rolling idle and surgeing while driving

david scitern

I have seen that in the manual and while it may be true, the ECM seems to have a pretty wide range of input it can handle. Many of us have changed just the sensor itself over decades of use with good results. As far as I know from a pretty reliable source, the display numbers in grams per second are actually just made up numbers. Not that they have no relationship to reality, just that they are created from indirect inputs. As mentioned, I am using a MAF with much greater flow capacity relative to the sensor input to the ECM and I have not adjusted anything in the chip except injector flow capacity and part of the timing map. Well, not totally true but everything else is unrelated, such as cooling fan cut in/out, torque converter lockup point, speedometer display pulse count divider, idle speed (thanks Padgett).

• Like 2

I thought I had uploaded these before so please forgive if old news but this is what I meant by the two different MAF sensor elements: 88-90 on the left and 91 on the right. The early model will bolt right in the later housing, and it will operate, but it will leak air since it does not seal the sensor opening. 4E4BAA1C-9B3D-498C-A59A-91443B74A629.thumb.jpeg.4c42c7859ba71cd2b93e39244fb98ec3.jpeg

• Thanks 2

On 9/16/2021 at 8:54 AM, david scitern said:

got the car fixed, youll will love this!!!! i installed a reducer shim into the maf sensor air supple port, reduding it 1/16 of an inch........all problems are gone. man that car will go now, lol!

This post might explain him leaving 2seater. He doesn't need us anymore. 🙂

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Philbo said:

Probably too busy driving his fixed reatta

I hope so. I was truly curious as to what was done. I have my own ideas, and I have played with adjusting the flow through the sensor passage, although on the exit, not the entrance as implied.