Time to Walk Away

RLTherio

Even though the LN3 and its siblings were in millions of cars, the last LN3 is now 30 years old, so finding a low mile one may be an issue. Rebuilding is always an option of course. There is nothing exotic about it as long as it is treated as a Buick design and not a Chevy, plus parts are generally a little to a lot more expensive. A good time to maybe do a little upgrading and the other option is a Series I L27 up through 1995 will swap in almost directly, but will need to use the intake manifold of the LN3 to keep the EGR and some other things the same. It always depends on your interest and ability to make the repairs. I know I would have no qualms about rebuilding it if the price was very right, but I have the interest, the facility and the knowledge to do everything but the machine work myself.

• Like 1

You know, i kind of like the LN3. It's just a good solid engine.  A little easier to work on than the Series 2s IMO.  Kind of old school. Although the deepest I've ever been into an engine is head gaskets. 

That said, one of these days I am going to put a series 2 in my reatta. That will happen at some point.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Philbo said:

You know, i kind of like the LN3. It's just a good solid engine.  A little easier to work on than the Series 2s IMO.  Kind of old school. Although the deepest I've ever been into an engine is head gaskets. 

That said, one of these days I am going to put a series 2 in my reatta. That will happen at some point.

Daniel is the Series 2 guru but I don't know if he still checks in. I am sure a Series 2 could be made to run in a compatible form with our sensors. It is smaller and lighter, with a 1" lower deck height, revised valve locations, better heads with heart shaped chambers, simply a better package. I wish I had gone that direction many years ago. 

Doubt it, I still have a spare LN3/4T60 drivetrain in the back garage and things you have a spare for don't break. For more power I bought an Allante with 4.5 V8.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2seater said:

Daniel is the Series 2 guru but I don't know if he still checks in. I am sure a Series 2 could be made to run in a compatible form with our sensors. It is smaller and lighter, with a 1" lower deck height, revised valve locations, better heads with heart shaped chambers, simply a better package. I wish I had gone that direction many years ago. 

Yeah my park ave ultra has a supercharged series 2 in it. My brother and I a while ago put a smaller pulley on the SC and a flashed ECU with a more aggressive tuning in it along with a few other minor things like less restrictive airbox, different thermostat etc.  Haven't had it dyno'd but it really moves. That engine is stock at 240 hp and guessing it picked up another 20-30. To me that would be the perfect amount of power for a spruced up Reatta.  The trick would be integration because I would want to try and preserve other things like the instrument panel etc if possible.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Its been done for an '88. AFAIR we took the 94 ECM maps and put them in the 88 ECM. Hard part was the Getrag 5 speed.

• Agree 1