Barn Find?!?!?!

Belair0419

I just took a look at the eBay ad for the first time and it brought to mind some questions. Below are a few of the specs for the car listed in the advertisement that caught my eye. I'm not saying they a wrong. I'm just wondering if I'm wrong.

1. I thought the L32 3800 had a fly-by-wire throttle control system.  Am I wrong about that?
When I look at the photos of the engine in the eBay ad I see what appears to be cables going to the throttle.

2. I didn't think the 4T60E transmission had a throttle valve cable to control downshifts. Am I wrong about that?
When I look at the car on GMtuners.com, I see an adapter that was fabricated for a throttle linkage that appear to connect to a throttle valve cable on the transmission.

3. I didn't think the original ECM for a '90 model had the capability to control an electronic shift 4T60E transmission even with reprogramming. Am I wrong about that?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buick L32 3800 Series III Performance built Motor.
Custom 3.5 diameter cold air Induction
Tuned Original ECM
Smaller 3.5 diameter supercharger pulley
HD 4T60E transmission and Torque converter from Triple Edge Performance

Good questions.

I noted on the GM Tuners site it says the transaxle is a performance built 4T60? so something is listed incorrectly, somewhere. It certainly does appear that is a TV cable and adjuster. I know on the L27 intake manifold I used on one of my engines, the small arm to operate that cable was missing from the throttle body but it was a bolt on part that could be added from an LN3 throttle body. 

I think you are correct Series III engines are drive by wire but usually there is a cable operated throttle body that can be adapted. I know when I have seen articles about other engines on the dyno, they many times have a cable throttle body substituted. That very question appears in other forums from people adapting more modern 3800's to older models.

I am a neophyte on the ECM capability but I do know that there are no apparent controls in the PROM for transmission functions. Either the ad is wrong and it is a 4T60 hydraulic transaxle, or perhaps a piggyback controller was used. It isn't mentioned so that doesn't sound correct. Later models used a Powertrain Control Module, PCM, for all functions, rather than the two discrete units we have. Actually thinking about it, what controls the "e" transmission in a '91 Reatta? As far as I know the instrument panel and diagnostic functions are the same as the '90, so assuming the ECM is different or a PCM type is installed ???

• Like 1

It has hit reserve. I set the Buy-it-Now for what I think the car is worth considering the previous owner spent $14,000 with Ryan for the work. 

I set the reserve at exactly what I have in the car. As I said before seemed like a special car and I wanted to rescue it. If it bids higher by 6pm CST then that will be great. 

I would love to keep it as it is a blast to drive but won't leave it outside.

Ryan said it was an interesting project for a number of reasons. He did say the stock ECU was used. 

The trans is a 4T60E not a 65. My guess is to avoid the problems you indicated.

I really wonder with the extra power that the convertible doesn't suffer from "cowl shake"...

22 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

I really wonder with the extra power that the convertible doesn't suffer from "cowl shake"...

I wondered the same thing, not cowl shake specifically, but I would rather see more power in a coupe just for reasons of strength and rigidity.

18 minutes ago, 2seater said:

I wondered the same thing, not cowl shake specifically, but I would rather see more power in a coupe just for reasons of strength and rigidity.

I agree that set up should be in a coupe...