1989 Reatta cruise control, "nagging error" issue

reattacc

I did a refill with a different brand of refrigerant (this one's head gets a better seal to the nozzle so very little of it went wasted, didn't billow fume clouds out of the exhaust this time). I drove it around a bit and parked it and noticed a "leak" by the passenger side, front tire. I have quite a variety of pictures, but I have a handful of reasons to think this is just sweat from the vehicle. The origin point seems to be this tube near the front windshield, underneath a hard plastic cover, which drips down through the chassis, onto the bottom, and then onto the pavement. Chances are pretty high this is normal, I'm willing to bet I'll still have AC when I do errands later.

20210824_075335.jpg

20210824_075225.jpg

On 8/24/2021 at 8:05 AM, reattacc said:

Chances are pretty high this is normal, I'm willing to bet I'll still have AC when I do errands later.

So this was wrong. Seems that was the AC leaking, so it looks like the cold pipe is where the leak originates from. I'll have someone look at this later.

On 8/24/2021 at 9:05 AM, reattacc said:

The origin point seems to be this tube near the front windshield, underneath a hard plastic cover, which drips down through the chassis, onto the bottom, and then onto the pavement.

There is some condensation on the low side pipe but the main source of the water on the ground is from the evaporator. It is water that condenses and is removed from the air as it blown across the evaporator inside the Heat & A/C box (see photo) attached to the firewall. If you look at the box from underneath the car you should see a hose that the water drips out of. That is normal and should be expected when the A/C system is cooling properly. You will not see Freon leaking on the ground. When it leaks from a fitting or hose it will evaporate immediately into the atmosphere before it ever has a chance to touch the ground.

Thanks to whoever posted this photo. I think it was Barney Eaton.

evaporator_cleaning-1.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, that is with the blower module removed. Can also check the AC operation at BD27 (High side) and 28 (Low side). Will be the same when the AC is off and vary quite a bit with a good AC.

9 minutes ago, Padgett said:

Can also check the AC operation at BD27 (High side) and 28 (Low side).

I use BD28 when filling with Freon.

1 hour ago, reattacc said:

What would be a proper way to check/find the leaking freon from the pipes?

What Padgett said. Also look for oily residue around places like hose connections or other places where you might suspect a leak.