What did you do with your Reatta today.

DAVES89

On another note, with all the driving I have been doing in the "new" Black i really have been missing my compass rear view mirror that is in my other two cars. So yesterday in she went and now when I am driving I always have a good idea where my Garmin is taking me and if the way it wants me to go is the quickest way. 

I glance at the compass in my mirror quite often when back in the mountains where my phone has no signal. When on unfamiliar roads it's nice to know if I'm headed toward home or away from home.

I've been swapping relays around in the relay/fuse box under the hood to keep my cornering lights on, but to no avail. So tomorrow I am swapping in new relays. Hopefully that will keep them working...

Edited by DAVES89

I drove the Reatta about 100 miles today. I had to take advantage of another beautiful Fall day. I think it was 69 degrees today. Not going to be a lot of them left this year so I'm taking advantage of them while I can.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I drove the Reatta about 100 miles today. I had to take advantage of another beautiful Fall day. I think it was 69 degrees today. Not going to be a lot of them left this year so I'm taking advantage of them while I can.

I've thought over the years about getting a different car for everyday driving and just having the Red for "special times" like you Ronnie. But then I come back to the fact that I really enjoy driving these cars and they really are dependable drivers. But as of now I have the three Reattas and they don't bring much selling value, so I guess I'll do what I have always said "Just drive the wheels off" and when they are worn out maybe I'll go in a different direction [car wise]. 

I read about the nice weather south of Dave and I with a touch of jealousy? Getting a thunderstorm @ 39*, the high for today, as I write this. Snow likely tomorrow so several of my family and a neighbor pushed the donor Reatta onto the lift in anticipation of poor weather. It may only be temporary but eventually the ‘90 will be spotted in below and we didn’t want the upper car drooling on the one below. Gives me a chance to see if swapping out the rear suspension is a practical idea for the black car?

• Like 1

Dave, I say if you enjoy driving your Reatta every day, do it. As you say, it's not going to hurt it;s value. With that said, I can tell you it seems to be more exciting to get in my Reatta and drive after being away from it for a while. When my knee was giving me trouble that made it almost impossible to get in my Reatta for a couple of months, it was like driving my Reatta for the first time when my knee was well enough that I could get back in it.  I still like my old 2001 GMC truck best for daily driving because it is soooo easy for a big man to get in and out of. I like it for daily driving short distances much better than even my low mileage Chevy Equinox, which is an excellent vehicle, but there is just something about that old truck that I like. That's the reason I say drive what you like best.

While driving today my daughter and I got in a discussion about this website and forum. She asked what we talked about on here and I told her it was mostly about helping people who have problems with their Reatta. She said, "What problems? Yours has been almost trouble free and has never let you down.".  She is right. I've had very few problems with my Reatta and when it comes down to it I think most Reattas are dependable cars. Most people just don't understand them and panic when something goes wrong because they can't find someone who can fix it and let it go for nearly nothing. That gives them a bad reputation and drives down the value of all Reattas. I doubt that is ever going to change.

10 minutes ago, 2seater said:

I read about the nice weather south of Dave and I with a touch of jealousy? Getting a thunderstorm @ 39*, the high for today, as I write this. Snow likely tomorrow...

Sorry to hear that. We are going to get some rain tonight with temp going down to 41*. After that it looks like it will be sunny and in the mid 60s next week.  That's still pretty nice driving weather. I have a little jealousy of your lift. ?

Ronnie, I know exactly what you are saying about getting in the Reatta after not driving it for a while. That is why I like having a "winter" Reatta and a "summer" Reatta with the convertible use sprinkled in. It makes it seem different in a good way. These are really nice cars and I am so glad I got into them all those years [13] ago. And for the miles I drive very low maintenance. 

I too have a jealousy of that lift. The Black needs a new rack and pinion which I didn't expect. Because I wasn't paying attention I also ruined the tires, so I am looking at tires as well. As I don't have a rack I'm not doing it laying on my back so I believe next week I start shopping for both tires and the rack.

I have been looking at this through the wrong end of the telescope thinking $1000.00 for rack, labor, tires and an alignment is too much, but then I thought "Dummy, you bought the car for $1000.00 of course it is going to need something. Spend the money".  

So as I said off to a couple of shops for pricing. I already have one for $600.00 w/o the tires.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

I have been looking at this through the wrong end of the telescope thinking $1000.00 for rack, labor, tires and an alignment is too much, but then I thought "Dummy, you bought the car for $1000.00 of course it is going to need something. Spend the money".  

I'm in the same boat Dave.  I'm wrestling with spending money on my 2001 GMC pickup truck. I bought it dirt cheap from my cousin who's husband bought it new. He died suddenly from a stroke and she just wanted it out of her sight. After sales tax and a lot of new parts, shocks, belts tuneup parts, etc. I'm all in at $1350. That's nothing for a truck in good condition, no rust, that you can drive anywhere. But for some reason I'm reluctant to spend the money to replace the fuel pump (bad sending unit) and pay someone to replace the timing chain (for piece of mind at 150k miles) and put an oil pan gasket on it. Weird isn't it. It's almost like I'm playing a game with myself to see how little I can spend on it.

Ronnie, that is a great way to put it. I'm spending the money. I called Tires Plus and they want $715.00 for the work and parts. So it looks like the near by guy is getting it, but I still want to stop by Baumgarts and see what they say...

• Like 1

I sometimes use car payments as my yardstick to decide. I am not even sure what to use as the car payment amount as it has been a long time since I have had one, but it helps ground me in reality. It would always be easy if there was some sort of catastrophic problem, but the creeping, continuous small things do drive ya nuts. I do like the analogy of a game for low cost maintenance.

• Like 1

Ronnie, what was that switch you used for disconnecting the battery for storage? I think I will need one for the 'vert.

On 11/15/2020 at 12:44 PM, DAVES89 said:

Ronnie, that is a great way to put it. I'm spending the money. I called Tires Plus and they want $715.00 for the work and parts. So it looks like the near by guy is getting it, but I still want to stop by Baumgarts and see what they say...

Baumgarts must like me. The price is $550.00 parts, labor, alignment, and taxes included. 

• Like 4

I need some help identifying 3 items that have been found in the garage over the last 6 weeks ... garage keeps a Reatta a Chrysler minivan and a cub cadet garden tractor?!  

Thanks for your help in advance!!5314E0E6-9674-47A4-8AAF-7930286B9CCE.thumb.jpeg.f70c7d91beb72535c50d755224de0388.jpeg4C171BFC-72F5-492C-A60E-B7D2A6AD64F1.thumb.jpeg.318b7a6268e937b2a1199d35120ed11f.jpeg