Time to Walk Away

RLTherio

Back in June, I found a 1990 Reatta for sale at a used auto dealer placed a deposit on it. Thanks to this forum I learned a lot especially how to access trouble codes from the electronic climate control module. It had an E041; camshaft position sensor trouble. The dealer said they would take care of it.

Last Tuesday, I paid the remainder of the cost, I was told there was a rattle in the engine and the garage that repaired the camshaft sensor problem needed to install another oil pan.

Wednesday I received a call from the dealership that the rattle turned into a bearing knock. I was given a choice of a complete refund or accepting the car as is with a five grand as well; half of the cost.

It was a Maui blue with a white convertible with just over 59,500 miles in very good condition. 

Two friends of mine that are automotive technicians told me to walk away.

The dealership will probably send the car "as is" to an auction to be sold. The car is located in southeastern New Hampshire.

86566.thumb.jpeg.6970661f2ae0452c716e07f41d60ad16.jpeg

Edited by RLTherio

Pretty unusual to have a knock on a 3800. I would take a very close look at the harmonic balancer on the front of the crank. Not uncommon to have the rubber start to fail and it sounds just like a knock deep in the engine at idle. Usually goes away if revved up. Sure way to check is remove the belt and let it idle. You can also feel the face of the balancer or get a look through the wheelwell. Darn good looking car. Sort of a head scratcher that it needed an oil pan after cam sensor repairs plus if they disassembled the front of the engine for the cam magnet, how it now has a knock???

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, RLTherio said:

What's the availability of finding a replacement harmonic balancer?

I agree with 2seater. Harmonic balancer should available at auto parts stores near you.  RockAuto and Amazon have it cheaper online. It's easy to change if you have the tools.

• Like 1

Balancer will sound worst at idle and change if you pull the belt. I can usually feel defects in the rubber. What is the oil pressure doing ? " just over 59,500 miles". Pretty good but are not selling for $10k unless from someone who knows them and with a gaurantee.  What condition is the top in ? Is the AC cold ? Both are $1,000 items. How old are tires & any good ? Dorman balancer is $70 on Amazon.

Edited by Padgett
  • Agree 1

IMO $5K for a convertible is a steal even if one has to throw in another $2K to $3K for fixes.

Edited by ship
  • Agree 1

I just finished talking to the mechanic that diagnosed the noise, he said it sounds like a bad alternator bearing rather than a bearing knock.  He also replaced the oil pan and found brass metal flakes floating in the oil.  So at this point I am going to just walk away, although I hate to part with such a beautiful piece of Buick history.

1 hour ago, RLTherio said:

I just finished talking to the mechanic that diagnosed the noise, he said it sounds like a bad alternator bearing rather than a bearing knock.  He also replaced the oil pan and found brass metal flakes floating in the oil.  So at this point I am going to just walk away, although I hate to part with such a beautiful piece of Buick history.

Your money and time of course, but as mentioned above, repair or even engine replacement would still be decent value. It is curious that these things showed up after it was worked on. I always suspect what was done last when a problem shows up that wasn't there before🤨

OTOH you are always better off to spend more for a car that needs nothing since will wind up spending the same amount over time for a cheap one and miss out on enjoyment today (particularly when the future is so uncertain). Meanwhile last car I bought was at the bottom of the foo season about this time last year. Has the market recovered ?

3 hours ago, RLTherio said:

He also replaced the oil pan and found brass metal flakes floating in the oil.  So at this point I am going to just walk away, although I hate to part with such a beautiful piece of Buick history.

Probably a good decision. It depends on your mechanical skills and willingness to do the work yourself. If you have to pay a mechanic to do the work it could get real expensive really fast if the knocking is more than just a bad harmonic balancer. If you have a garage, plenty of tools, and the time to do the work yourself, you could end up will a fairly low mileage convertible at a good price.

Such a beautiful car, What a shame some incompetent mechanic messed with it.  I have to agree with 2 seater, take the car and the discount and have a mechanic you know and trust to look it over.  These cars were practically hand built and the reliability of the 3800 is legendary.  I bought mine for just $1,600 with 160,000 miles, perfect interior and hardly any rust even though It's always been in Michigan. All it needs are new brakes and injectors.  Doing the work myself, learning a lot with the help of members here and having a great time with little cost.  Even if you had to have the engine totally rebuilt you would still be ahead of the game but I doubt that would be necessary.  These are great cars!

Well we have not seen any pictures of the undercarriage. Or the top. To me it is probably a $2500-$3k car but then have a spare 3800 sitting in the back garage.

OTOH if want to spend ten large. https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/d/saint-augustine-1991-buick-reattaone-of/7361948591.html. Amtrak autotrain is running.

Edited by Padgett

Strange but if that car needs nothing, why are there so many new parts?  Besides, that car isn't as good looking IMHO.  Regardless, buying a used car is always a crap shoot unless either you know cars or have a trusted mechanic look at it first.  I have to confess I jumped in a bit too early myself as I was impressed with it's condition and my budget is quite limited but have no regrets.  Can you believe there are actually zirk fittings in the suspension?

What's the going price for a used good replacement engine for this vehicle?

Edited by RLTherio
Update

Just a quick search my local LKQ charges about $500 for an engine without the accessories.  

I did find this business (remanufactured.com) that sells remanufactured engines or will restore yours for you.

Edited by Philbo

"C" 3800s were used in millions of cars. I bought a long block from LKQ once, great engine but got exactly that, they broke every sensor. If have an engine out, first thing to do is to replace all freeze plugs with brass, and open out the exhaust collector.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1