Trunk lock cover replacement

Posti

The outer cover for my trunk lock popped off tonight - I found the cover and door, and located an old thread from 2010 on replacing it.  Are the repair kits still available anywhere?  Back in 2010, one of the members was selling them.  Were the electric locks used on any other GM cars?

Thanks! I got lucky - the cover fell off in a parking lot and I gathered up the parts - the door assembly was undamaged and had the springs intact and in place. I just have to put it back on. Has anyone tried a couple of drops of Superglue? Considering the involved procedure to get to the lock, and the somewhat iffy 'repair', I think I'll give it a shot first.

You are lucky! I just assumed the springs had been lost. Same thing happened to me. I lost the springs but put the rest back on.

On all my cars the lock doesn't work so I put some "Gorilla" Duct Tape on the key hole. Works good.

I also use Gorilla duct tape as end caps on my 1989 inside door panels. It looks good and holds well.

As a follow-on, I cleaned the outer cover, repainted it with satin black paint, put the inner door assembly in place and secured the outer cover with some Superglue. It seems to be on tight and the lock works fine. As long as it holds up, it's a lot faster and easier than disassembling the back of the car!