Ignition Control Module

Nailhed66

In the back of my mind I'm thinking there is a separate harness that you can replace that goes to the ICM and Crank Sensor, loops down under the engine, and plugs into the main harness. Maybe 2seater or someone else knows for sure. I think changing that harness might be easier than replacing the ICM connector. Just guessing because I've never done it myself.

• Like 1

I think this might be a photo of the harness.

Thanks to whoever took this photo.

ICM Crank sensor harness.JPG

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I think this might be a photo of the harness.

Thanks to whoever took this photo.

ICM Crank sensor harness.JPG

Thanks for the photo this is very helpful. I have ordered a new 14 pin connector and wires to connect to this harness. I guess it’s a process of elimination at this point. Had I found a complete new harness, I probably would have ordered it.  Thanks for your help !

• Like 1

The 90-91 have that short harness on the front of the engine. It plugs in to the main harness on top of the engine behind the power steering pump. Earlier models are not wired this way and have no sub harness I am aware of.

Edited by 2seater
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 2seater said:

The 90-91 have that short harness on the front of the engine. It plugs in to the main harness on top of the engine behind the power steering pump. Earlier models are not wired this way and have no sub harness I am aware of.

So the photo is of the 90-91 ?  On my 88 it’s hard to see the route of the wires which appear to go down low and then come up behind the engine before going into a larger wire sleeve.  When time permits, I  will look more closely. Thanks for your reply 

I do not know 100% on the routing but on the 89 parts car, I had a cam sensor code and I found a cut wire under the radiator area that fixed the code when spliced back together. I know the big silver wrapped harness across the firewall behind the engine doesn’t exist on the later models and my suspicion is that harness carries the cam and crank sensor harness among others. It likely ducks under and then across the front back to the engine

• Like 1

This is where the ability to display engine parameters in the diagnostics is handy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Padgett said:

This is where the ability to display engine parameters in the diagnostics is handy.

I’m a bit clueless about diagnostics and engine parameters, so I’m not sure what to look for. I did get a factory service manual with very detailed instructions for troubleshooting the E042 code. The type of stuff a certified auto technician will understand, but it also says that with intermittent code issue like I’m having that a compromised wire may be the cause. Thanks for your reply 

1 hour ago, Nailhed66 said:

I’m a bit clueless about diagnostics and engine parameters, so I’m not sure what to look for.

The Reatta onboard diagnostic system is your best tool when troubleshooting your Reatta. Everything you need to know can be found here on ROJ if you take the time to learn about it. Just click on the Diagnostics menu at the top of this page.

Once  you learn how to access diagnostics I recommend learning how to check trouble codes first. Finding the trouble codes stored in diagnostics is a good starting point when you are trying to figure out a problem.

Then get to know the Diagnostics booklet listed in the diagnostics menu. It will tell you all about how to use the onboard diagnostics to read data and how to use overrides to do tests that are really helpful in figuring out a problem. Play with the onboard diagnostics all you want. You can't hurt a thing and no changes you make are permanent. When you turn the key off and back on all changes you make with overrides are gone.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Diagnostics are found in section 8D of the service manual. Are a few things you can change (options) but have to really want to.

• Like 1

Thanks to the ROJ, I am learning a lot about how the touchscreen diagnostics work and can  access /clear codes. I need to do more homework about overrides and all the crazy numbers. I feel like I have really narrowed down my current issue with y’all’s help. 

• Like 2