1989 Reatta cruise control, "nagging error" issue

reattacc

Crossposted;

My Reatta pops up error messages about cruise control problems constantly even though I don't use or have cruise control turned on. Even while stopped it does this. I have no idea what the problem is. Error code B671.

This issue occurs even when the car is in park. If I knew where the vacuum tubes were I could check them, but the car doesn't seem to leak. There's also a few other issues, like buttons not lighting up at night. They light up when I enter the car but once the ignition is on the lights go off.

Edited by reattacc

I continue to be impressed with the information available in the "How-To Guides" and from the FSM.  Thanks for sharing. Something else for my Reatta folder. 

• Thanks 1

For Reattacc's benefit, he should also check out the thread I started on July 31 (BCM Codes via CRT) for additional comments by Padgett and Daves89.

• Like 2

The vacuum lines appear to be normal, although if there's a more extensive check procedure I'd like to know. I checked BD-70 and the numbers that were popping up on the screen was 9<->11 at idle, and 10<->13 while driving. My vacuum lines are similar to the picture shown, although they're looping underneath some of the items in that area, rather than sitting over. I think I'll try and resolve that when I get the chance, but I doubt that seems to be the issue since the tubes seem okay.

It seems the rest of the BD70 check involves opening up the cruise control itself. I haven't done this before and I forget the name of the tool I'll need to check the coils.

My car also has an issue with the AC having a severe leak. I had a severely low refrigerant error so I recharged it with a can of r134a, then cleared the codes and the compressor kicked back on. I noticed in a parking lot during some errands that there was a pool of fluid on the ground, then the next day the error came back and clearing it didn't make the system blow cold. I'm pretty sure a tube somewhere has a hole in it. The exhaust also blew out some pretty awful white smoke with a horrid smell in the process of recharging it. I'm pretty confident that isn't normal.

So you're thinking maybe some of the Freon you put in leaked out on the ground and the rest of it blew out the exhaust pipe?

If out the exhaust then is not many places to leak in front of the intake (unless duped into a K&N thingie.

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

So you're thinking maybe some of the Freon you put in leaked out on the ground and the rest of it blew out the exhaust pipe?

Seems that way. There was a definite pool under the front and aside from that one time it's been dry underneath every other time I've checked. The smoke that came out of the pipe definitely felt pretty noxious, and it's never done that until the time I put a can in.

11 hours ago, reattacc said:

I noticed in a parking lot during some errands that there was a pool of fluid on the ground,

Was that pool of liquid near the rear of the front wheel on the passenger side of the car and look clear like water?

8 hours ago, reattacc said:

Seems that way. There was a definite pool under the front and aside from that one time it's been dry underneath every other time I've checked. The smoke that came out of the pipe definitely felt pretty noxious, and it's never done that until the time I put a can in.

They are not related. The fluid you see is "sweat" [water] off the A/C system and nothing to be concerned with. The "smell" from your tail pipe is exhaust gasses, you may be running a bit rich, but lets deal with one issue at a time.

Edited by DAVES89

I'll have to do another can at a later point to take note of where exactly the leak was. The smoke that came out was thick, like an entire cloud. I'll record it when I refill it at a later point.

28 minutes ago, reattacc said:

I'll have to do another can at a later point to take note of where exactly the leak was. The smoke that came out was thick, like an entire cloud. I'll record it when I refill it at a later point.

Check the vacuum modulator on the transaxle. Pull the vacuum hose and check for fluid being sucked into the intake. It does smell in the exhaust when that happens and will reduce the fluid level in the trans. as well. If this only happens at startup after sitting overnight, it may just be a little leakage in a valve seal which dissipates when warmed up.

Look on the drivers side. Red arrow points to the location of the modulator valve. Yours may look slightly different. Mine is an aftermarket. The original modulator is bigger.

modulator valve.jpg

It kind of looks like the water tower used in the shower scene in "100 rifles" with Raquel Welch. If you don't know you tube it.

This is what's there. To put it shortly, it's pretty big. It seems to be on pretty good and I couldn't get any wiggle out of it when I touched it. The R134a can be seen here too.

20210824_002801.jpg

There is a 10mm bolt on the underside that has to be removed. But that is it.

• Like 1

Great pictures guys. I was suggesting just pulling the vacuum hose to see if there is evidence of fluid in the hose. No need to remove the modulator itself unless fluid is found in the hose. Sorry for the unclear suggestion.

• Agree 1