Chrome Bumper Anodized Aluminum Cleaner

Bertimus

This is a pretty common topic. How does one clean the chrome on the bumper? After doing research I found out it's not chrome, but anodized aluminum, which is aluminum treated with an extremely hard finish. Found out quickly that the even the best detailing products will make it shinier, and clean it decently, but will not get rid of water staining and fogginess.

After multiple attempts with every cleaner in my arsenal, I did some more research and came across Flitz Polish. Amazing, made in USA family owned company with 30ish? (Maybe more) years of experience. Plus this polish is environmentally friendly. I'm a believer now.

This is not an ad, just thought I'd share this find with you guys and save you the headache I went through. I was getting ready to dismantle the bumper for a complete strip and refinish, but I figured I'd give this stuff a try first. Extremely glad I did. It definitely takes some substantial elbow grease, but it's well worth it. Takes about 15 mins of hard rubbing per 6 inches of bumper if you do it by hand w/cloth. Obviously will be faster with a buffer. I recommend the paste over liquid, as it has more concentrated cleaning power and leaves a highly protective finish coat. You can also use this stuff to restore your paint. I posted pictures below, sorry about their quality but you can still see the clear difference in luster and the elimation of water staining/fog. 

Cheers Reatta community!

20210124_214813.jpg

20210124_214728.jpg

20210124_215843.jpg

Edited by Bertimus
  • Like 2

• Bertimus changed the title to Chrome Bumper Anodized Aluminum Cleaner

I bought the paste form on eBay yesterday.  Once it arrives and once it warms up around early May, I will buff it on and hopefully get great results (like what I see with yours).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Thanks for sharing. Looks like it improved the finish on the bumper.

I was inspecting it in the sun today, it looks phenomenal. Fogginess and water stains are completely remedied. And like I mentioned, I used a number of other cleaners to no avail. Even buffed it. Nothing. This stuff is some kind of magic. Do not use on the center caps of the rims though! Will strip the finish. The rims are fine but not caps.

43 minutes ago, ship said:

I bought the paste form on eBay yesterday.  Once it arrives and once it warms up around early May, I will buff it on and hopefully get great results (like what I see with yours).

I have a feeling you will be very happy with it! Remember, anodized treatment is no joke, so concentrate on sections at a time, and spend a good amount of time on each. It's worth it. I did mine by hand so I imagine it will be an easier process with a buffer ??

• Thanks 1