What did you do with your Reatta today.

DAVES89

Yesterday I was out running appointments, this time with the Reatta. I'm at Culvers an upscale fast food restaurant waiting for my client to arrive, when one of the workers comes up to me and asks me if I'm the owner of the Reatta out there. Turns out he had a 1989, but sold it due to rust issues. Always wanted to buy another, but not yet. He then said he had a set of snow tires mounted on 15" Reatta wheels and would I be interested. I know the bolt size is the same on the Regal, and they came with 15" wheels standard, so depending on the price and how old they are, I might be interested. 

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

He then said he had a set of snow tires mounted on 15" Reatta wheels and would I be interested. I know the bolt size is the same on the Regal, and they came with 15" wheels standard, so depending on the price and how old they are, I might be interested. 

It has been many years since I've seen any snow tires. I don't believe I have ever saw snow tires on a FWD car.  For FWD vehicles, do you just put them on the front for traction, or do you put them on all four wheels to help with stopping to?

Posted (edited)

I put them on all 4 wheels. Helps with tracking and stopping. I have had them in the past and dedicated snow tires adds a lot to driver confidence.

Edited by DAVES89
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Back in the mid 60's it was my practice to put "studded" snow tires on my '64 Corvette rear wheels.   The studs were metal and things were alot safer driving on them.

Before I retired I had to drive 42 miles on I-40 to get to where I worked. I lived on a big hill back then so If it snowed much I would just stay home.

My neighbor at that time gave me a pair of wheels with studded snow tires that would fit my little S-10 pickup. He had brought them with him when he moved to TN from Ohio. The next time it snowed a few inches I put the studded snow tires on my S-10. They worked great in the snow on the way to work. I didn't hardly spin a tire. I felt confident that I could go anywhere in the snow.

While I was at work, the highway crews and the sun got rid of about all the snow from I-40. When I started home it sounded like I was constantly driving over rumble strips like they put on the side of the highways that let you know you are running off the road. The noise and vibration was so bad in that little S-10 that I couldn't go over about 45-50 MPH on the Interstate. People were pissed because I was going so slow and blew their horn at me as they went by. It seemed like it took forever to get home with those snow tires vibrating and roaring and people blowing their horns at me. I never used those snow tires again. 🙂 

I used to put studded tires on my '94 Thunderbird every year due to the car having such lousy traction.  In MA, you could only have them on a vehicle from Nov 1 till Apr 1.  Otherwise, you'd get a ticket.

• Agree 1

Not related to my car, but the black 88 that my son purchased from Daves89. He was having random loss of brake boost, first noticed on a recent warm day here. While the brake pump ran, and would come up to pressure, it was slow to do so. The fluid level drop appeared normal for an operational accumulator. The pump even sounded weak or slow. He decided to go to the local junkyard that Dave is very familiar with and I had warned my son that Dave had mentioned it looked like the days were numbered for being able to mine the available donors. In any case, he found two complete boost pumps which he salvaged. We had made plans to test the salvaged parts but before we could get together he installed one of the pumps and it now sounds much healthier and lights now go out much more quickly. We also verified that the later model pump with the steel pressure line can be substituted for the 88 pump that uses the high pressure hose. The thread sizes are different but a simple thread adapter bushing can be installed in the larger opening of the late model pump and the smaller banjo style bolt for the hose threads right in. Pump with steel line is M10 x 1.0, and the early pump with the hose is M8 x 1.0.

• Like 2

hey i drove it to work !! needs an alignment but driving , running pretty good, starting much better, but yesterday i had a fuel smell, turned out upon installation of my new injectors i tore 2 of the top o-rings

and was leaking pretty bad!  sunday i had installed new Bosch type 3 injectors and the new PCV valve and new grommets that were leaking bad as all this stuff was original, 35 year old stuff! vac lines are pretty dry rotted so i am working thru that but some lines replaced this past weekend. Next up is getting front alignment done and the A/C charged its just a bit weak. 

• Like 1

Rad, did you notice any substantial improvement in performance from the Bosch injectors?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2024 at 3:15 PM, wufibugs said:

Rad, did you notice any substantial improvement in performance from the Bosch injectors?

hard to say, i did too many things one after the other  before i realized my biggest issue was the crank sensor, but i it does seem to be running much smoother , acceleration was weak before and now strong . 

I have new injectors, fuel pressure regulator, filter, new ignition wires, coils, plugs , crank sensor, ….. lots of stuff each of which has helped i’m sure 

another project completed that made a huge difference in how the car was running and idling, i went thru the dx screen and codes , had a code for the cruise servo, ordered a new one on Rock Auto,. installation took all of about 20 minutes, maybe 30 once vac lines was replaced since the connection was cracked on the old one and broke off inside the hose, but once that all was done , took it out for a test drive and i guess that was one cause for vac leak and why the idle was slow and varied up and down. now it is steady and constant idle, and the cruise now works perfectly. 

Drove to work today and enjoyed being able to set the cruise on the highway for my 20 mile commute. 

• Like 3