1990 brake pump relay

Reattasteve

My brake pump relay has died twice causing me to have no brakes. I replace it and it goes out again. What problem should I be looking for, a bad pump or a bad brake pressure switch. If it's either one or both I know it's going to cost bucks.

Thanks,

Reattasteve

Maybe it is just a bad relay. Are you using new ones or do you have a supply of used ones. Another thing is to check the pins on the relay when yooy take it out. Are they "burnt"? Maybe the voltage is arcing and not making a good connection.

How does the relay fail. Does it fail to pick up or are the contacts inside burning up?

Not sure. I just know when I put in a new relay the brajes work again. The contacts don't look burnt.

Maybe it is just a bad relay. Are you using new ones or do you have a supply of used ones. Another thing is to check the pins on the relay when yooy take it out. Are they "burnt"? Maybe the voltage is arcing and not making a good connection.

No I'm using brand new ones. The old relay looks good. No burnt pins.

Does the fuse for the brake pump ever blow? If the pump stalls for some reason the fuse should blow instead of the relay being overloaded. I wuold make certain that fuse is the correct size. Maybe you have just got unlucky with the relays. Possibly the next one will last a long time. It's not uncommon to get defective electrical parts nowadays.

Yeh with everything being made overseas. Took it out today to gas it up and go to the store and everything seemed fine. Got my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the input

If it were me I would throw a spare relay in the trunk and not worry about it unless it keep happening often. Then some troubleshooting will be needed to find out what is causing them to fail.