Touch up paint for 1988 Reatta coupe

RI10121

Hello,  Is there a paint product to touch up the alloy wheels and valve covers for the 3800 engine?

If not, is there a color description for each?

Thanks for reading,

Henry

1988 Coupe, white, white trim, beechwood interior

New member, Cranston, RI

My 1989 Reatta has discolored wheels and caps, but no corrosion or scrapes. I was able to clean off one of the hub caps using brake cleaner and 0000 steel wool, and I think it will work for the wheels as well. The discoloration appears to be the clear coat rather than the metal, and the brake cleaner dissolves the clear without damaging the metal. I'll let you know how it works out.

My 1989 Reatta has discolored wheels and caps, but no corrosion or scrapes.  I was able to clean off one of the hub caps using brake cleaner and 0000 steel wool, and I think it will work for the wheels as well.  The discoloration appears to be the clear coat rather than the metal, and the brake cleaner dissolves the clear without damaging the metal.  I'll let you know how it works out.

That might work out really well. The aluminum wheels can be refinished but it is a lot of work. I refinished a set of Mustang wheels I use to have on my Reatta. It is documented here. Aluminum Wheel Refinishing

Thanks for this information.

Henry

Just as info: I think the only year that had painted wheels were the '91 models. Other years had aluminum clear coated wheels.

My 1989 Reatta has discolored wheels and caps, but no corrosion or scrapes.  I was able to clean off one of the hub caps using brake cleaner and 0000 steel wool, and I think it will work for the wheels as well.  The discoloration appears to be the clear coat rather than the metal, and the brake cleaner dissolves the clear without damaging the metal.  I'll let you know how it works out.

Thank you for this suggestion. The wheels on my 1988 Reatta are in good condition.

What I need is to touch up some small scratches and chips. I am looking at some automotive

retailers and on line sites to purchase brush on paint.

Best regards,

Henry

Following up on cleaning the Reatta wheel caps, I got them all done tonight.  I used brake cleaner, 0000 steel wool, some paper towels, NevR-Dull metal polish, and a clean rag towel.  The caps on my car were very cloudy, due to the clear coat aging.  I stripped off the clear coat with steel wool and brake cleaner, wiping the residue off with a paper towel.  When I got all the clear coat off, I polished the metal with NevR-Dull and buffed it out with the old towel.  As you can see in the photos, the difference is amazing, especially for less than 15 minutes a cap.  I think the wheels will respond pretty much the same, as they have no visible damage.

reatta_cap1.jpg.3c475fa3fab87051fe380ecf04bdc121.jpg

reatta_cap2.jpg.4a6653a73b2ef05c4ae60a278fda190e.jpg

Your caps now look good.

I used on the wheels and caps Mothers Mag Wheel Cleaner, (2 coats) applied with

microfiber cloth. A few days later, applied two coats of Meguairs NXT liquid on microfiber

cloth and buffed with Mothers Powerball. Wheels now look a lot better than before.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Henry