A day with my Reatta

Ronnie

I spent a lot of the day getting my Reatta ready to close out another year of driving. This time of year I usually wash it, wax it and put the cover on it in anticipation of bad weather even though I still drive it when I get a warm day just to keep the battery charged and the drivetrain lubricated.

It was getting about time for an oil change so I went ahead and did that before I took it outside for a wash. It was about 60* here today so it was a nice sunny day to do it. I did a really good job which meant cleaning inside the wheel wells and wiping down the door jambs and under the hood.  As I was washing it I had in the back of my mind that I might be doing the last really good wash job if I decide to sell it but who knows? After looking at it when it's had a fresh wax job I have a hard time wanting to sell it.

Every time I wash my Reatta I can't help admire it. It is probably the best looking 2 seater I've owned and I've owned several. I have mixed emotions about selling it.

When I look at it I can't help wonder what GM was thinking when they designed it. It looks fast but it's not. Why didn't they make it rear wheel drive? Why didn't they give a supercharger or a turbo so it would have some power? Why didn't they offer a 4 or 5 speed transmission to make it sportier and more fun to drive? With just a few changes they could have made a car that would have sold faster than they could make them.  It could have been Buick's 2 seat equivalent of the Grand National Buick that is so popular and sought after. It was an opportunity missed. In my opinion someone at Buick should have had their ass kicked...

• Ronnie featured this topic