98184e41ba7f29ced28.JPG

Home page

399256288_HomePage.thumb.JPG.643091a8add5eb82831906dfe5a3aede.JPG

Reatta technical service bulletins

1109072007_TechnicalServiceBulletins.thumb.JPG.3c1ac11ec5d1eb54dc3f2df18ffedc17.JPG

Manual for a 2000 GMC Sierra (just picked something randomly)

2016688408_SierraManual.thumb.JPG.840a21e79dfe8a7522a3918e0442ebe0.JPG

Unfortunately not what I expected or hoped for, but I learned some things lol.

Like I said, I bought mostly out of curiosity.

On a side note about searchability, I'm not sure how familiar you all are with Microsoft One Note, but in MS One Note text inside images is searchable.  You could theoretically scan the factory manual to a One Note and be able to search all the text.  It's kind of scary how good it is too.  The search function will even pick up words in a photo of my handwriting.

Could a .pdf of scanned images be converted to a One Note file and made to be searchable? I don't have one note and never used it.

38 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Could a .pdf of scanned images be converted to a One Note file and made to be searchable? I don't have one note and never used it.

You can "print to one note" from almost any sort of file including PDF.  Also One note is free to use now I believe.

• Thanks 1

What I received for another $13 is discussed above, a searchable Manual but not a factory service manual. Mostly like a Haynes.

Fortunately I bought the TSBs decades ago.

buicktsb.jpg.e335a89212e8271647b3517310d0e203.jpg

• Thanks 1

BTW, looking at the OVA screenshots that sure looks like the GM Service DVD which does run under VMWare. One including my CTS  takes up 11 GB  and does just have Reatta bulletins. Hope it is easier to navigate.

The .pdf is not much different and includes bits and pieces from many places. This may give you a hint. I find no mention of copyrights and the web server is in the Netherlands. Probably useful if have nothing else. Wish Bishko would issue some Reatta CDs. Maybe if enough people ask... See here - email for requests is at top.models.jpg.8646f30f34adeaa3373b0ca5a49818e0.jpg

OK, found One Note. Ran on a scanned .pdf. Created a .prn file and can't find anything that will open it. What's the crib ?

32 minutes ago, Padgett said:

OK, found One Note. Ran on a scanned .pdf. Created a .prn file and can't find anything that will open it. What's the crib ?

Hmm I've never had to deal with a .prn file.  It should be that if you have OneNote installed you should have the option to "print to onenote."  It should then come up with a popup asking where in your notebook you wish to put it.

Let me try and see. I do it all the time at work, but have not with my personal onenote in a long time.

Sorry I have One Note. I have it print a document to a file. This creates a file with a .PRN extension that nothing can open. Preamble is: "PK 1‰5S               [Content_Types].xml/[0].pieceŒÁ" but is not an XML file.

7 minutes ago, Padgett said:

Sorry I have One Note. I have it print a document to a file. This creates a file with a .PRN extension that nothing can open. Preamble is: "PK 1‰5S               [Content_Types].xml/[0].pieceŒÁ" but is not an XML file.

That is odd. Which version of OneNote are you running?  There should be an option to print to OneNote, not print to file.  Here are screenshots of what I am talking about:

Print to OneNote option from Adobe:

720324837_Printtoonenote.png.5db03fafb36302b3000e823591b260b6.png

Popup that comes up in One Note asking for location:

724448352_OneNoteLoc.JPG.a20af8e9bd8796c200c881e810e80bdd.JPG

Ok not sure why I am having so much trouble with this.  Typical Microsoft, has really good features surrounded by inexplainable complications.

Complication 1, I figured out that not all OneNote versions are created equal.  It appears that the phone app as well as the basic OneNote App that comes pre-installed on Windows 10 machines (named "OneNote for Windows 10") appear to not have the functionality to search text within images.  You have to use the Full version of OneNote, which I believe is still free and can be downloaded here. It is titled just "One Note"

Screenshot of the difference:

623215237_rightOneNote.png.6d1451c2ac081ec883878eff35fab2fd.png

Complication 2,  I know I use this all the time at work with no issues, but when I tried on my personal machine, no dice.  I figured out you have to right click on an image and manually set it to be searchable: 

55571028_SettingImagetobesearchable.png.78e1a1f17ddf3483b27a93ec30cbc00c.png

Such a pain :classic_rolleyes:

There is probably a setting buried deep in some options menu to have that on by default.  Typical Microsoft in my experience.

Once you do that though, a scanned image will be searchable:

Search.thumb.png.0b4099c70d2ae4843722fe3339c41799.png

I tested on a printout of 2Seater's article on bubble flares :classic_laugh: