Engine died and no lights

retired mechanic74

...Went to Michigan for Thanksgiving and while I was there I lost all of my lights and the engine died and would not restart. Thankfully I was at my son's house when it happened. I wound up having to completely remove the dash. I found a burned spot on the bridge. The bridge is a 5" long and 3" wide black box that connects the left side dash harness to the right side dash harness. In the far right corner of the bridge is an orange wire and the contacts were burned. I cut the wire out of the bridge and connected the wire together with spade connectors. I not only got my lights back and the engine running but now I no longer have to use my fog light switch for my running lights and my headlight doors open with the headlight switch and everything is working like it was meant to. 

....Then on the way back ( I had about 300 miles to go) I lost my IPC all the bulbs worked but no florescent lighting. I couldn't tell how fast I was going or what state my gas gage  was in. I noticed that the CRT was crystal clear. I was having a problem with the forth line on the CRT screen blurring and hard to read. Once the IPC went out that problem was corrected. So if any of you happen to have a similar problem with the CRT unplug the IPC before you condemn the CRT.

...One thing I would like to mention about the bridge is .....Inside the bridge (both sides) is a bare copper wire that is laced through selected contacts (Bad engineering) This copper wire is unprotected and comes very close to contacts that are not connected to the wire. I found that when heat enters the equation this wire can move and ground to those contacts and can cause a short. I removed the bridge protectors (to gain access to the copper wires on both sides of the bridge and coated the copper wires with silicone sealer. Just FYI.

:S .  What part of Michigan.  I spent most of my life around the Grand Rapids area and actually worked with a gal who owned a new red Buick Reatta.

....Then on the way back ( I had about 300 miles to go) I lost my IPC all the bulbs worked but no florescent lighting. I couldn't tell how fast I was going or what state my gas gage  was in. I noticed that the CRT was crystal clear. I was having a problem with the forth line on the CRT screen blurring and hard to read. Once the IPC went out that problem was corrected. So if any of you happen to have a similar problem with the CRT unplug the IPC before you condemn the CRT.

It is possible that the IPC problem could have been pulling power away from the CRT causing the blurring lines. BTW, you could have used the BCM data on the CRT to read fuel in the tank (BD40) as well as the speed (BD60).

It is possible that the IPC problem could have been pulling power away from the CRT causing the blurring lines. BTW, you could have used the BCM data on the CRT to read fuel in the tank (BD40) as well as the speed (BD60).

....Thanks Ronnie that's something I didn't know. I have the car in the garage and I'm going to tear it down for repairs but first I have to get my hotrod out so I have something to drive while fixing it.

:S .  What part of Michigan.  I spent most of my life around the Grand Rapids area and actually worked with a gal who owned a new red Buick Reatta.

....In the thumb area on the Canadian border.  A town called Algonac, they have T-shirts there that say "where the hells Algonac"?

....Thanks Ronnie that's something I didn't know. I have the car in the garage and I'm going to tear it down for repairs but first I have to get my hotrod out so I have something to drive while fixing it.

Every Reatta owner should get to know that Diagnostic Booklet. It is so handy when you learn how to use it.

Every Reatta owner should get to know that Diagnostic Booklet. It is so handy when you learn how to use it.

....I know the diagnostic's from being a Cadillac mechanic but failed to realize that it was the same application, old age does strange things to the brain. Thanks again.