Ignition Control Module

Nailhed66

Any idea what the symptoms of a problematic ICM might be ?  While I wait for the factory service manual that I ordered to arrive, I’m still looking for clues about the E042 issue which is intermittent, but persistent.  It may be the 14 pin connector which appears to be ok , but it seems like removing the ICM is the only way to inspect the connection on that side. And if I have to pull it off anyway, should I just replace it ?

The first thing to look for is a gray/green gooey substance on the side of the ICM as shown in the photo below. If you see that it is a good sign of the ICM going bad. You shouldn't have to remove the ICM to remove the connector to inspect the pins.ICM-magnavox-goo.jpg

ICM_connector-88-90.jpg

Removing the male connector was no problem and it appears to be ok although very sticky. It seems like the factory ? electrical grease has melted and may have dripped on the radiator hose. Padgett had mentioned removing a pad and I can only imagine it’s on the female part of the ICM.

There is no factory grease in it. There is a potting material inside that melts and runs out due to it overheating when it goes bad. It is common for the sticky stuff to get on the connector when it goes bad. I think you have found your problem. This may be the way yours looks like inside between the ICM and the coil pack.

ICM-magnavox-4.jpg

• Like 1

Been a while but think it is the orange thingie in the picture.

BTW there are three nuts that hold the ICM on. Two are easy, one is near impossible. I usually leave that one off.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Padgett said:

Been a while but think it is the orange thingie in the picture.

BTW there are three nuts that hold the ICM on. Two are easy, one is near impossible. I usually leave that one off.

It appears that the pad is already gone on my connector and I suspect the previous owner may have had issues. I was feeling around underneath and thinking how challenging it might be to get those nuts off… so have you had the same problem with E042 code  ?

No, just replaced Magnavox with Delco. Needed to replace a couple of coils but no big.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, the photo shows the pad on the ICM connection. I have ordered an OEM Magnavox ICM since I’ve already invested in the Magnavox coil pack. Thanks again to Ronnie and Padgett for your help.

• Like 1

I installed a new ICM being very careful to put the wires back exactly as they were and now  there’s a crank but no start  issue. Obviously not getting spark. The factory service manual is very vague about the ICM replacement and doesn’t suggest any reset procedures. Any ideas ?

Are you possibly trying to start the engine without bolting the ICM down? The ICM must be bolted down so it gets a ground though the base plate.

As far as I know there is no reset procedure. It should start right up after installing the new ICM.

Single screw connector is notorious for poor connections. Try pushing hard on the ends or remove cushion inside.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Are you possibly trying to start the engine without bolting the ICM down? The ICM must be bolted down so it gets a ground though the base plate.

Yes ,it’s bolted down. I took everything back apart and thoroughly cleaned the base plate, checking all the connections. Thanks for your reply 

14 minutes ago, Padgett said:

Single screw connector is notorious for poor connections. Try pushing hard on the ends or remove cushion inside.

I’ve had the connector on and off a number of times. The only thing I haven’t done is pull the cushion on the new ICM. It was firing right up before the replacement, but with E042 code and default spark mode. So the connector/wires were on the suspect  list, but I was getting spark. Thanks for your reply 

ICM number two is on the way. This time a Delphi  instead of the AC Delco 🤞  Oh, and Padgett was right about that third nut. Just as it came off the last thread it slipped between my fingers and disappeared. Currently only two nuts holding the ICM on. Is there any possibility that one nut could effect the ground ?

I left that nut off when I installed my ICM about 10 years ago. No problems.

• Like 1

I would  install the old ICM and make sure it will start with it.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I would  install the old ICM and make sure it will start with it.

It was firing right away with the old ICM. The old one was showing some bubbling of the potting material on the connector end and the connector itself was sticky. Process of elimination. Worst case scenario I end up with spare parts. Thanks 

• Like 1

Update - the car is no longer bricked. The Delphi ICM is installed and the car runs and drives. That’s the good news, the bad news is that I still have E042 code and limp home mode so it looks like new wires/14 pin  connector is on the horizon…